Author Topic: The Christmas Season is with Us - Looking back in East Africa  (Read 8534 times)

MwanaMokili on: December 01, 2017, 05:57

• View Profile

There are some classics from Zairean Musicians that get the old bones creaking when they are played today.
The hits below managed to create Christmass cheer in Nairobi and East Africa in the 70's.

The First one in the list is by the Father of Zairean Music in East Africa.

Baba Gaston ( Ilunga Wa Ilunga) is arguably the most influential man who brought Zairean musicians to East Africa through his group Orchestre Baba National. Through him groups like Mangelepa, Bwambe Bwambe and others came to the Centre of Music in East Africa looking to make their mark.

This hit was done in the Mid 70's, I think 1975 (Apologies for the poor sound due to age )

Kakolele Viva Christmas:

Here is an incomplete but better copy :

The vocalist in this song I think is Kasongo Wa Kanema who came to East Africa through Baba National. Kasongo and the whole crew left Baba National to form Orchestre Bwambe Bwambe and after that group disintegrated he went on to join Super Mazembe.

I will try and get to do a feature of Ilunga Wa Ilunga later.

The second hit is by Samba Mapangala's Les Kinios called Furaha ya Christmas done in 1977 :

Orchestre Jobiso was not strictly a Zairean Band. It was an off-shoot of  Tanzania's Simba Wa Nyika. One of the three founders of simba Wa Nyika formed Jobiso after the fallout.

Enjoy !!