Author Topic: TABU LEY OR FRANCO LUAMBO  (Read 5030 times)

Manzambi94 on: August 19, 2016, 10:46

• View Profile
To you who was the guy that influenced Congolese music more, Tabu Ley was the most known and loved artist, who did classics like Mokolo Nakokufa and Kaful Mayay while Franco was a bit of a rebel, brave enough to sing songs like Jackie but also intelligent and wise to sing songs like Mbongo and Mario.

archos #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:19

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
 hahaha jackie was hardcore,id say both until today their style are used even though it has been kind of killed by computer programming and the confusion with tchatcho
but philosophy wise,romantism of tabu ley is still there and society issues are also still there through for example reddy and karmapa

Manzambi94 #2 on: August 19, 2016, 21:56

• View Profile
hahaha jackie was hardcore,id say both until today their style are used even though it has been kind of killed by computer programming and the confusion with tchatcho
but philosophy wise,romantism of tabu ley is still there and society issues are also still there through for example reddy and karmapa
Yep, I really can't say who was better being very young and just listening to studio songs, but it is an hard choice, is a draw to me.

bencuri #3 on: August 19, 2016, 22:53

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My friend from Congo said that most Congolese musicians and bands are the "students" of the African Fiesta branch. Also read in a book that OK Jazz did not have real followers and their style got into a dead end. If these things are really true, then in long term African Fiesta had more impact on Congolese music. But on the other hand, Franco is often considered the most famous Congolese musician. So it depends. Personally, I know musicians who praise Franco. I'd rather say however, that Zaiko and Manuaku had much more impact on the Congolese music we listen to knowdays than those two. The new wave of Congolese music originates from them more than from Tabu Ley or Franco.

EMOVICTEAM #4 on: August 20, 2016, 06:11

• View Profile
Talent in singing, tabu ley, talent in guitar, Franco, talent in leading and band management, Franco, rich discography, Franco, penetration, Franco. Guess who wins.

Manzambi94 #5 on: August 21, 2016, 08:20

• View Profile
My friend from Congo said that most Congolese musicians and bands are the "students" of the African Fiesta branch. Also read in a book that OK Jazz did not have real followers and their style got into a dead end. If these things are really true, then in long term African Fiesta had more impact on Congolese music. But on the other hand, Franco is often considered the most famous Congolese musician. So it depends. Personally, I know musicians who praise Franco. I'd rather say however, that Zaiko and Manuaku had much more impact on the Congolese music we listen to knowdays than those two. The new wave of Congolese music originates from them more than from Tabu Ley or Franco.
I think that both styles, the Franco's one and the Tabu's are really hard to replicate, this is why even though they had a huge success it was stuck in their generation, while Zaiko making a more rhytmique musique and really enjoyable to dance kinda started the trend, now-a-days it is all made for the donors, with very low quality of songwriters so it is really hard to replicate the quality of those songs