Author Topic: The late Stervos Niarcos was a big songwriter  (Read 2070 times)

Mfumu Vata on: March 09, 2021, 17:26

• View Profile

Singing that Europe isn't a paradise and some realities, for example about how people went to Europe by selling their familyhouse

Here Stervos is asking himself when the pain of Africa is stopping, that Africans have to stop hating against each other and be united, etc. In the second part he's singing in Kiteke. Stervos was a muteke of Kinshasa, but he had relatives in Brazzaville on the other side of river, who were also muteke. Since before the colonization, they used to go to the other side of the river and vice-versa. The Tekes are  along with the Humbus the tribes of Kinshasa. Bateke lost and sold their villages/ground in Ngiri-Ngiri, Kasa-Vubu, Limete, Kintambo, Lingwala Ngaliema and Lemba, etc. Seeing quickly tribes around them dominating them.

Singing about fake people

Wemba was a big thief by crediting this song to himself. He betrayed himself by singing that "When Stanley came he met my grandfather Ngaliema". Ngaliema was a muteke and the head of Kinshasa at time, while Wemba is a mutelela. The song a big message, but most people didn't follow the message and just danced on it. It was totally misinterpretted when the combattans-phenomenon came.

Stervos being homesickness thinking about Brazzaville and Kinshasa. He's singing about the feeling many Congolese people who came in the 80s & 90s had about starting life over again in Europe.

J Silu #1 on: March 11, 2021, 20:26

• View Profile
Oh he was actually a songwriter?

How did he get into recording songs?

I wonder how the likes of him and Modogo Gianfranco Ferre begin to record songs.

Because I know they were people of higb influence regarding clothes, sappeurs.

Ammo_Jaymz #2 on: March 11, 2021, 20:59

• View Profile
I didn't know much about Niarchos up until I randomly came across "Dernier coup de siflet"..

On researching there was very little info about him but for Sure.. Niarchos, Wemba n Bozi made a fantastic trio...
Dernier Coup de siflet and Nostalgie personelle are hot tracks.. good music..

I also came across an interview on youtube(I don't know much lingala.. I'm from Kenya but from the bits n pieces I could connect  I think Bozi was saying.. some people claim he abandoned Niarchos.. and others blame him for Niarchos' troubles.. I think even death...or something of the sort...

Does anyone have Any information about that story or their relationship?  I've also read somewhere that at some point Niarchos n Wemba had a disagreement and fell out. any info on this would be appreciated

Mfumu Vata #3 on: March 11, 2021, 21:07

• View Profile
Stervos Niarcos was a big gangster most of his friends were killed when by Mobutu at Stade de 20 Mai before the Mohammed Ali vs George Foreman fight, because Mobutu didn't want any trouble. Stervos Niarcos was at time lucky to have escaped to Brazzaville. He and his friend Kula Mambo were sapeurs and tried to iniate Bozi Boziana in their cult. But Bozi wasn't promoting it in Zaiko, like the way Wemba would later do. Stervos Niarcos was also one of the guys who co-founded Papa Wemba along with Shaguy Sharufa, Sacre Zaza and co. Stervos started to give Bozi Boziana some songs (songs like Toutou) and also to start give songs to Wemba (first Jeune Premier which was dedicated to himself and later Matebu which was dedicated to his wife). He started to sing in the Proclamation-album (his first song were he sung was Champs Elysees, Proclamation was sung by Wemba himself). The funny thing is that when he started to sing, he said that Bozi Boziana copied his singing style, which made his friends laugh because Bozi already started singing in the 60s. In 1987 Stervos Niarcos released his first solo-album Coup de Sifflet which was a huge succes. He sung with Bozi Boziana and Papa Wemba. In 1988 he went to Kinshasa where he performed at Palais du Peuple along with Bozi Boziana, Papa Wemba and Emeneya. But the concert went wrong after that Stervos humilated Papa Wemba. There were concerts planned in Matadi and Boma, but they were all cancelled, because Wemba didn't want to participate anymore.

Wemba went quickly back to Europe and sended Modogo Gianfranco Ferre to attack him in the press and they recorded the song Place Vendome to diss Stervos Niarcos. After Denier Coup de Sifflet, Stervos also recorded the album Epaka Ekomi na 2eme Periode, Religion Kitendi and Bateke but didn't receive the succes Coup de Sifflet had.

Mfumu Vata #4 on: March 11, 2021, 21:18

• View Profile
Modogo Gianfranco Ferre started singing because music-fans were complaining that Viva La Musica wasn't singing songs from his album enough, while they were a huge. He started singing from the album 'Victime de la Mode' of 1992, but the album wasn't a big succes and people were seeing him as a faux chanteur. Modogo started his career as songwriter in 1986, when Emeneya came to Europe for recordings of his album Willo Mondo. It was normally Emeneya who had to sing on Jour J de l'Histoire Romain. But Emeneya stayed to long in Zaire and the project got later forgotten. Then when Viva La Musica came with Papa Wemba in 1987, Modogo asked Wemba for help and they agreed. Viva La Musica had back time alot of difficulties when they settled in Paris, Victoria Eleison, Anti Choc and Choc Stars weren't giving them space and were dominating them. The album Jour J helped along with Reddy's album Zakina to get Viva La Muisca back to the top. In 1989 they recorded Place Vendome which was again a huge succes. In 1991 they released Statue de la Liberte, which is seen as Modogo best album. Having the hit songs Top Model, Ami Gabin, Lumiere ya Trocadero and Statue de Liberte. The song Ba Venants was also a big hit and created a lot polemic in Europe. It was an attack of people who stayed for a long time in Europe towards newcomers. Demukuse decided write the song Reponse ya Venants which was a reaction to Modogo's song. It was often performed in concerts and also a big hit, but never recorded on an album. Demukuse wanted back then record an album after the split of Viva La Musica in 1992 (Awilo, Luciana, Bongo Wende, Fafa, Lidjo, Fataki and Matuta left to form Nouvelle Generation), but Papa Wemba refused.