Author Topic: Let's discuss Fally  (Read 13524 times)

rumbalova on: July 09, 2017, 09:44

• View Profile
Guys, is Fally Ipupa the genius and star extraordinaire we all feel and think that he is or are we tripping?

After listening to this new album, I came to the conclusion that there are french based Africans (more specifically Congolese) who have done and are currently doing the sound he is calling "world album" better and more polished than him. And what is even more crazy is that the reason the likes of MHD and all those European based Africans respect and seek him out is because to them he is the African who is doing African music, who is doing the real music that they the European based African artists regurgitate and sell to the European public. He is a reference to them in terms of style music culture etc etc. They respect him for being an African artist. But Fally is turning around and putting these guys on a pedestal and seeking them out. It is as if Fally does not really understand his own power and the dignity and respect that comes with that that everyone is bestowing on him but he turns around and acts insecure. He really is the child of Koffi in a way because I see the same lack of self awareness and understanding of power and projection in the childishness and immaturity that Koffi exhibits from time to time.

"Droit Chemin" was David Monsoh's genius project. It was Fally in the guidance of Monsoh. Besides that first album, what is and who is Fally as an artist? His work while he was in Quartier Latin was at the guidance of Koffi Olomide who is, as far as I am concerned, a genius, an artist with a longevity and relevance than any other artist on this planet, his shenanigans and madness regardless . We are talking late 1970s to 2017 and Koffi is still Koffi. Who else on this planet is on this level? On this level of relevance to the young and old past and present?

So, my people, what is the verdict on Fally Ipupa? Is he the present and future of Congolese music? Is he really "that dude" as the African Americans would say. Is he our African pop star extraordinaire? Is fally a genius on his own or is he a genius who can only be directed and brought to live by others, e.g. David Monsoh and Koffi Olomide?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:53 by rumbalova »

archos #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:12

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
i would say fally is one of our most talented  artists and one of our few artists with a career plan and challenges
he's done more or much more that what he used to dream about when still a street musician,but most of those who know him for a long time say he always aimed to be what he is trying to become today
obviously even the best artists of the world need guidance so does he especially coming  from a country where very very very few artists are like a professional artist should be,with professional managers,fashion advisers,private doctor,a proper artistic direction...
I dont want to bring names of other congolese artists in it but i think all in all what makes artists having different careers is talent and luck for success and vision to keep going and having challenges to fulfill
unfortunately(for me) most congolese artists have a unique plan for their career:being succesful,go from rags to riches money wise and that's it
as for the understanding is own power part,i think  a lot of them europe based guys or african guys also ask him for feats
dont get me wrong he has obvious flaws which i always mentioned but i genuinely think his biggest problem at the end of the day is being almost alone trying what he is trying,the day we will have  two three guys with the same determination to challenge themselves outside of the comfort of rumba sebene career,surely we will assess  better
because as for now all this seems so new to us that we tend to have it difficult to make a cold rational businness assessment of it,whereas all of this at the end of the day is business,just like in what we are used to selling songs and plenty of mabanga and touring abroad is our form of business

rumbalova #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:24

• View Profile
you might just be right archos. Fally might just be trying the impossible vision-wise and some of us are not giving him the space to accomplish it but at the time he is not doing his part in explaining himself to us his African fans of what he is attempting. We love him for being a Congolese artist not Mr. International. But that is the nature of the artists I suppose. they are enigmatic and inscrutable. I get what you are saying especially with the foundation charity etc etc he is involved with. the guy is a genuine guy. He is all in in his love and affection for Congo and Africa. he has to do a delicate balancing act with being a Congolese national and an African and International star.

SYMPLICITY #3 on: July 09, 2017, 17:35

• View Profile
I am a fan of Fally strictly for rhumba and sebene and while I respect his effort at the 'world album' knowing he had an audience he was trying to serve, I am not that audience. And can somebody tell me which audience Fally was targeting with this album? And doesnt that audience have their core artists who are better at it than what Fally has churned. I remain waiting for the anticipated rhumba album because when he puts his mind to it Fally is one of the top rhumba heads...
Cadenas(my all time fav), Attente, Liputa, Une Minute are some of the songs always on any playlist i create for personal enjoyment!!

archos #4 on: July 09, 2017, 17:50

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
the audience targetted is young guys from african origin born here,caribbean,young french men as like i said earlier for whatever reason on instrumental side  there has been quite some african vibe brought in by most of the commercial artists to extent that some guys here even say that rappers have become coupe decale artists because of the beats
if i recall well he once said his ultimate dream is to be number 1 on hit with both a world album and a rumba album(the rumba album is announced for september)

Mwana Nsalu #5 on: July 09, 2017, 19:33

• mama mabele ~ mother earth
    • View Profile
    • Tambour d'Afrique
he has the potential to be the huge international artist he aims to be. i think a few ppl around him may be too narrow minded as to what it takes so theyre hitting a few hurdles. Hes on the right path though.

archos #6 on: July 09, 2017, 21:16

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/article/2016/02/09/fally-ipupa-le-prince-congolais-de-la-rumba-mondialisee_4861938_3212.html

i found this old article on france's biggest or one of biggest press talking about his "international" career
he says he believes he has cemented something solid already in terms of career and popularity in africa so he wants to take challenge to take his music overseas
he says the legends like tabu ley,jb,werra,koffi and co unfortunately in his opinion did not really push to take congolese music out of africa and he briefly talk about the importance of social network for his image
and he says he wanted to continue doing african music but also mix it with other influence in order to get access to wider fanbase which is why he still is singing in lingala because he is very proud of his roots as much as he can even in crossover songs
so to try getting there  he got a great producer which was universal AZ then but he left them and went to warner elektra with julien creuzat the man who had signed him on universal,he seeked help of beatmaker skalpovich who is behind a huge number of big hits of here with the likes of magic system and co ,plus his feats(which have changed a bit),a mix of lingala,english and french
and his beatmaker skalp says he has the talent to really become  successful as an established franco african star
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 21:23 by archos »

rumbalova #7 on: July 09, 2017, 23:47

• View Profile
this sheds even more light on his vision and with that understanding it makes it easier for those of us confused about his moves to see what he is trying to do. 

archos #8 on: July 10, 2017, 00:16

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile

he'll be interviewed on surely the biggest radio show of urban music in france planete rap which had previously the wiz khalifa's and co plus french rappers as guests

Manzambi94 #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:42

• View Profile
I get what you are saying especially with the foundation charity etc etc he is involved with. the guy is a genuine guy. He is all in in his love and affection for Congo and Africa. he has to do a delicate balancing act with being a Congolese national and an African and International star.
He might be whatever as an artist but he is not a genuine guy, one time I have seen him in Paris and he didn't know me and my friends were Congolese, a bum asked him some money and initially he was going away but since he have seen us going to him for taking pics he quickly start to give some jumpchain to the bum, for his artistic side, I think this guy is very lucky, if Ferré released shit material, or Werra, or Koffi people would kill then, but whatever Fally does people like it, he puts Kiname as first single only for the golden disc while artistically it is a shit song, he will never be an international star if he keeps buying views and reposting Instagram videos deleting negative comments, P-Square, Magic System, Wizkid, Sarkodie did great music like Alingo, Chop My Money, E No Easy, 1er Gaou, Bouger Bouger, One Dance and Adonai songs who wnet international becuase they had a message and they were not trying to imitate no one so if Fally accept criticism he will be the greatest African artist ever if not he will be a superstar only for Congolese people.

Cavalier Solitaire #10 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47

• View Profile
One thing I don't get in the recent past with artists such as Fally is this self defeating perception that you can only become a world superstar by somehow changing the style of your music. As someone has already alluded to above, artists such as P Square, Magic System et al are renowned worldwide but haven't necessarily changed their original style of music from their country or region. If i may ask, Is one only an international artist when they sound American or European? Of-course we know that every type of music borrows from the other but not necessarily getting rid of your roots as a rumba artist. Rumba greats such as Franco, Madilu System, Koffi , Werrason, JB Mpiana are known internationally and some of them even won multiple international awards not because they sounded like a Nigerian or American artist but we loved them and still love them for their originality. I for one have no kind words for these "Mr International wannabes". Fally should stick to rumba and believe you me people will love him like they already do for his originality even though they understand little of what he sings about.

archos #11 on: July 10, 2017, 11:08

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
Magic system DID change one hell lot their music to settle here
their current music

and now their authentic music

here their very original rhythm which is called wôyô
  in this clip they talk about when they just landed in paris

i believe one thing we have to take into account as much as i am proud of our language,is the language factor
for example  michael jackson was known in the states,in a village of senegal, in a town of birmania,in brazil and so on because of the style of music first and the fact it was english
so do today the shakira beyonce and co
juste like the french speaking artists of europe especially the french african ones are known in france and all around the francophone countries, despite those countries having a lot of their stars with the authentic music from their country
 its a combo of language plus style of music, magic system do not play hardcore zouglou anymore just like  p square do not play highlife of  folklore like their  main music
look for example to what happened to youssou ndour when he aimed to go international,he had  one hit  feat neneh cherry and was asked to stick to singing in english for a good moment which apparently he refused and went back to his mbalax
  there are two types of international,the continental one  and the kinda worldwide one or proper worldwide
 our stars are known in africa just like now in kinshasa you get  to hear congolese music  in nightclubs in the two last hours or if one of the stars is in the nightclub and they do him a favour
then there is the wordlwide one,count the number of american stars who never ever toured in africa to promote their music but have loads of people who love them,now count the jb's ,werra's,koffi's, davido's and co who are so popular in states and europe with their authentic music that they can easily play on a soldout madison square or stade de france
i really get the "emotional" part of it and i agree with that aswell but i think we have to put the things in their context
what we consider as international,even fabregas is not too far to have nailed it already but then it would depend on ambition of each artist to be happy with that or trying to go higher
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:12 by archos »

SYMPLICITY #12 on: July 10, 2017, 14:00

• View Profile
Maitre Archos, I have noticed that you do a very good job of defending Fally. You would do good as his spokesman. Good job!!!

Mwana Nsalu #13 on: July 10, 2017, 14:35

• mama mabele ~ mother earth
    • View Profile
    • Tambour d'Afrique
archos when i have a chance i will make a post re: international and world music you make some very good points. i wanted to bring up the fact that fally has always had "crossover" appeal and already has the formula to do big here without doing an album like tokooos  but its all in how he does it. i honestly don't want to just give tips away for free (lol i'm serious) but from a grassroots level if he's truly bored with just being a known artist in africa/congo and wants to spread his sound. the one that made him famous i could help him. he has the financial support needed. the connections. he has the talent and production. it's the ideas that these artists have that are antiquated. america is in the midst of catching this 'afrobeats' wave with artists like drake and french montana having hits out now using these rhythms. our young congolese rumba artists could carve out a lil space for themselves and gain american fans without having to go off into the deep end (that "magic in the air" song was horrendous. any music that blatantly panders like that falls flat to me).

Manzambi94 #14 on: July 10, 2017, 14:37

• View Profile
Magic system DID change one hell lot their music to settle here
their current music

and now their authentic music

here their very original rhythm which is called wôyô
  in this clip they talk about when they just landed in paris

i believe one thing we have to take into account as much as i am proud of our language,is the language factor
for example  michael jackson was known in the states,in a village of senegal, in a town of birmania,in brazil and so on because of the style of music first and the fact it was english
so do today the shakira beyonce and co
juste like the french speaking artists of europe especially the french african ones are known in france and all around the francophone countries, despite those countries having a lot of their stars with the authentic music from their country
 its a combo of language plus style of music, magic system do not play hardcore zouglou anymore just like  p square do not play highlife of  folklore like their  main music
look for example to what happened to youssou ndour when he aimed to go international,he had  one hit  feat neneh cherry and was asked to stick to singing in english for a good moment which apparently he refused and went back to his mbalax
  there are two types of international,the continental one  and the kinda worldwide one or proper worldwide
 our stars are known in africa just like now in kinshasa you get  to hear congolese music  in nightclubs in the two last hours or if one of the stars is in the nightclub and they do him a favour
then there is the wordlwide one,count the number of american stars who never ever toured in africa to promote their music but have loads of people who love them,now count the jb's ,werra's,koffi's, davido's and co who are so popular in states and europe with their authentic music that they can easily play on a soldout madison square or stade de france
i really get the "emotional" part of it and i agree with that aswell but i think we have to put the things in their context
what we consider as international,even fabregas is not too far to have nailed it already but then it would depend on ambition of each artist to be happy with that or trying to go higher
The language do not count the most viewed song in the world is this

A song of a Korean man who is not even a real rapper or singer, rapping in Korean, you know why he went famous? Because he kept himself up without changing his style, and did a crazy job promoting himself furthermore this guy is independent he has no label, and he payed himself all the thing correlating the video the dancers and so on.
On the Fally's side what we are full of is not the way he want to be international, he can be that but is the fact that he is changing the way he was making awesome songs like Liputa, Droit Chemin, Power 001, Original for making average songs to go international, but honestly I would really like to see who outside of Congolese people and Francophone guys and girls know him. Once I discuss with my friends about artist and they had no Idea of who Ferré was (they are Nigerians) and when we spoke about Fally they say that they know him but not fan of his recentmusic it has to mean something.