Author Topic: CREATIVITY IN MUSIC: WHO LEADS?  (Read 6078 times)

Congomusiclover001 on: August 17, 2015, 21:29

• View Profile
For a while I've been trying to tell people around me that African music is based on creativity than most Western world music. Yes, Michael Jackson is probably the most successful musician to ever live. But he won the world over with dance more than his music.

Most western music and even before digitization of music is based on a very lazy concept. The beat is ALWAYS 1,2,1,2,1,2. There is always a verse 1 then the chorus or loop, and wash, rinse, and repeat.

African music on the other hand is too rich to be contained or presented in a lazy way. Yes we have main songs and choruses too, but what makes our music different is the fact that we believe in several types of rhythms, beats, and percussion in the same song. I remember the "Changement de frequnce" days which most western songs cannot boast of. This is one more reason why we could dance to songs like Sous Sol which is almost 15 min long as opposed to Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal which is only about 4 min (short version).

The truth is just about all variety of African music (Highlife, Juju, Makossa, Ndombolo, Sabar, Rai...etc) will always rank higher than hip hop, rock, soul, jazz, or even reggae.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 22:55 by Congomusiclover001 »

Franco Pepe Kalle #1 on: August 17, 2015, 22:50

• View Profile
But there is something you need to consider. African Music is more community based than Western Music. Western Music wants you to be the only person. Which is why Western Music does not have too much fun since it is more individual based. African Music was created to be more group base. With many African singers even now still try to incorporate collaboration than star base. That is why you have issues of love of African Music since it is not so individual base like Western Music tends to be.

Congomusiclover001 #2 on: August 17, 2015, 22:59

• View Profile
But there is something you need to consider. African Music is more community based than Western Music. Western Music wants you to be the only person. Which is why Western Music does not have too much fun since it is more individual based. African Music was created to be more group base. With many African singers even now still try to incorporate collaboration than star base. That is why you have issues of love of African Music since it is not so individual base like Western Music tends to be.

You could say that. They have group (or community based) music too, (the New Editions, the Biggies, the ACDCs, etc..). Call me biased but I still think us africans know how to jam and make music. Even solo artistes must rely on mixed music rather than monotonous beats and songs.   ;D ;D ;D

Franco Pepe Kalle #3 on: August 17, 2015, 23:03

• View Profile

You could say that. They have group (or community based) music too, (the New Editions, the Biggies, the ACDCs, etc..). Call me biased but I still think us africans know how to jam and make music. Even solo artistes must rely on mixed music rather than monotonous beats and songs.   ;D ;D ;D
True however producers want those guys from those groups to be individual based. Most of the groups have broken up. Most of them other than Ac/Dc less than 15 years. I mean LESS than 15 years in average.