Author Topic: Kokombo Stars - Central African music for MwanaMokili :)  (Read 11970 times)

bencuri on: March 10, 2017, 06:14

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A nice tune from the Central African Republic, from followers of the Congolese style, from the 80's. I don't say anything yet, probably you also know them, if not, I share some info. For this, I happen to have some  ;D

Matebu #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:52

• View Profile
Ahh, I've had this LP for decades, initially I though they were Congolese ;D Very light and relaxing music. Sadly this was their only LP

Thierry Yezo (RIP), lead guitarist, composer, vocalist, and the man behind the formation of Kokombo Stars, which was a collective of CAF artists living in France, was just like Mangwana - a pigeon voyageur. He traveled to Bangui, then Kinshasa shortly, Abidjan, and France; joining various bands, learning to sing in multiple languages, and playing many instruments.

MwanaMokili #2 on: March 10, 2017, 15:43

• View Profile

Nice Tune!

I do not have any info on thig group, but the interesting tidbits from Matebu makes the music more enjoyable.

Thanks!

bencuri #3 on: March 11, 2017, 02:48

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Actually Matebu summarized what I know about them. But interestingly, I was informed about that they released at least 2 LPs. Maybe the info is not correct. Who knows. I heard these Central African bands had much difficulty because of the low level of studios they had access to in their homeland, and also because of less promotional opportunity. That's why they are less known than other Congolese style bands from abroad. I checked some of their releases and found sometimes they cost quite much, very likely because of the rarity of these records.

Matebu #4 on: March 11, 2017, 04:02

• View Profile
Their other record was a featuring:

Bangui in the 80's had one good studio and the proprietor didn't embrace young talents like other African cities. Most of their artists flocked to the musical hub of Abidjan.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 04:21 by Matebu »

bencuri #5 on: March 12, 2017, 00:22

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sad news, because it seems they "learnt" the Congolese style very well. It would be interesting to listen to this record though, I guess it is ultra rare. Maybe will try to mine it from second hand shops when I go to Paris.

Franco Pepe Kalle #6 on: March 18, 2017, 20:53

• View Profile
Bengui kind reminds me of Theo Blaise. Amazing singer and guitarist. Bengui sounds similar to Theo Blaise.