Author Topic: Which band is better? Wenge Musica 4x4 T.T. vs Extra Musica Zangul  (Read 22547 times)

mvulusi96 #15 on: March 30, 2015, 23:41

for me Extra musica is better than Wenge musica 4x4 . their style of atalakus (chorus) is different from musician of kinshasa. Take an example when ndombolo style or shamkwale style were on fire...extra musica didnt copy such kind of music but wenge did.
Also roga roga is better than alain makaba because roga is not only a soloist but also song writer (most of songs of extra musica composed by himself), he is a dancer, singer, music arrangement ability, leader, and has an abilty of recruit new musician and thats why his bend still active although most of original member already leave the band.

@Roga Roga
You'are wrong it's Wenge Musica themselve who created the ndombolo-style. This style was so hot that even artists like Koffi Olomide and  General Defao adopted that style, to stay on the top and it did help them alot because it made artist like Defao and Koffi to get a Legend-status in Africa. It also gived the music from Zaire a extra boost to stay in Africa. Zaiko also adopted that style a little bitby recuiting Papy Cocaine to replicate Tutu Calugi.

About Alain Makaba, for me he's better than Roga Roga, because he's not monotonous as a Lead-guitarist. While sometimes solo from Roga-Roga sounds the same. Alain Makaba revolutionized the seben-style from Zaire, by mixing the Viva-style of Bongo Wende with that of Roxy Tshimpaka. Which inspired Japonais to created the ndombolo-style and Flamme Kapaya the Bueta-Bueta, what everybody is playing now.

Alain Makaba is also a dancer and better singer compare the song Tuna Tina from Anges Adorables or Kaka Pasi from Pile Ou Face with Polemique Generale or Les Goûts et Les Couleurs. Alain Makaba is also able to sing R&B, salsa songs, because he used to do that before the start of concerts of Wenge.

Alain Makaba is beside of that a big arranger, he arranged albums like Feux de l'Amour of J.B. Mpiana, Notre Pere, Bakala Dia Kuba and Fula Ngenge of Papa Wemba, Constat '99 of Aimelia Liass, Wake Up of Koffi Olomide, Mortel Combat of the Mpela brothers and many other albums. Wenge would end up as Super Choc if he didn't arrange all Wenge-albums. He used to get out all energy from the Wenge-members.

Alain  Makaba is a complete artist he can play perfectly drums, percecussions, keyboard(he played it the albums Bouger-Bouger, Kin E Bouger, Pleins Feux, Anges Adorables vol. 1 & 2), rhythm guitare and bass-guitare(He used to be a bass-guitarist before and he played it in the Titanic-album and many times after the Wenge-split).

Alain Makaba could be the leader of Wenge Musica if he was a full-time member of Wenge and if he was a guy like Luambo, by forcing his friends out from the band. A thing what Roga-Roga did to many members of Extra-Musica. But I'm happy that Alain Makaba is a cool, intelligent guy who don't like such dirty pranks.That's also why every Wenge-member respects him till today. While guys like Quetin Moyascko, Guy-Guy Fall, Arafat, Herman Ngassaki don't respect Roga-Roga. That incident during the 20th Birthday of Extra Musica, says a lot
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 23:57 by mvulusi96 »

mvulusi96 #16 on: March 30, 2015, 23:45

What's the begining of this video where he's showing his talent as singer and guitarist at the same time. A thing what Roga-Roga never does.

Zaiko #17 on: March 31, 2015, 02:38

• View Profile
Thats another point I forgot to make in favor of extra musica...I cant think of another atalaku that has a sound like Kila Mbongo.

@RogaRoga, I have to part with you when you dare say that Roga roga is a better guitarist/musician vs Alain Makaba. They Alain's skill level surpasses RR by miles. RR's solos may be catchy but they are very similar and very easy to do. Makaba's work varies and he is a much talented musician as a whole.  Ive watch concerts where Makaba plays some of the most difficult things of other musicians and his own with ease perfectly or even better. Then like mbulusi96 said, he arranges and plays other instruments too, and is a better singer. As a total musician, there is not a single Congolese person I can think that is on Makaba's level.

With all that said, Extra as a whole was the better band. ;D

Roga Roga #18 on: March 31, 2015, 05:13

• View Profile
No any musician from wenge can be better like roga roga missile

archos #19 on: March 31, 2015, 08:42

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile

@Roga Roga
You'are wrong it's Wenge Musica themselve who created the ndombolo-style. This style was so hot that even artists like Koffi Olomide and  General Defao adopted that style, to stay on the top and it did help them alot because it made artist like Defao and Koffi to get a Legend-status in Africa. It also gived the music from Zaire a extra boost to stay in Africa. Zaiko also adopted that style a little bitby recuiting Papy Cocaine to replicate Tutu Calugi.

About Alain Makaba, for me he's better than Roga Roga, because he's not monotonous as a Lead-guitarist. While sometimes solo from Roga-Roga sounds the same. Alain Makaba revolutionized the seben-style from Zaire, by mixing the Viva-style of Bongo Wende with that of Roxy Tshimpaka. Which inspired Japonais to created the ndombolo-style and Flamme Kapaya the Bueta-Bueta, what everybody is playing now.

Alain Makaba is also a dancer and better singer compare the song Tuna Tina from Anges Adorables or Kaka Pasi from Pile Ou Face with Polemique Generale or Les Goûts et Les Couleurs. Alain Makaba is also able to sing R&B, salsa songs, because he used to do that before the start of concerts of Wenge.

Alain Makaba is beside of that a big arranger, he arranged albums like Feux de l'Amour of J.B. Mpiana, Notre Pere, Bakala Dia Kuba and Fula Ngenge of Papa Wemba, Constat '99 of Aimelia Liass, Wake Up of Koffi Olomide, Mortel Combat of the Mpela brothers and many other albums. Wenge would end up as Super Choc if he didn't arrange all Wenge-albums. He used to get out all energy from the Wenge-members.

Alain  Makaba is a complete artist he can play perfectly drums, percecussions, keyboard(he played it the albums Bouger-Bouger, Kin E Bouger, Pleins Feux, Anges Adorables vol. 1 & 2), rhythm guitare and bass-guitare(He used to be a bass-guitarist before and he played it in the Titanic-album and many times after the Wenge-split).

Alain Makaba could be the leader of Wenge Musica if he was a full-time member of Wenge and if he was a guy like Luambo, by forcing his friends out from the band. A thing what Roga-Roga did to many members of Extra-Musica. But I'm happy that Alain Makaba is a cool, intelligent guy who don't like such dirty pranks.That's also why every Wenge-member respects him till today. While guys like Quetin Moyascko, Guy-Guy Fall, Arafat, Herman Ngassaki don't respect Roga-Roga. That incident during the 20th Birthday of Extra Musica, says a lot
[/quote]

exactly very good analysis makaba was more of a team man who was never interested in leadership whatsoever and like you rightfully say aswell roga inspired himself of makaba,and once again like i said it seems extra got promoted better abroad
when wenge was promoting themselves more in europe,extra did it more at african level
both teams were quite strong but wenge had an edge no wonder extra guys still have massive admiration and respect
extra inspired themselves of wenge which roga himself or many other guys admit

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #20 on: March 31, 2015, 13:02

• Administrator
    • View Profile
for me Extra musica is better than Wenge musica 4x4 . their style of atalakus (chorus) is different from musician of kinshasa. Take an example when ndombolo style or shamkwale style were on fire...extra musica didnt copy such kind of music but wenge did.
Also roga roga is better than alain makaba because roga is not only a soloist but also song writer (most of songs of extra musica composed by himself), he is a dancer, singer, music arrangement ability, leader, and has an abilty of recruit new musician and thats why his bend still active although most of original member already leave the band.
Kiekiekiekie, ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)  Firstly welcome to the forum.

Now on your opinion about Roga Roga and Alain Makaba, yes you're right that the atalukus in Brazza do it differently from their counterparts in Kinshasa that is mainly because Brazza and Kin are in different countries, each country has it's own unique culture(ways of doing things).
You say the Wenge's etc copied dances and animation but it is a well known fact that back in the days, all the animation in music was literally the same,just different application by different bands. The term Ndombolo arguably originated or was made popular by clan Wenge.

Finally, your comment about Roga Roga's skills in comparison to Alain Makaba is simply laughable!! Roga Roga and Alain Makaba are both excellent soloists. Alain Makaba is known to have come on the scene and made his name long way before Roga Roga came to be known. Roga Roga came late on the scene, he adopted Alain Makaba's unique style and not only that, Roga Roga also chose a cream coloured steinberger guitar which was Makaba's trademark.

You say Roga Roga not only plays guitar but sings and dances too but do you know how many instruments Alain Makaba plays and played in Wenge Musica and do you know how many songs he composed and arranged as Artistic Director of Wenge Musica. Do you know that Makaba also sang in Wenge and when he went solo?

Yes, Makaba went quiet after leaving Wenge Musica, not because his skills faded, No, he settled abroad and worked ,music was secondary but he later went back to it as a producer in his own recording studio.

In summary, Alain Makaba was the brain of Wenge Musica and the rest of the band members were the other parts of the body, all played their role but each one of them including outsiders know just how much Alain Makaba changed Wenge Musica and just what he can do with music,even Roga Roga himself would laugh if he read your comments. ;D ;D

LE BIG BOSS

KAISARI #21 on: March 31, 2015, 14:03

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile
My two cents, put the two bands toe to toe on stage and Roga roga will top the show...
You do not beat a drum with one finger

Felo #22 on: April 10, 2015, 22:03

• View Profile
My two cents, put the two bands toe to toe on stage and Roga roga will top the show...

You really know how to offer two cents' worth... :)

Felo #23 on: April 10, 2015, 22:06

• View Profile

I need some info here. Who played bass guitar in Titanic? And on which songs did Alain Makaba play solo guitar?

mvulusi96 #24 on: April 10, 2015, 22:19

Patient Kusangila and Alain Makaba played bass in the Titanic-album. Alain Makaba played the Lead-guitar in Barakuda, Omba, Likala Moto and Champion Kapangala
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 22:21 by mvulusi96 »

Felo #25 on: April 10, 2015, 22:49

• View Profile
Extra Musica wins it for me.

I want to look at it as an outsider, someone without background knowledge or allegiance to any of the bands. If you like, someone listening to their songs for the first time without being influenced by the history of the bands because Wenge has a richer history and starts from a point of advantage. I'm going to analyze the bands in sections.

Starting with the songs, it mainly depends on how many times one has listened to the songs or under which circumstances. Both had fantastic and memorable songs. I personally have listened to more of Wenge's songs and I came to love Congolese music through Wenge's music, but I have a special place in my heart for Extra Musica's music, especially with the melancholic introduction of Papy Bastin. I love the album Trop chest Trop. In terms of the songs and albums, its a draw for me.

When it comes to the individual artists and how they played in the songs, it is debatable. Whereas Titina is the more talented drummer, Rama sounded better in Extra's songs and wins here. While Makaba is much more gifted as a soloist, Roga Roga managed to produce excellent solos as well and loses to Makaba only marginally. When it comes to rhythm guitar, Durell wins over Ficare or whoever was playing for Wenge. For me in Congolese music, only Caen Madoka plays more memorable rhythms than Durell did. And Espe's bass always sounded really nice, easily matching Masela or Kusangila, perhaps helped by the fact that Rama was so good on drums. (Many foreign drummers I know struggle to roll drums like Rama does and respect him for that.) So for instrumentalists its Extra 2(rhythm and drums), Wenge 1 (solo) and one draw (bass).

To the vocals and again Extra wins it here for me. Since they came later, they will always be seen as though they were copying Wenge, but even if they did, Extra had better singers. Going down the scale, Herman sounds better than Werra (who I heard being referred to as faux chante in this forum); Doudou Copa is miles better than Adolphe; Oxygen sings better than Blaise Bula. For Wenge JB Mpiana beats Guy Guy Fall or QM; and Amelia's tenor is perhaps better than Papy Jah. Alain Mpela is the better singer but Papy Bastin has more emotion so its a draw here for me. So Extra 3, Wenge 2 with 1 draw.

I don't necessarily mean that whoever wins is a better musician or performer. I'm only judging by how they sounded or played in their songs as my main interaction with these two bands is through listening to their songs. So, as controversial as this may sound: Extra Musica was the better band.

Felo #26 on: April 10, 2015, 22:51

• View Profile
Patient Kusangila and Alain Makaba played bass in the Titanic-album. Alain Makaba played the Lead-guitar in Barakuda, Omba, Likala Moto and Champion Kapangala
Who played lead in the generique Titanic? Mind mentioning which songs Makaba played bass in? I always thought it was Kusangila throughout.

archos #27 on: April 10, 2015, 23:12

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
generique was played by burkina faso and basically makaba played bass on most of the songs where he did not play lead while kusangila played a lot of rhythm and bass on the songs played by alain on lead

mvulusi96 #28 on: April 10, 2015, 23:13

Extra Musica wins it for me.

I want to look at it as an outsider, someone without background knowledge or allegiance to any of the bands. If you like, someone listening to their songs for the first time without being influenced by the history of the bands because Wenge has a richer history and starts from a point of advantage. I'm going to analyze the bands in sections.

Starting with the songs, it mainly depends on how many times one has listened to the songs or under which circumstances. Both had fantastic and memorable songs. I personally have listened to more of Wenge's songs and I came to love Congolese music through Wenge's music, but I have a special place in my heart for Extra Musica's music, especially with the melancholic introduction of Papy Bastin. I love the album Trop chest Trop. In terms of the songs and albums, its a draw for me.

When it comes to the individual artists and how they played in the songs, it is debatable. Whereas Titina is the more talented drummer, Rama sounded better in Extra's songs and wins here. While Makaba is much more gifted as a soloist, Roga Roga managed to produce excellent solos as well and loses to Makaba only marginally. When it comes to rhythm guitar, Durell wins over Ficare or whoever was playing for Wenge. For me in Congolese music, only Caen Madoka plays more memorable rhythms than Durell did. And Espe's bass always sounded really nice, easily matching Masela or Kusangila, perhaps helped by the fact that Rama was so good on drums. (Many foreign drummers I know struggle to roll drums like Rama does and respect him for that.) So for instrumentalists its Extra 2(rhythm and drums), Wenge 1 (solo) and one draw (bass).

To the vocals and again Extra wins it here for me. Since they came later, they will always be seen as though they were copying Wenge, but even if they did, Extra had better singers. Going down the scale, Herman sounds better than Werra (who I heard being referred to as faux chante in this forum); Doudou Copa is miles better than Adolphe; Oxygen sings better than Blaise Bula. For Wenge JB Mpiana beats Guy Guy Fall or QM; and Amelia's tenor is perhaps better than Papy Jah. Alain Mpela is the better singer but Papy Bastin has more emotion so its a draw here for me. So Extra 3, Wenge 2 with 1 draw.

I don't necessarily mean that whoever wins is a better musician or performer. I'm only judging by how they sounded or played in their songs as my main interaction with these two bands is through listening to their songs. So, as controversial as this may sound: Extra Musica was the better band.

:o Caien Madoka is the only person who played more memorable rhythms than Durrel Loemba. That's an insult to Do Akongo, Zamwanagana, Lutumba Simaro and many others in the Congolese Music.... ahahaha Ramatoulaye souned better than Titina in albums, I advice you yo listen Kalayi Boeing (version orginale), Voyage, Filandu and Daddet very well.

You can't compare Durrel Loemba to one rhythm-guitarist because beside of Patient Kusangila(played rhythm in Kalayi Boeing, Pleins Feux, Anges Adorables and Pentagone) who is originally a bass-guitar player there were many original rhythm-players in Wenge who didn't play more than 2 albums in Wenge. Guys like Djolina who played in the unreleased EP of Wenge from 1986, Bouger-Bouger and created rhythms from the Kin E Bouger-EP and Pleins Feux, Collegien Zola(who played in the Kin E Bouger-album, but wasn't credited), Fiston Zamwangana(who played on Feux de l'Amour and Titanic and who had the potential to become the greatest rhythm-player of his generation like his dad in Zaiko).

mvulusi96 #29 on: April 10, 2015, 23:14

generique was played by burkina faso and basically makaba played bass on most of the songs where he did not play lead while kusangila played a lot of rhythm and bass on the songs played by alain on lead
ahaha was about to post it.  :'( I still regret that Zamwangana didn't stay long in BCBG.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 23:20 by mvulusi96 »