Author Topic: WAS LISTENING TO KARMAPA'S "JE M'APPELLE TOI" FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME  (Read 2684 times)

Matebu on: March 26, 2020, 19:23

• View Profile
Man, really beautifully crafted album. Right up there with Droit Chemin for best debut album of the 21st century (not forgetting Kibuisa)

Classic odemba influence with mordern lyrics and sound. Crisp and clean sound from Studio Marcadet. Sebene songs and generique are good as well. Can't ask for more from an album

Standout songs - Impasse Dani (odemba à l'état pur), La Duchesse, I Love You TF1, Kama Kumasika, Didi Kunani

Lofombo on bass with Beniko Popolipo on solo -what a combo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 19:26 by Matebu »

archos #1 on: March 26, 2020, 19:33

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
the impact of "ba requins" on albums is rarely questionable,no wonder for example somebody like reddy has started to take years to record albums since he wanted to take "independence" and work with his group
some top work indeed

Mfumu Vata #2 on: March 26, 2020, 21:16

• View Profile
Excellent album. Impasse Dany, Didi Kinuani and Washington are my favorite songs. Big up to Tripasson "le correcteur", Lofombo, Mimiche (rip), Philipe Guez, Ada Muangisa and Popolipo.

His musicians of Kinshasa did also a good job being coached by former Viva La Musica rhythm guitarist Stella Uomo, who like Karmapa came from the Matete-area. One of Karmapa's singers made my laugh the way he tried to copy Lola Muana.

I remember bringing the cd to my cousin's house and his wife the watching with an angry/weird face to the cd hahahahaha. I also remember visting him one day, bringing Riposte to his house and when he was the credits and tracklis, then his wife came to sit next to him and whe finished watching it he put the cd on the table and his wife looking weird to the album-cover saying with a jealous tone to my cousin "so you like stuff like that ?" hahahaha.

Congolitude #3 on: March 26, 2020, 22:28

• View Profile

Matebu #4 on: March 27, 2020, 00:01

• View Profile
Good to know, I have to give this album a listen

Please do; we need more people to appreciate his works. One could say this is the album that made Koffi rethink what would become Monde Arabe after being christened “Prince de La Rhumba” by Seigneur Ley (RIP)

$afari #5 on: March 27, 2020, 00:13

• Safarious
    • View Profile
Good to know, I have to give this album a listen

Please do; we need more people to appreciate his works. One could say this is the album that made Koffi rethink what would become Monde Arabe after being christened “Prince de La Rhumba” by Seigneur Ley (RIP)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge...I didn't know much about Le Karmpa until Caligula and this album is a gem...made my evening
Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge and widening my horizon
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct." - Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesman & Philosopher