Author Topic: General Defao and the big stars  (Read 20536 times)

Tunutu on: April 16, 2014, 16:57

• View Profile
Can some one shade some light of what happened to Defao, he was once in the same league with Koffi and Wenge? What brought him down to his knees, there are rumours that he was forced out of Congo by Kabila

archos #1 on: April 16, 2014, 17:11

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
It's himself who decided remaining in east africa as he lives quite well there but he still has concerts in some areas of congo he just does not plays in kinshasa yet because he wants his return to be a big event

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #2 on: April 16, 2014, 17:41

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If I remember very well, General Defao fell out with Kabila's govt over some remarks he had made, am not really sure but it could be because of the song ''Mboka Ya Diogen'' on which he used metaphor to attack the govt.

Shortly after this album, he was in Zambia for some concerts promoted by Kayembe Kalondji the Chairman of Chez Ntemba International. Defao stayed on after the concerts travelling between different towns with his musicians till the Congolese govt asked that he's sent back to Congo so he was eventually deported but he opted to go to Kenya and that's where he's been since.

I will ask his former bass guitarist in London who also plays every Friday and sunday with Renato Mondele another former guitarist of Defao's Big Stars,they've told me they toured with Defao in Zambia so they may know the story well.
LE BIG BOSS

archos #3 on: April 16, 2014, 17:47

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
kabila senior yes, but not the younger one
 there is just a simple thing which proves defao is not blacklisted in congo,journalists dedicate him very very often,they would have  been asked to stop or simply jailed if they were doing something wrong

Tunutu #4 on: April 16, 2014, 17:51

• View Profile
I will apprecuate Archos, his albums Famine Kikuta and Salanoki were well received in Tanzania, Theo Mbala Mata was among the best Atalakus of 1990s

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #5 on: April 16, 2014, 18:02

• Administrator
    • View Profile
kabila senior yes, but not the younger one
 there is just a simple thing which proves defao is not blacklisted in congo,journalists dedicate him very very often,they would have  been asked to stop or simply jailed if they were doing something wrong
Yes, it was Kabila senior as Defao stayed in Zambia around 2001. After leaving Zambia, he first went to Tanzania where it is alleged he had a medical problem and was in hospital when 20 of his musicians were arrested by Tanzanian immigration authorities in January 2002 in a bordering town with Kenya. According to reports, the intention of the band was to go to Kenya via the Tanzania .

In 2009 the Zimbabwean govt also wanted to deport him too, they claimed he arrived in Zimbabwe without a work permit, I suspect kabila junior also wants him that's why he keeps delaying his return, maybe it's more than the song ''Mboka ya Diogen.''
LE BIG BOSS

Tunutu #6 on: April 16, 2014, 18:08

• View Profile
There was also rumours that he was broke to the extent that he couldnt afford to pay rent in Nairobi, Ngombeshenzi can you enlight us on this? Does he perform regularly in Nairobi?

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #7 on: April 16, 2014, 18:12

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There was also rumours that he was broke to the extent that he couldnt afford to pay rent in Nairobi, Ngombeshenzi can you enlight us on this? Does he perform regularly in Nairobi?
Yes, his producer abandoned him mid tour,some shows could not even take place in Tanzania and with him avoiding to go to Congo it was tough. Even in Zambia he started playing in the slums/ shanty townships so there was a threat from congo that's why he couldn't go back there and has never been back,last year he said he was going to congo, I think he said the same this year too in an interview but we'll see.
LE BIG BOSS

Jdog #8 on: April 16, 2014, 18:42

• View Profile
Defao needs to stop using bleach cream soki nzambe alingi aza mwindu efo aza mwindu a tika tshoko alingi a koma Micheal Jackson to pembe ya Robinho...peau na ye eza naturel te atika ko kosa batu....KOSA LEKA!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 18:44 by Jdog »
Or moto asala le monde eza yo Nzambe tata, Kita okata po mokili trop matata, kata- Fally Ipupa

ngombeshenzi55 #9 on: April 16, 2014, 18:44

• View Profile
Yes, his producer abandoned him mid tour,some shows could not even take place in Tanzania and with him avoiding to go to Congo it was tough. Even in Zambia he started playing in the slums/ shanty townships so there was a threat from congo that's why he couldn't go back there and has never been back,last year he said he was going to congo, I think he said the same this year too in an interview but we'll see.

General Defao was fixed by his producer when he came to Kenya, He was booked in a very expensive hotel with his Big Stars bar. Him and the Big stars had a good uppetite and so they merried like there was no tomorrow not knowing what was waiting  for him ahead. They stayed in the hotel for several weeks 2-3 , later after some  electrifying shows, his producer vanished and it is when the hotel managment accused him of failing to pay bills that had accummilated to millions of shillings.

He was arrested and taken to remande, It is when one of his biggest fan, a very rich Lady, bailed him out and payed his outstanding bills, moved in with him afterwards and got married secretly. Defao has been performing in Local clubs in Nairobi like Egesa,Deep west, tends, dream village and private concerts for rich politicians and businessmen in Kenya.

He has a huge fan base in Tanzania and people call him there moto ya pamba( Mr. Bling! Bling)

Tunutu #10 on: April 16, 2014, 18:49

• View Profile
Asante sana Ngombeshenzi, does he maintain a band in Nairobi or just hiring seasonal musicians?

ngombeshenzi55 #11 on: April 16, 2014, 18:58

• View Profile
Asante sana Ngombeshenzi, does he maintain a band in Nairobi or just hiring seasonal musicians?

He has no band@ Tunuku he hires the Congolais bands that are so many in Nairobi and Mombasa.But i understand he has rejuvenated the Big stars and he is re grouping !

mvulusi96 #12 on: April 16, 2014, 19:56

The song Mboka Ya Diogen has nothing to do with the problem between him and L.D. Kabila. Mboka Ya Diogen is just a love song which is remixed from a song called Aristote which was released in the Choc-Stars Era. Its contains 50% of orginal-Lingala lyrics.

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #13 on: April 16, 2014, 21:43

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mvulusi, kindly translate the song Mboka Ya Diogen, it's purely in Lingala but not your average song, based on my understanding of Lingala, the story it has is not direct.
LE BIG BOSS

Ken Bilele #14 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54

• View Profile
I have always wondered if Gen. Defao ever invested his money well during his pick time. The kind of humiliation that Defao went through was sad to a man who was loved to the maximum. At one point Defao was said to have been taken by another woman and lived in the lower middle class estate of Umoja in Nairobi just after the rich woman had also dumped him for not being a man enough. At that point it was said that the man did not have powers of a man. A year ago I spoke to one of the musicians whom he hired several times and asked him the fate of Defao and he told me he came back on his feet and now lives well in up market Hurlingham estate in Nairobi being assisted by his bothers and some people he took to Europe during his high time. He has since taken a very low profile life, I mean its not easy to meet him in Nairobi.