Author Topic: Surprising fact about Pouvoir  (Read 5551 times)

SLK97 on: May 24, 2019, 18:12

• View Profile

When I was reading the booklet on Discogs last year, I was surprised to find that almost half of the album had been recorded in Kinshasa. I mean, I knew that Madilu had done some songs with his Multi-Systeme band, but I didn't expect that. I guess I was fooled by the top-notch mixing and sound quality.

Also, why did he only record two albums with his own band (this one and Tenant du Titre)? Do you think an already excellent album like Bonheur could've benefitted from a few contributions from Multi-Systeme?

Matebu #1 on: May 24, 2019, 18:16

• View Profile

When I was reading the booklet on Discogs last year, I was surprised to find that almost half of the album had been recorded in Kinshasa. I mean, I knew that Madilu had done some songs with his Multi-Systeme band, but I didn't expect that. I guess I was fooled by the top-notch mixing and sound quality.

Also, why did he only record two albums with his own band (this one and Tenant du Titre)? Do you think an already excellent album like Bonheur could've benefitted from a few contributions from Multi-Systeme?

Yeah, the album was done in a mobile studio with just about all mixing done in Paris. Somo Trop Disc 1 was recorded in the same manner- that album also had stellar sound

He never had much confidence in his band, which is why he had the usual session backers on his albums. Tenant de Titre is a wonderful album however

archos #2 on: May 24, 2019, 18:29

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
i am sure when he saw the likes of rio,fofo le collegien,pathy moleso for example leave because they were not getting opportunity to record with him in kinshasa he might have thought he should give  those who remained a little chance(especially as with jps he'd had to tour in africa so he needs a solid  and confident band)

mvulusi96 #3 on: May 24, 2019, 18:53

Madilu had alot of confidence in his band. But he was doing alot of nasty things to them (worser than Koffi, Werra, etc.) and he knew that if he would bring them one day to Europe that they would all ran away. So he was giving false hope every year by promising them to go to Europe.  In the song Nakombo he even jocked that Molengo hadn't to them visa's, because they would ran away. from 6:45 min

The album Le Tenant du Titre was like a reward for their patience, having then also received alot of pressure from fans and journalists. I remember Paulin Mukendi attacking Madilu for still not having brought his band to Europe citing Fofo Le Collegien, Rio, Adricha Tipo Tipo, Pathy Moleso, Signora Depatra Uomo, Volvo Lukebuka and Nana Mulenga who saw the light in other bands.

ex'Big Stars dancer Brigitte said in an interview that Madilu once abandon the whole band in Zambia without money and that he went on his own to Europe with the rest of the band not knowing how to return back to Kinshasa.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 18:58 by mvulusi96 »

mvulusi96 #4 on: May 24, 2019, 18:56

i am sure when he saw the likes of rio,fofo le collegien,pathy moleso for example leave because they were not getting opportunity to record with him in kinshasa he might have thought he should give  those who remained a little chance(especially as with jps he'd had to tour in africa so he needs a solid  and confident band)

Yeah, I saw Adricha Tipo Tipo's interview 2 years ago. Saying that he convinced Pathy Moleso to leave Madilu's band, because of not getting the opportunity to record an album with him, seeing that they were just wasting their time in his band and Madilu giving them false hope, saying everything that they will go on tour in Europe.

SLK97 #5 on: May 24, 2019, 19:09

• View Profile
That begs the question. If Madilu was sure that at least a few bandmembers would stay at Europe in the case he took them there, couldn't he have done something to prevent this happening?

mvulusi96 #6 on: May 24, 2019, 19:15

That begs the question. If Madilu was sure that at least a few bandmembers would stay at Europe in the case he took them there, couldn't he have done something to prevent this happening?

Paying them well, (it would not have been easy because he was one of the most stingy bandleaders lol), letting donors of his band paying cars for his musicians (like Wenge Maison Mere, Quartier Latin and Wenge BCBG) and/or sending Zoulous or New Jacks to kidnap them. Back in 2005, Werrason and his staff said were sending messages to people in Paris, saying that they would give 5.000 dollars to the person who would find Teka Diobanza hahahaha.

mvulusi96 #7 on: May 24, 2019, 19:20

Musicians are difficult to deal with. Emeneya paid cars for his musicians and did everything to please them, but he only with 7 people in 2003. Adolphe Dominguez lost his head back in 2002 when alot of musicians decided to stay. He even let the rest of Wenge Tonya Tonya return by themselves and stayed in Europe to give the New Jack of Brussels alot of money to get for him Chibida Dumbu, Canard and Papillion back, but it didn't work.

SLK97 #8 on: May 24, 2019, 19:29

• View Profile
You have a point. In every major band touring Europe, there will always be at least one member that stays behind when it's time to leave. There's a reason people back at Kin say that Europe is paradise.

masatomo #9 on: May 24, 2019, 20:09

• View Profile
You have a point. In every major band touring Europe, there will always be at least one member that stays behind when it's time to leave. There's a reason people back at Kin say that Europe is paradise.

Exactly I never sa a whole band returning to Kinshasa after a tour. Only Quartier Latin after a few concerts in France, Switzerland and finish Pas de Faux Pas (I don't really know if the album was already released or recorded in Brazzaville) in late 92 early 93. Because Koffi threatened them if only one want to run away he would never bring them to Europe kiekiekiekie. 

mvulusi96 #10 on: May 24, 2019, 20:18

Exactly I never sa a whole band returning to Kinshasa after a tour. Only Quartier Latin after a few concerts in France, Switzerland and finish Pas de Faux Pas (I don't really know if the album was already released or recorded in Brazzaville) in late 92 early 93. Because Koffi threatened them if only one want to run away he would never bring them to Europe kiekiekiekie.

In 1995 and 1993 they also returned with the whole band. Also Wenge Musica in 1994.

Pas de Faux Pas was recorded in Brazzaville at Studio IAD, then during the tour in Europe they corrected some vocals and added mabanga with Philipe Guez adding some keyboards.

Ammo_Jaymz #11 on: May 25, 2019, 08:38

• View Profile
Musicians are difficult to deal with. Emeneya paid cars for his musicians and did everything to please them, but he only with 7 people in 2003. Adolphe Dominguez lost his head back in 2002 when alot of musicians decided to stay. He even let the rest of Wenge Tonya Tonya return by themselves and stayed in Europe to give the New Jack of Brussels alot of money to get for him Chibida Dumbu, Canard and Papillion back, but it didn't work.

I am reading these stories about the Late Madilu and how he used to treat his band members and must say his style of leadership is rather disappointing, like.  I know its mostly considered bad according to African culture to say something negative about a deceased person.
But in all honesty, I've never rated Madilu as an artiste very highly. I used to wonder why he got so much credit yet to me He was just another average guy, I know he has a big following and agree he was talented but I never saw nothing extra exceptional about him.
 Although dealing with humans can be tricky as @mvulusi96 has given an example of Emeneya, doing things for his band and they still deserted him, but if its true he did things like leaving his band stranded in a foreign country its was just rather shameful as a  leader and an injustice to those band members, its like taking away their dignity. Taking people to Zambia or wherever from DRC then abandoning them in a foreign country its just shameful.

Drumstar98 #12 on: May 25, 2019, 22:05

• View Profile

I am reading these stories about the Late Madilu and how he used to treat his band members and must say his style of leadership is rather disappointing, like.  I know its mostly considered bad according to African culture to say something negative about a deceased person.
But in all honesty, I've never rated Madilu as an artiste very highly. I used to wonder why he got so much credit yet to me He was just another average guy, I know he has a big following and agree he was talented but I never saw nothing extra exceptional about him.
 Although dealing with humans can be tricky as @mvulusi96 has given an example of Emeneya, doing things for his band and they still deserted him, but if its true he did things like leaving his band stranded in a foreign country its was just rather shameful as a  leader and an injustice to those band members, its like taking away their dignity. Taking people to Zambia or wherever from DRC then abandoning them in a foreign country its just shameful.

My mum likes his music but rarely listens to it because she does not like his behaviour

Wenge1995 #13 on: May 26, 2019, 08:50

• View Profile
Our music industry needs a labor union, to pressure record labels and band leaders to arrange better business model for paying royalties/salaries.

Because at the end of the day, all these ngulu troubles are a result of money these artist aren't recieving.