Author Topic: Franco Error: Bringing back Kwamy into OKJ after Faux Millionaire  (Read 888 times)

Franco Pepe Kalle on: October 16, 2021, 03:53

• View Profile
I am a big fan of Franco and my name comes from my enjoyment of Franco's music but I want to say like every great artist, there are errors. Franco made quite a few ones. One of them was bringing back Kwamy into OK Jazz after Kwamy attacked Franco over money issues on the song Faux Millionaire.

I mean after all, Kwamy decided to sing with Tabu Ley.

Franco responded to Kwamy with two songs. Chicotte and Course au pouvoir.

These songs are brutal towards Kwamy Munsi.

For some reason, Franco decided to bring back Kwamy into OK Jazz after 1968 or 1969. While it was not all bad, Vicky Longomba was very upset and it would lead to Vicky leaving OKJ in 1971 (WorldService report). It was said that Simaro was behind in bringing back Kwamy Munsi because he never liked Vicky Longomba and wanted to be closer to Franco. Remember at the time, Franco and Vicky were the leaders of OKJ with Franco being president and Vicky being vice president.

Franco did manage to make a memorable duet with Kwamy doing a propaganda song for Mobutu Sese Seko

But it was clear that Franco did regret in my view how he brought back Kwamy into OKJ since he lost his close friend Vicky Longomba in spite that Franco did a Africa Jazz takeover into OKJ with Josky, Ntesa, Ndombe, Diatho Lukoki, Djo Mpoyi and Wuta Mayi. The reason I personally believe this is because he decided to replay Course au Pouvoir at Ivory Coast concert in 1980.

At this time, Vicky Longomba left music and became a full time business in the Zairian Music Association. When Vicky Longomba had Lovy du Zaire from 1971 to 1974, he did get us a Franco copycat in Syran Mbenza.
BTW Syran did a tribute to Franco which was done in Soukous and it was Franco if he was a soukous guy full time.

While it is true that Franco went on to be the legend we know today, I think Franco would have been better served if he kept Vicky Longomba for a little longer. Like I said, if Vicky had stayed, I am sure he would have left in 1975 and then Franco have a complete takeover. That is my opinion only.