Author Topic: Even Papy Bastin entered that Afro-beat stuff  (Read 3902 times)

mvulusi96 on: June 08, 2019, 01:28

Matebu #1 on: June 08, 2019, 02:12

• View Profile
Honestly, this is ok. I expected a major disappointment

Wenge1995 #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:52

• View Profile
It got better towards the end, but it's nice to see Papy Bastin still active musically!

bencuri #3 on: June 11, 2019, 18:28

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In artistic quality it is very far from this one:

Maybe his new stuff is enough for Papy Bastin to stay known, but not enough for me to keep on listening to him. I could tell the same about the new albums of Roga. This is my personal opinion.

Wenge1995 #4 on: June 11, 2019, 18:33

• View Profile
@bencuri

Those songs that got him recognition are no longer what's popular anymore, so he has to go with what's popular now. Hopefully he's still got skills as a songwriter, because he wrote some great stuff for Extra Musica:

mvulusi96 #5 on: June 11, 2019, 19:20

Extra Musica made his name known around the world, but he wasn't getting alot of space and he never got a song credited to his name. It was in Universal Zangul that he finally could show his talents and getting finally his songs credited on his name (Ibrahima Sylla, La Vie Onongo and Tout a Coup). People started then to give him alot of respect. After that he released two solo album (Bravo & Notez Bien) were he really showed his talent as songwriter.

Wenge1995 #6 on: June 11, 2019, 20:33

• View Profile
@mvulusi96

Is there anyone of Extra Musica that has a healthy music career aside from Roga Roga?

mvulusi96 #7 on: June 11, 2019, 23:06

@mvulusi96

Is there anyone of Extra Musica that has a healthy music career aside from Roga Roga?

Yes, Doudou Copa. He's lucky because he's from the north like Roga Roga and also the same tribe. So it made him being supported by those officials of the Sassou-regime. Tribalism is very strong in Congo-Brazzaville and the rivalerly between South and the North is very big. There are alot people from the South, who want to create their own country (Congo-Sud), because they are fed up with the injustice they get since the 70s.

mvulusi96 #8 on: June 11, 2019, 23:23

You have also Kevin Mbouande with Patrouilles des Stars who's doing very in Brazzaville. The problem with the music in Brazzaville is that they their donors don't want to support them and prefer to put their money in other things who are genering alot money (they aren't like those of DRC who throw their money like that without getting anything back) and those who like music prefer to support those of DRC (Koffi, Fally, Ferre, etc.) which creates alot of jealousy of musicians from Brazzaville towards those of Kinshasa. Alot of musicians who are struggeling in Brazzaville decide to settle in Pointe Noire for matolo and patronage. (In Pointe Noire you got alot of rich people, because of people working in the oil-business where the most money from the Congo republic comes and them having a big harbor). But now you got to much musicians of Brazzaville in Pointe Noire, that its called the graveyard of musicians (like we call Europe the graveyard of our musicians).

bencuri #9 on: June 11, 2019, 23:39

• Administrator
    • View Profile
@bencuri

Those songs that got him recognition are no longer what's popular anymore, so he has to go with what's popular now. Hopefully he's still got skills as a songwriter, because he wrote some great stuff for Extra Musica:

I think it is not a matter of what the recent style is that they are doing. With Trop C'est Trop the band reached a level that was even more superior that their masters: the Wenge Clan ever did. It has exciting sebens all along, except for a few moments you cannot really get bored, and the engineering is also great. It is a high level, carefully constructed, well engineered album with professional guitar effects and vocals. With a few close exceptions, the only one like that from the two Congos. The said thing is, ever since, neither Roga Roga nor other members of the band could jump this level again. No matter if it's electronic or live played what they are doing. And I really regret that, because they clearly had the talent. Actually, now when I listen to any CD of the Extra Clan, I hardly believe they cound once create Trop C'est Trop. So much boring stuff, and so few good ideas.