Author Topic: Kester Emeneya and Papa Wemba were a match made in heaven (MUSICALLY SPEAKING)  (Read 2525 times)

Franco Pepe Kalle on: January 06, 2019, 03:02

• View Profile
When I heard the voices of Wemba and Emeneya in this video, I was weeping because I realized how perfect their voices were for one another.

Kester Emeneya as a second voice kind and Papa Wemba as a first voice kind together made a delicious harmony in Congolese music. There two men that were meant for each other. That was Kester Emeneya and Papa Wemba. Unfortunately they had too big of egos. Had they kept their egos under control, then they could have made a duo album and it would have been bigger than Papa Wemba's Wake Up Album with Koffi Olomide. I can assure you of that.

It could have a harmony like this song here

This video also shows my point.

Look from 47:10 to 56:46

Just look great it was with them together for their harmony moments.

It is so sad that Kester Emeneya and Papa Wemba did not sing together more often as they were a perfect duo in my humble opinion.

mvulusi96 #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:11

In 2000/01 they were contacted by JPS Production to record a duo-album called 'Disque d'Or' but they both refused due to them being not agreeing with the money Jean Pierre Saah wanted to offer. Then 2002 a staffmember tried to bring that idea back, but Emeneya wasn't interrested due to some grudge he had towards Wemba.

Longbluesquid #2 on: January 06, 2019, 08:58

• View Profile
I’m going to be sad forever. Could have been a masterpiece like Wake Up was.

Franco Pepe Kalle #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:51

• View Profile
No surprise there. Kester and Wemba were never the same after their split in 1982. It is so sad because they were a great duo musically. I heard that they tried to do this even back in the mid 1990s before Papa Wemba ended up doing wakeup album with Koffi Olomide.

mvulusi96 #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:22

No surprise there. Kester and Wemba were never the same after their split in 1982. It is so sad because they were a great duo musically. I heard that they tried to do this even back in the mid 1990s before Papa Wemba ended up doing wakeup album with Koffi Olomide.

That's not true. Kester and Wemba were still visiting each other until the mid-90's and made alot of concerts together. It's just private-life which killed their relation and also the staff who ruined everything when those heavy rivalerly started between Koffi-Wemba-JB-Werra.

People were asking for a duo-album in the early 90's when Emeneya settled in Paris, but there wasn't a label would could pay that project. So then when Wenge's Pentagone was number 1 in 1996, Koffi didn't like it and was looking for a way to break that succes. So he asked Emeneya if they could record a duo-album under Sonodisc. Emeneya accepted it, but on the end refused, because in he's opinion they had to do it with Papa Wemba who made them known to everybody. Which didn't please Koffi, because they were beefing with Papa Wemba at that time. Having then made some interviews with Bolowa Bonzakwa dissing Papa Wemba, sung the song Andrada and started ignoring Wemba on interviews. But then he changed his mind and decided to reconcilated with Wemba. Starting then to gossip about Emeneya towards Wemba. This made Wemba furious and said to Koffi that they will not give Emeneya a shoot-out on that album.