Author Topic: Burna Boy being the first African artist to sell a stadium out in U.K.  (Read 515 times)

Mfumu Vata on: June 04, 2023, 11:43

• View Profile

$afari #1 on: June 04, 2023, 22:05

• Safarious
    • View Profile
Well…. This isn’t entirely surprising:
1) Nigerian diaspora is the largest from Africa and actively promotes its heritage.
2) English: the world’s lingua franca, even a few catchy English lines are enough to entice listeners. Nobody cares about French!
3) afrobeat (in all its guises) is on the rise, or at least is catchy & appealing! What’s the point of 5-10 mins of mumbling rumba when you can have 3-4 mins of catchy & danceable Afrobeat??

In the end; Davido, Burna Boy etc can have exactly this concert in Houston, Toronto or Sydney but Congolese are destined to community halls of Brussels or some random places in Paris! Congolese music (to my chagrin) is longer held in high esteem!
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct." - Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesman & Philosopher

SLK97 #2 on: June 04, 2023, 22:16

• View Profile
Well…. This isn’t entirely surprising:
1) Nigerian diaspora is the largest from Africa and actively promotes its heritage.
2) English: the world’s lingua franca, even a few catchy English lines are enough to entice listeners. Nobody cares about French!
3) afrobeat (in all its guises) is on the rise, or at least is catchy & appealing! What’s the point of 5-10 mins of mumbling rumba when you can have 3-4 mins of catchy & danceable Afrobeat??

In the end; Davido, Burna Boy etc can have exactly this concert in Houston, Toronto or Sydney but Congolese are destined to community halls of Brussels or some random places in Paris! Congolese music (to my chagrin) is longer held in high esteem!

You forgot another thing: Nigerians aren't too busy dragging each other down, acting like only one of their artists can be at the top.

Mfumu Vata #3 on: June 05, 2023, 15:03

• View Profile
lol, I didn't knew that U-Arena, Zenith, Bercy, l'Olympia and Parc des Princes were random places. I also didn't knew about Cirque Royal and BOZAR being big community halls, its sad that western pop-artists sink low to perform every year at a community halls called Forest National.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 15:08 by Mfumu Vata »

$afari #4 on: June 05, 2023, 18:52

• Safarious
    • View Profile
lol, I didn't knew that U-Arena, Zenith, Bercy, l'Olympia and Parc des Princes were random places. I also didn't knew about Cirque Royal and BOZAR being big community halls, its sad that western pop-artists sink low to perform every year at a community halls called Forest National.

By virtue of points mentioned above (diaspora size, cultural influence, singing in (pidgin) English etc...) Nigerians can fill up those Paris venues with ease but the said arenas are the apex for Congolese artists!!

Put it this way, whilst shopping a few weeks ago at https://bluewater.co.uk; I noticed Afrobeat was on repeat throughout in one of the UK's largest shopping malls. 20-30 years ago, "African Music" = Congolese music, today it is Afrobeat!!

Even South Africa's Kwaito does pop up on the radio and has been adopted by Hollywood.

In my experience of attending African parties in UK, EU & USA; Congolese music is now perceived as outdated; nice but nostalgic! Anyone under 30 has little interest in that genre and that's not entirely surprising when Kin's biggest artists peaked 20-30 years ago and the new (5th) generation leaves a lot to be desired.

The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct." - Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesman & Philosopher