Author Topic: Would someone already have filled Stade de France if there weren't combattans ?  (Read 1077 times)

Mfumu Vata on: October 18, 2022, 16:23

• View Profile
I saw an interview of Bill Clinton Kalonji with Isaac Mayi justifying his answers about Werrason. Him at some point saying that Davido will perform at Wembley Stadium. I thought that Bill was mistaking it with Wembley Arena which is a hall of 12.500 seats in London. But when doing my research I saw that he's right, although not having picked a date. Later I also discovered that Burna Boy is preparing a show for Wembley Stadium in 2023.

It will be difficult for Congolese artists to fill Wembley Stadium on their own, since that London isn't the centre of Congolese music but Paris. However, do y'all think that there would already be an artist to have performed at Stade de France on their own if there wasn't a combattant-ban ?

I remember Werrason saying in an interview back in 2018-19, that he and Youssou Ndour received a contract to perform at Parc des Princes, but that it came when the combattans-ban just started. I don't know if he's was lying to impress people since that Koffi announced U-Arena in the same period.

Manzambi94 #1 on: October 18, 2022, 19:58

• View Profile
I saw an interview of Bill Clinton Kalonji with Isaac Mayi justifying his answers about Werrason. Him at some point saying that Davido will perform at Wembley Stadium. I thought that Bill was mistaking it with Wembley Arena which is a hall of 12.500 seats in London. But when doing my research I saw that he's right, although not having picked a date. Later I also discovered that Burna Boy is preparing a show for Wembley Stadium in 2023.

It will be difficult for Congolese artists to fill Wembley Stadium on their own, since that London isn't the centre of Congolese music but Paris. However, do y'all think that there would already be an artist to have performed at Stade de France on their own if there wasn't a combattant-ban ?

I remember Werrason saying in an interview back in 2018-19, that he and Youssou Ndour received a contract to perform at Parc des Princes, but that it came when the combattans-ban just started. I don't know if he's was lying to impress people since that Koffi announced U-Arena in the same period.
Maybe Fally in the Original/Elok'Oyo ERA and after the feat with French artist, If Fally never took foot off the accelerator he would have probably done it but now I see it difficult because a lot of guys who used to follow fally especially in Nigeria moved on, about Werra it is tricky he always had that strong Congolese base and to some extent Southern African base, but as said before he struggle in Cote D'Avorio which is like an hub for Francophone artist if they want to be worldwide in French Africa and I have yet to see some Nigerians, Ghanaians etc. Talk about Werrason, plus Werra failed to break from the Congolese diaspora after A La Queue Leu Leu only Congolese Angolan And Brazzaville people know him in France with other Africans tending more to Fally, with even the Diaspora youngsters forgetting that Werra had a career after Sous Sol, Mayi Ya Sika and Techno Malewa, I rarely see the Inget agenerique being played ot the Proteger Base being played with people favoring Fally and now Roga Roga's Bokoko

Mfumu Vata #2 on: October 18, 2022, 20:43

• View Profile
Africa N1 hadn't the same impact anymore and MCM Africa didn't exist anymore and became Trace, them not broadcasting full generiques like MCM Africa used to do, which was killing it a little bit. Werrason was more focused in having succes in Kinshasa/Brazzaville and performing in mythic halls of Paris. Another thing is that Werrason didn't had a proper management for Francophone Africa, like Koffi had when being signed with Sonodisc. However Werrason kept getting Kora's (two in 2004 and one in 2005).

Another thing is that because of Werra's limitations in French and not having a strong staff like that of Koffi, he isn't able to make friends with the elite over those countries there. Like for example, Koffi was a big friend of Hamed Bakayoko. This made Koffi automatically being invited by his company Mayama Production to perform in Ivory Coast when releasing a new album of finishing an Europe-tour. However, in other countries like Cameroon, Benin, Mali and Burkina Faso where he had a huge fanbase, he was at some point not coming anymore because of lawsuits, scandals and not having someone like Bakayoko to defend him. Back in 2007, Koffi was about to get arrested in Ivory Coast but Hamed Bakayoko helped him to escape the country and returned the next year back without problem.

Blaise Bula also became good friends with Hamed Bakayoko when coming there in 1997 and 1998 with Wenge. It was the same Hamed who financially helped him with Ponderation 8, Blaise Bula dedicated the song Nostalgie to his radio "Radio Nostalgie" and not sure if he also went with band there. If Blaise Bula had the same succes like JB, then would have performed in Ivory Coast every year like Koffi.

Werrason had only good contact with the late Edith Lucie "Titho" Sassou-Nguesso who was the wife of president Omar Bongo and a huge WMM fan, which made him since Solola Bien performing in Gabon every year until her death. They even made a song for her husband Omar Bongo in Temoignage called Na Touché featering legend Jacob Desvarieaux (RIP) guitarist/singer of Kassav.

Apart, Zambia and Zimbabwe where Werra's succes is bigger than Francophone Africa, Werra only went to Togo in 2006 in the period of 2003-2009 (I don't count Angola, Brazza and Gabon). That tour didn't go well, the music promoter running away, Werra abandoning his musicians and them going to Kinshasa on their own. I think that it was that trip where Lacoste earned the nickname "Mvuama" because of paying tickets for 5 musicians to return back to Kinshasa

About Stade de France. I think that he had a chance after releasing his solo-album Arche de Noe of 2012/13 that never came or a group album after it, every thing would depend on Techno Malewa Suite et Fin. The album wasn't received well because of combattants  and people being focused elections. Soyons Serieux also flopped for those reasons. It's sad because Werrason made a strong back with Techno Malewa volume 1, after a difficult 2008, Temps Present which was so/so. We have a huge community in Europe and promotion for 6 months/1 year could make it possible. Preparing such shows also go in small steps. Like for example Koffi who first did Olympia and Zenith in 1999, then Bercy in 2000 and wanting to perform at Parc des Princes in 2001. Fally once wrote on his skyblog something like that, that his next show would be at Bercy and having a question-mark behind Stade de France.

Paysan Congolais #3 on: October 24, 2022, 22:20

• View Profile
Nah. Maybe Parc des Prince for Fally. Maybe. Not sure.

However, I know that a concert with all the big congolese musicians, like you can see it in some communities, will fill the Parc des Princes.