Author Topic: New bands formed by unknown artists  (Read 4285 times)

bencuri on: February 20, 2015, 14:13

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Some of you mentioned it many times that there was no new band emerging in the past 2 decades. When I think about the situation in Congo, I can somehow understand the reason for it. Possibly for a young talented person, it is more beneficial seaching for the patronage of a well known star and later leaving to continue alone, in a society that is not capable of supporting a newcomer.

But I find it strange that when you do some search on Youtube for sebene demonstrations, you can find the videos of many youths and even older guys, who are unknown in the market, rehearsing. And much of the stuff sounds actually more interesting to me than the stuff famous bands release nowdays. I always ask myself: "why don't these guys form a permanent band, release an album and start touring?" From the videos it is obvious they are from the diaspora. Starting a band in Canada, US and the UK is very very easy, especially if you are a youth, full of energy and ambition. If you have at least a small community that is interested in your stuff, you can easily arrange a cheap production of your albums. Today, setting up a home studio and producing your own album is by far not as difficult as it was 20-30 years ago, especially in a wealthy country. It is even possible to produce a decent debut album on your own by an appropriate editing software and a normal laptop. Moreover, all over the world (and it is not a new phenomenon) there are artists who don't even have a cirle that is interested in them initially. They just release an album for their sake, or start releasing videos on Youtube, and soon they become stars, some of them become better known than famous figures from the Congolese music scene. So I just don't understand why these youngsters and older experienced guys don't make a step forward, and instead of posting a low quality video recorded by their phone to Youtube, record these cool sebens for an album and start a project. In the countries where these people live, it is common to run a band only for fun, as a hobby. Even in my town people do it, and they even earn money by it. Some of them become stars along the way, even make it into the media. So I don't understand the disinterest of the posters of these seben vidoes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 14:17 by bencuri »

Zaiko #1 on: February 20, 2015, 18:22

• View Profile
I just replied to another post asking the same question.  Some of the best congolese bands are only known to youtube for the most part.  A few weeks ago I watched a clip by some gospel group called ADM.  I dont know where they are based but everything Ive every heard from the band displays a much higher level of talent (guitar/bass/drumming/keyboards) vs any other Congolese group Ive ever heard.  The melodies they produce have pushed the bar higher in terms of complexity and innovation to the sebene.  I always ask myself why groups like that arent more popular among the people..

bencuri #2 on: February 21, 2015, 18:50

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I always ask myself why groups like that arent more popular among the people..

Oh, that is a totally different question. And not easy to answer. It would be totally enough to make me glad if I could experince these bands have more ambitions. But why they do not have? Maybe they don't realize the potential there is in their music. Just guessing...

Which is that gospel band anyway, that you talk about?