Author Topic: ONCE PRIDE OF EAST  (Read 8972 times)

Ken Bilele on: October 04, 2017, 20:22

• View Profile

Les Mangelepa was once rulers of music scene in Kenya and the larger east Africa. My question is, do musicians lose their voice as they age or is it because of heavy smoking and drinking? The old men in there were once the giants of the mic.

Ken Bilele #1 on: October 04, 2017, 20:28

• View Profile

Anybody from the East will tell you it's NOSTALGIA!

MwanaMokili #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:56

• View Profile

Les Mangelepa was once rulers of music scene in Kenya and the larger east Africa. My question is, do musicians lose their voice as they age or is it because of heavy smoking and drinking? The old men in there were once the giants of the mic.

I would say it is a combination of both.

To maintain a clear voice like Evani was back in those days requires a very disciplined individual and a very good standard of living ( talking diet, health e.t.c not money)

Men do age faster and their voice breaks after some time, so it is doubly difficult for male musicians.
To compare: Listen to Mbilia Bel and you would notice her voice is very good, almost as good as during her 1980's hey days. She was once interviewed and asked why her voice and looks have remained top notch, and her response:
1. Avoid Drinking and smoking - Beer and whisky is a no-no (If you have to drink take wine....)
2. Maintain a very good diet, preferably avoid red meat ( she eats Fish only)
3. Get enough sleep to refresh the body, and plenty of exercise

It is telling that a lot of musicians tend to go for the fast life- drinking, smoking and partying till late to give the impression of the good life to their fans. This does not last as most end up losing their vocal chords, geting hoarse or their body cannot maintain the intensity.

Mangelepa have done reasonably well when you compare with the stars of that generation today - most cannot even sing to this level ( Sadly, most are dead and those remaining live in abject poverty and can only recite stories of their days)

But you are right.

Mangelepa ruled East Africa from their base at the Garden Square Nairobi. All hail the masters of the Stage Marshal!!!

MwanaMokili #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:03

• View Profile

Weka Part 2 BWana !!!

Manzambi94 #4 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59

• View Profile
Ken speaking of Swahili music can you please help me understand who is this band and if they built a legacy?

Mbilia Bel is right, the body needs rest and good food this is why you see people live until their hundreds and athletes dying at 100 too, drinking and smoking are the last shit you need to drink just water and good food

Ken Bilele #5 on: October 05, 2017, 13:52

• View Profile
Ken speaking of Swahili music can you please help me understand who is this band and if they built a legacy?

Mbilia Bel is right, the body needs rest and good food this is why you see people live until their hundreds and athletes dying at 100 too, drinking and smoking are the last shit you need to drink just water and good food

Its my first time seeing this, have no idea who they are. They are not from East Africa, In fact they are playing copyright, their Swahili is like from the East Congo and the lady looks Rwandese or Burundian. The message at the start of the song!!! lol.

Ken Bilele #6 on: October 05, 2017, 14:22

• View Profile

Look at the charisma with which Kabanze is singing at 3:10 Min, Very few in Congo today will sing with that kind of ease. When guys sing today you see big vain on their forehead or their neck.

MwanaMokili #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:11

• View Profile

Its my first time seeing this, have no idea who they are. They are not from East Africa, In fact they are playing copyright, their Swahili is like from the East Congo and the lady looks Rwandese or Burundian. The message at the start of the song!!! lol.

This group is from the 1970's when Boney M were the rave, and it was fashioned after that group.
They were based in Europe ( Most probably Germany) but I doubt any of them were African. The Swahili sounds like a literal translation of English/Swahili  and not a compositio by natural speaker.

During that time there was a lot of focus on Africa, after the Rumble in the Jungle, Back to Africa movement and the likes and a lot of music groups in Europe were trying to cash in on the wave.

This is the only song I know from this group but it was quite popular in Kenya during the 70's, mostly due to it being foreign, got played on the English service of the (only) local radio station back then.

Ken Bilele #8 on: October 06, 2017, 10:18

• View Profile

This group is from the 1970's when Boney M were the rave, and it was fashioned after that group.
They were based in Europe ( Most probably Germany) but I doubt any of them were African. The Swahili sounds like a literal translation of English/Swahili  and not a compositio by natural speaker.

During that time there was a lot of focus on Africa, after the Rumble in the Jungle, Back to Africa movement and the likes and a lot of music groups in Europe were trying to cash in on the wave.

This is the only song I know from this group but it was quite popular in Kenya during the 70's, mostly due to it being foreign, got played on the English service of the (only) local radio station back then.

Thanks Bro, I have never heard about such a band before.

Manzambi94 #9 on: October 06, 2017, 20:46

• View Profile

Thanks Bro, I have never heard about such a band before.
I have to add that I have heard this song for the first time on the game PES 2011 that game for PS3 WLwas the best in the soundtrack two Congolese song this one and Wumbanzanga by Konono Asian people especially Japanese really love African and most of all Congolese music it is thanks to Ali yes but to Emeneya too anyway I found something on Wikipedia so I paste it

Aie a Mwana" is the best-known title of a song originally written by the French-Belgian writing and production team of Daniel Vangarde and Jean Kluger.

It was first recorded in 1971 under the title "Aieaoa" on the album Le Monde Fabuleux Des Yamasuki. In 1975, a version with predominantly Swahili lyrics by Black Blood, an African group recording in Belgium, was released as "A.I.E. (A Mwana)". The Swahili version also appeared in a football video game, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011. In 1981, "Aie a Mwana" became the first single released by English girl group Bananarama. In 2010, with an identical melody but new lyrics and released as "Helele", it became an official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, in a version by Velile and Safri Duo.

Mkaya #10 on: October 07, 2017, 06:38

• View Profile

Look at the charisma with which Kabanze is singing at 3:10 Min, Very few in Congo today will sing with that kind of ease. When guys sing today you see big vain on their forehead or their neck.

Ken Bilele from 3:10 that is Badibaga wa Tshilumba aka Kai Kai (also nicknamed by his colleagues 'Mwana Mai' because of his love for people from around Lake - Victoria !!). Kai Kai was a band within the band, he could lead the vocals, dances and the horns! A young Kabila Kabenze is next to Bwami Walumona the lead guitarist. Kai Kai died in 2015 in S. Africa.

http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/weekend/Composer-of-Nyako-Konya-hit-song-buried-in-SA/1220-2617396-14x4yc3z/index.html

Ken Bilele #11 on: October 09, 2017, 09:49

• View Profile

Ken Bilele from 3:10 that is Badibaga wa Tshilumba aka Kai Kai (also nicknamed by his colleagues 'Mwana Mai' because of his love for people from around Lake - Victoria !!). Kai Kai was a band within the band, he could lead the vocals, dances and the horns! A young Kabila Kabenze is next to Bwami Walumona the lead guitarist. Kai Kai died in 2015 in S. Africa.

http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/weekend/Composer-of-Nyako-Konya-hit-song-buried-in-SA/1220-2617396-14x4yc3z/index.html

Voila, I confused Kabila with Kaikai,RIP what a talent Mwana Mai was. Thanks Mkaya. I would love to meet Vivi and Kabila this year.

MwanaMokili #12 on: October 09, 2017, 20:19

• View Profile

@ Ken Bilele :

This is another similar song by Black Blood that was also very popular back in the days.
The tune sounds very similar to a number by the Kenyan group - Sauti Sol  ( the one they Perfromed for Obama)

Not sure if you could recognise some phrases because of the very strange swahili ...

This was also a very poular hit with Voice of Kenya General Service back then.

Ken Bilele #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:53

• View Profile

@ Ken Bilele :

This is another similar song by Black Blood that was also very popular back in the days.
The tune sounds very similar to a number by the Kenyan group - Sauti Sol  ( the one they Perfromed for Obama)

Not sure if you could recognise some phrases because of the very strange swahili ...

Yes indeed strange Swahili but I ask again, are you the Blackest Man in Black Africa? Kindly confirm.

MwanaMokili #14 on: October 10, 2017, 13:50

• View Profile

@ Ken Bilele :

Yes indeed strange Swahili but I ask again, are you the Blackest Man in Black Africa? Kindly confirm.

Ha Ha !!

Not sure I heard you the first time, but that title belongs to Fred Obachi Machoka....