Author Topic: MICHAEL JACKSON DRUMMER JONATHAN MOFFET "WANNABE STARTIN"  (Read 3968 times)

shamala on: May 17, 2018, 06:17

• View Profile
I don't find it appealing.....drummists here help analyses
PORTE-PAROLE NON OFFICIEL DE JB MPIANA ET WENGE BCBG.

Tata Nkiadi #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:25

• Congolais abotami na Etas-Unis
    • View Profile
This video isn’t about tricks. It’s about a drummer who can keep perfect timing. He executed all of the hits beautifully while working the hi hats throughout the song without losing a step. For a lot of drummers today that’s hard to do. His chops towards the end were a bit outdated but I digress. Nonetheless, as a professional session drummer he’s extremely skilled.

shamala #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:10

• View Profile
This video isn’t about tricks. It’s about a drummer who can keep perfect timing. He executed all of the hits beautifully while working the hi hats throughout the song without losing a step. For a lot of drummers today that’s hard to do. His chops towards the end were a bit outdated but I digress. Nonetheless, as a professional session drummer he’s extremely skilled.
thanks i have been schooled.
how comes i done feel him ? i am feeling the first lady in the below video. Do western drummers no put emotions in their playing but just play correctly?

Tata Nkiadi #3 on: May 18, 2018, 19:12

• View Profile
Do western drummers no put emotions in their playing but just play correctly?

Where a drummer is from has nothing to do with it. Titina could probably do the same thing although Congolese music is basically organized improvisation.  Pop music is different, depending on the genre and the song.  In Michael Jackson's case or any other touring artist for that matter, they hire a Musical Director (equivalent to Chef D'Orchestre) who arranges the music specifically for the tour(s).  For most of those songs that are played on the radio, the music tend to be monotonous: minimal breaks and not quite busy.  To get a song live ready for a live band, the song has to sound like the record with a few enhancements. The drummer above had the tough task of staying in the pocket and and making it sound like the record without it losing its originality.  He basically did his job.  There's nothing wrong with charisma or nice tricks only if the song allows for it or the MD wants to take it there.  What amazes me most about him is that he was able to keep the beat going without adding anything.  As an occasional drummer myself, that's extremely hard and takes a lot of skill, practice drills and discipline. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 19:16 by Tata Nkiadi »

shamala #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:07

• View Profile
Learning a lot...
Now back to Congolese drummers some earn praise while others are vilified. In line with the two anlysis could the same line of argument be used to compare them?

Tata Nkiadi #5 on: May 19, 2018, 15:23

• View Profile
Learning a lot...
Now back to Congolese drummers some earn praise while others are vilified. In line with the two anlysis could the same line of argument be used to compare them?

It's funny, I don't pay attention to a lot of the negativity surrounding artists and musicians.  I remember once upon a time, Kakol was vilified for not being a good drummer, but Werra stuck by him and now he's pretty decent.  Kakol's issue at the time to me was that he was missing hits and breaks unlike the rest of the musicians who were executing them.  Now he's Chef D'Orchestre of Maison Mere. When Quartier Latin had the lineup with Fally, Ferre, Jipson, Roi Soleil, they had 2 of the best drummers in the game at the time. Titina and Champion Muanza, they were THAT good!  A good drummer knows how to follow with his comrades and vocalists, and knows how to pay attention to what's going on.

Matebu #6 on: May 19, 2018, 22:01

• View Profile
@Tata Nkiadi; I’m curious to know who you think is the best drummer the genre as seen and why.

My default answer has always been Titina because he utilizes the entire drumset all the time, whereas someone like Kakol focuses heavily on snares

My top 5 is:
Titina
Djujuchet
Ramatoulaye
Champion
Merijo

Honorable mentions (I might be missing one or two great ones):
Ile de Cambodge
Simolo Katondi
Kaps Kapangala

shamala #7 on: May 20, 2018, 07:26

• View Profile

Tata Nkiadi #8 on: May 21, 2018, 14:21

• View Profile
@Tata Nkiadi; I’m curious to know who you think is the best drummer the genre as seen and why.
My default answer has always been Titina because he utilizes the entire drumset all the time, whereas someone like Kakol focuses heavily on snares

Titina hands down.  I believe he should let go of being a band leader and travel the world being a session musician. He has the IT factor.