Author Topic: Extra Musica: Shalai clips (at least what I could salvage)  (Read 6882 times)

Wenge1995 on: January 15, 2019, 11:45

• View Profile
My older sister is a huge Extra Musica fan, I know she has their DVDs. When I see her this weekend, I'll look into uploading them to my channel and forwarding the link to the forum.

In the meanwhile, enjoy friends!

Congomusiclover001 #1 on: January 16, 2019, 19:18

• View Profile
Some of the animations sounded more like Arafat than Kila Mbongo. Was Arafat already there during this album and just didn't make the video?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 21:58 by Congomusiclover001 »

Matebu #2 on: January 16, 2019, 21:38

• View Profile
Some of the animations sounded like Arafat than Kila Mbongo. Was Arafat already there during this album and just didn't make the video?

Yup, the was Arafat's debut in the band. His voice changed so much through the years

mvulusi96 #3 on: January 16, 2019, 23:38

Hahaha the way Oxygene was eating the leaves (4.04 min) and the way Herman was chasing Papy Bastin towards the end of the video.

Wenge1995 #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:43

• View Profile
@Matebu

At the 5 minute and 30 second mark and onward, the man singing around the children for the clip of Ndzima is the atalaku Arafat 2500 Volts.

mvulusi96 #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:56

So Extra Musica is the only band of the two Congo's to have shooted a videoclip at Château de Versailles (Palace of Versailles) ? Most solo artists and bands prefer always to shoot their clip at the Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe. I guess that they shooted that videoclip the same day when they had to perform at Palais des Sports.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:01 by mvulusi96 »

mvulusi96 #6 on: January 18, 2019, 09:16

I think that people in Brazzaville had something like wow to see Chateaux Rouge for the first time hahahaha. Wasn't it annoying for the cardiver to wait them finishing dancing ?from 5.15 min. In the videoclip of N'julie drivers had to wait twice for Roga & Sonor to finish dancing.

The videoclips of Shalai shooted in Paris were far better than those of Trop c'est Trop (except Probleme sur Probleme, Guivano & 12 Balles), those clips of Shalai shooted in Brazzaville were really horrible.

Wenge1995 #7 on: January 18, 2019, 10:25

• View Profile
@mvulusi96

I couldn't dance like that on the streets, much less film them kiekie! I would die of second hand embarrassment, they're literally obstructing traffic  ;D

Can you translate what Arafat is saying at 6:45 and onward of N'Julie? That was one of my favorite animations of all time!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:30 by Wenge1995 »

Wenge1995 #8 on: January 18, 2019, 10:32

• View Profile
It's so weird how little footage of Extra Musica's live performances there is on the internet. No Zenith...no Palais des Sports...very weird

mvulusi96 #9 on: January 18, 2019, 12:58

It's so weird how little footage of Extra Musica's live performances there is on the internet. No Zenith...no Palais des Sports...very weird

If Extra Musica came from Kinshasa, then we would have already seen those old videotapes of their concert at Zenith, Palais des Sports, Bataclan and Abidjan 1997 on youtube. Most people coming from Brazzaville aren't really into the music coming from their country and those who are real musicfanatics prefer mostly music coming from Kinshasa then that of their own country. Don't forget that most people who upload music on youtube are mostly people who were close to musicians, who used to have a shop or their children who are seeing it as hobby with them then starting to contact other people to give them old VHS-tapes. Alot of people throwed old videotapes away when musicproducers started to release only DVD's. I also thrown away all my videotapes back in 2010/11, but now 8 years I regret it alot because used to have alot of videotapes who are very rare and who aren't on youtube.

mvulusi96 #10 on: January 18, 2019, 12:59

@mvulusi96

I couldn't dance like that on the streets, much less film them kiekie! I would die of second hand embarrassment, they're literally obstructing traffic  ;D

Can you translate what Arafat is saying at 6:45 and onward of N'Julie? That was one of my favorite animations of all time!

I can't translate it, because my kikongo is very bad.

SLK97 #11 on: January 18, 2019, 13:48

• View Profile
So Extra Musica played at the Palais des Sports as well? That says a lot about how big they probably were back then. Obviously not to the level of the clan Wenge or Quartier Latin, but that's interesting. Their labels must've been doing something right for Extra to be playing such venues in Paris.

mvulusi96 #12 on: January 18, 2019, 14:08

So Extra Musica played at the Palais des Sports as well? That says a lot about how big they probably were back then. Obviously not to the level of the clan Wenge or Quartier Latin, but that's interesting. Their labels must've been doing something right for Extra to be playing such venues in Paris.

They used to be one of the most popular bands in Africa. Don't forget that they bet Wenge Musica 4x4 at the Ngomo Africa of 1997 and won the Kora of best African group against Wenge Maison Mere in 2000 with Herman Ngassaki saying "l'humiliation est le jugement de competence, Extra Musica Kora 2000" in Bikissa Nga Kayembe. Etat Major used to be one of the most played generiques in the years 1999, 2000, 2001 with Aministie Shalai and later Trop c'est Trop being also big hits in Africa and diaspora-nightclubs. The succes of Etat Major and Shalai made Extra Musica tour months long in African countries more than BCBG, Maison Mere & Koffi did in those years. Going even to countries like Madagaskar. Their manager Ferreol Gassakys (Herman's oncle) did a big job in promoting them. After the succes of Etat Major they signed a 5-albums deal with JPS Production. Extra Musica's impact in Europe wasn't big like that of Papa Wemba, Koffi Olomide, JB Mpiana & Werrason because of them not having a big community like  ours, but they played at least at Bataclan, Palais des Sports & Zenith. They tried to become more close to people coming from Kinshasa to get a bigger audience and more support with them giving shout-outs in Shalai to influent guys like Eric Kenzo, Richard Kiangata, Papito Mbala, etc. and women like Jose Kongolo FBI "Kolo Mibeko", Shaguy Sharufa "La Refence", Maman Pauline Nzongo, La Reine Amynata, etc. When they performed at Zenith de Paris they invited Koffi Olomide & Papa Wemba, but people coming from Kinshasa still saw them as copycats of the old Wenge Musica because of their name, having still that image of their concert in 1995 at Studio Maman Ngebi in their minds with their first albums Confirmation & Nouveau Missiles who were done in the Wenge 4x4-style.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 14:37 by mvulusi96 »

bencuri #13 on: January 19, 2019, 02:22

• Administrator
    • View Profile
In this clip, who is that old guy appearing at 1:21?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:24 by bencuri »

mvulusi96 #14 on: January 19, 2019, 06:29

In this clip, who is that old guy appearing at 1:21?

That’s their ex’manager Ferreol Ngassaki