Author Topic: COMING SOON THE ORIGIN OF NDOMBOLO  (Read 22223 times)

archos on: March 11, 2015, 10:17

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
I just got a sudden inspiration  with some memories coming back to me and i thought i would nice to share,who did what,who changed what until the different versions we know....
 if i have time tonight at home i will do it or tomorrow hopefully
stay tuned

bencuri #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:01

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The question is already answered!  ;D

KAISARI #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:10

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile
Amazing how much Brazza contributes to this muzik we love...
You do not beat a drum with one finger

archos #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:54

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
The question is already answered!  ;D

lol  no maybe shegues develeped the dance after but it was a not a street creation like i will explain in my post of tonight

archos #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:23

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
thank you guys for the feedback,i will start first by explaining what is ndombolo
over the years,many people thought it was either the bottom of a person or a monkey dance,but in reality ndombolo is no other that a form of weed and a rather strong one which made people ecstatic after smoking
the orginal idea of this dance started with three men:bouro mpela,his younger brother seguin,and their friend eric ndombasi(who now receives a lot of mabanga in albums as "eric ndombasi appel masqué"
while they were chilling at home and singing seguin started dancing  like here at 2 44
  and bouro and eric followed
all three were members of group promise musica which also had as members polystar,mboshi lipasa,alino biongo(vimba) and also sometimes tutu caludji who despite being in wenge musica,was sometimes rehearsing with them to ge some of their inspiration and make it very popular thanks to the big success of wenge
 when rehearsing with promise, all three started that dance but with much more energy and out of a joke alino said "you guys are dancing like you just smoked ndombolo' as it sounded cool they thought why not name the dance like that
 then came the time for variations, eric ndombasi came with the move here at 3 38
which bouro mpela modified with the concept of "equerre"(set square) which consists from his own words of almost replicating the form a table
this move  was then mixed with the one of eric
then came time for animation which alino started as ndombolo eh ndombolo mama ndombolo then a frenetic repetition of ndombolo for like one minute(in loi we can all hear mboshi shouting out alino biongo)
few days after,tutu caludji came and after listening to them did another version "ndombolo ya mama songanzila ndombolo ah ndombolo,tala tobinaki kebo...tobina kitisela tozonga na situtala situtambula malembe..." which is partly inpsired of a traditional folk song  and a second version of ndombolo just with people's name after(which will be used by mboshi and caludji in the first part of their ndombolo we all know on albums)
in end of 1996 when mboshi and bouro join quartier latin they go with ndombolo and in the same time caludji presents ndombolo in wenge musica but there will a difference between both version mboshi goes with a short version of that animation in sync with bouro's" equerre" while caludji goes for a more complete version
the little transition between situtambula malembe and tala mama nzulu is taken from shegues in a dance about handscuffs(but the full version of the dance was not used,another part of that dance will be used much later by alino in the dance voler n'est pas bon)
bouro also added to that dance that 180° move and the "snake" gesture
so caludji is known for being the creator of ndombolo since he came with the longer version and it was emphasized by the fact generique of jb mpiana's feux de l'amour was named ndombolo and bouro known as the creator of ndombolo for having brought most of the steps
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 14:59 by archos »

NEWSIDE96 #5 on: March 12, 2015, 12:13

• View Profile
Many thanks archos for the clarification, I wonder though when dance was actually released because in kin around late 1995 early 96 wenge already had the dance moves but first time I heard it was on tele Zaire when Ferre sang it so did it go to Wenge first before Quartier Latin that's all I want to know.

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #6 on: March 12, 2015, 12:51

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ah, thanx for this info archos, now we know why people argue about the origin.
LE BIG BOSS

archos #7 on: March 12, 2015, 14:57

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
Many thanks archos for the clarification, I wonder though when dance was actually released because in kin around late 1995 early 96 wenge already had the dance moves but first time I heard it was on tele Zaire when Ferre sang it so did it go to Wenge first before Quartier Latin that's all I want to know.

yes one thing few people know is that  in that period,when seguin joined 4X4,he moved to jb's house where afandé was already leaving at along with bouro but bouro did not last too much as he went to latino and from then the dance was presented to wenge guys
and then koffi kind of promoted it a bit faster on a cd(similar thing happened earlier for example with the dance mandundu)

BG-ground #8 on: March 12, 2015, 16:28

• View Profile
Archos, but Koffi do that animation in one of the track of Wake up,which came out bfore Feux de l'Amour and Loi
"Ndembo, ndembo ndembo.Ndombolo ndombola ah ndombolo....ehhh ba shegueee chance eloko pamba ..."

NEWSIDE96 #9 on: March 12, 2015, 16:30

• View Profile
Archos, but Koffi do that animation in one of the track of Wake up,which came out bfore Feux de l'Amour and Loi
"Ndembo, ndembo ndembo.Ndombolo ndombola ah ndombolo....ehhh ba shegueee chance eloko pamba ..."

At the time Koffi was in europe so I think he probably watched on of Wenge's cassettes and obviously hearing it was top dance in Kin he probably took it for Wake up

archos #10 on: March 12, 2015, 16:40

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile

indeed, thats the first version i talked about (basically repeating ndombolo over and over again) which coincided with mboshi joining latino
then after the more developed versions appeared on loi,feux de l'amour and many albums from other artists
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 16:42 by archos »

KAISARI #11 on: March 12, 2015, 17:10

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile
Archos I think its safe to say that this your version of the Ndombolo mystery  :)

archos #12 on: March 12, 2015, 17:12

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
Archos I think its safe to say that this your version of the Ndombolo mystery  :)

what do you mean?

KAISARI #13 on: March 12, 2015, 17:57

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile

what do you mean?
Your story clears the air on the origin of the name but not the dance.

archos #14 on: March 12, 2015, 18:12

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
 maybe i did not explain myself well,but in short there is a  little bit of seguin and eric ndombasi,major part by bouro and the rest by shegues its something collective,unlike dances like kiwanzenza for example or kisanola which were 100 per cent done by shegues