Author Topic: V12  (Read 11683 times)

Paysan Congolais #15 on: November 30, 2018, 06:11

• View Profile
I never understood how people put "Loi" above "Noblesse Oblige". "Noblesse Oblige" is way better.

And the young crowd seem to overlook Koff's early albums. I'll put  "Les Prisonniers dorment" before "Loi".

Paysan Congolais #16 on: November 30, 2018, 06:20

• View Profile
 :o
So for the most of us, we all agree that effrakata, v12 & Loi are koffi’s best albums?
I thought attentat was average but there was some dope cuts (the generic, number one, non assistance, cameleon, boda bodak). It so a « koffi & ql album » plus I found the drum sound weaker that other albums. But the hype was heavy (new band, bercy, new atalaku, fally, soleil, savanet), But anyway, there is some highlights. fally/gypson/soleil/lola génération realy « confirmed » in effrakata, because in attentat, the band was still in  « construction »
I agree with u brother, the 2000/2001 choirs were messed up in concert. But the arrangements made effrakata one of the most powerful of the decade 00/10 & affaire d’etat for the most of us, the best ql album.

The album is good but it did not age that well. The songs you've listed are not Koff's most famous or most loved. When people talk about Loi, the main thing they think about is the generique.

Loi is not on the same level with V12 or Noblesse Oblige.

To me, it started the artistic "decline" of Koffi, even though he reached his commercial prime at the same time. There is a Koffi before Loi and a Koffi after Loi. The first half of his career is clearly better.

I cant call LOI a classic because if you take away the generique and Micko that album is flat for the most part. The only thing that saved it was that it was the first album where all the videos were perfect, all the locations were chosen perfectly the choregraphies, the outfits everything about the LOI VHS was perfect. Its the one that started the trend I think.

But as far as music and calling the actual music in its entirety  a masterpiece I cant put it with V12 or some of the earlier ones. Personally Magie is a classic to me so i’d go with V12 and Magie. But no to me LOI without that sebene is not even close to classic.

It just marked everybody’s spirit because it was all orchastrated very well, but in hindsight looking back, we dont listen to much of those cuts from that album. Maybe Phaseur and SOS like bro said but thats it.
Not a classic?????? Tchip That's not true it's easy to say that now.... when loi came out all the songs were on repeat me people still play songs off that album now so how can you call it flat? It had songs like airways, Vicky, papito charme, mokuwa, motomolo on replay. A lot of people still listen to that album and its aged well so how can you say people don't listen to songs off that album

Paysan Congolais #17 on: November 30, 2018, 06:25

• View Profile
The thing which saved Loi are just the sebenes and the generique. The songs aren't better than V12, Noblesse Oblige and the albums before that. Looks like he started to lose inspiration in the way of composing songs or maybe it was because the way he was busy with touring and the problems he started to get in his private life and wars against his collegues.The songs weren't bad, but not on level of Les Prissoniers Dorment, V12, Elle et Moi and Henriquet. The only songs who stood out were in my opinion Phaseur and S.O.S. (remix version). I think that Koffi wanted to repair that fault by making songs who touch deeper (Sans Anesthesie, Non Assistance, Kamutshima and Boda Bodack). That's also why I prefer Attentat above Loi, but people were more focused on his reactions against Papa Wemba and the new singers of Quartier Latin (Soleil, Fally, Lola, Spino,etc.). Btw I found those sebenes on Attentat better than Loi. One of the differences between Attentat and Loi is that many songs in Loi were arranged by Maika Munan (Iteneraire and Manou for example) trying to bring that style of Mbabula back while on Attentat he gave Philphe Guez the full direction.

The thing which i found special about V12 was that Koffi recorded the album just with 4 singers (Eric Tutsi, Babia Ndonga, Modogo and Suzuki). Also Fouta Djallon came like a standard of all songs he recorded after that (Sans Anesthesie, Airways, Pomme Verte, Sivili, etc.) and the rumba-songs of the 5th generation. The same with Andrada where he introduced the tradinational Zebola-style which we heard later in many other songs like Micko. Credit to Beniko Popolipo "Zero Faute", Philiphe Guez and Rocky Blanchard who were the brain of that album. Popolipo also played bass on some songs. On Aspirine he played the bass-line of the song Ngungi who was sung by Franco and Tabu Ley. He was also the brain behind the rhythm of Parking Ya Baba (which Guez then played on the keyboards).

I think that adding sebenes of Effrakata would mess V12 up lol and its too aggressive for that album. V12 c'est la classe. Imagine having a smooth song like Etat Civil with then suddenly the sebene of Gilba hahahaha. The chorus-squad of Effrakata was horrible, but the studio-sessions made look it excellent. During that era Koffi was looking for a good tenorist to cover that but guys Soleil, Gypson and Fally weren't accepting those people in their band, fearing their positions in the band and were giving those guys a hard time. Listen to the chorus of Quartier Latin from 2000 until 2004 and you will see how horrible it was to hear Lola Muana and Gypson messing the chorus up. I think that they  put the mics of both guys on low when they performed at Bercy and that of Eric Tutsi and Mustapha on high. On Zenith 2001 the chorus didn't even have cohesion. The squad of Babia, Eric, Suzuki and Modogo was excellent and far better, I'm still looking for their concert at LSC in 1995 before the recordings of V12. If you hear their chorus you will think that you are in heaven adding Willy Bula and Sam Tshintu makes you going to another planet. To bad that Koffi lost the recording-files of the Ultimatum version of 1996 recorded in Kenya which had Babia Ndonga, Suzuki, Modogo, Willy, Sam and Eric Tutsi as singers .

Listen to this chorus. R.I.P. Babia Ndonga, Koffi was right by naming him "La Voix du Siecle".  I remember that Koffi wanted to take Babia to Europe to add his voice on the chorus of Loi when he returned to Quartier Latin. But he was changed his mind, thinking that he would ran away after missing the '97-tour which made him join Anti Choc. With Koffi then only taking Pathy, Champion, Felly, Lebou, Do Akongo, Dolce and Mboshi to correct the sebenes and adding some new animations to counter Feux de l'Amour.

Excellent post.

BR #18 on: November 30, 2018, 11:41

• View Profile
Personal I prefer noblesse oblige, haut de gamme and V12 as my best albums from Koffi and QLI group. I give the three albums 10/10. The likes of magie, effrakata, loi etc follow closely.

archos #19 on: November 30, 2018, 13:11

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
i tested miss tutsi from the singing part to eyalaaa then the sebene of gilba quite a brutal change of tempo lol

Mopao195 #20 on: April 03, 2021, 22:47

• MM
    • View Profile
Which month and day in 1995 did the album drop ?

litho #21 on: April 04, 2021, 00:35

• View Profile

13/10/1995

Mopao195 #22 on: April 04, 2021, 16:18

• MM
    • View Profile

13/10/1995
It will be the 26th anniversary soon do you think koffi will do something special ? Like a album of songs that didnt make the cut
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 19:02 by Mopao195 »

tyadm #23 on: April 04, 2021, 20:26

• View Profile

13/10/1995

How can you be sure?

litho #24 on: April 06, 2021, 23:53

• View Profile

13/10/1995

Yes I am 100% sure

How can you be sure?