Author Topic: Where are the frontlines recently in Congolese music?  (Read 3693 times)

bencuri on: January 08, 2020, 14:06

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am mostly interested in pre 2005 Congolese releases, so I don't really follow the newest artists. I know about the opposition between J.B and Werra, but do not know about any opposition like this between recent artists. However from the debates that happened recently, it seems to me there are things like that. But maybe I just misunderstood it, and there is no opposition between artists recently, only between fans. Even if it is so, let me know which group of fans do you belong to? Which artist do you support the most? I see Manzambi did not like Fabregas, but I do not know whom he preferred. Who do you prefer personally? So let me know which clan you belong to. Your answer will have no negative consequence, just asking to be able to draw a kind of statistic.

Wenge1995 #1 on: January 08, 2020, 21:13

• View Profile
I've been a loyalist to Fally Ipupa since Droit Chemin, but I do enjoy Ferre and a little bit of Fabregas. Heritier should be bigger than what he currently is, but he doesn't promote his music with the same aggression that Fally, Ferre, and even Werra do.

My main issue is that these guys don't give their band the opportunity to shine like groups leaders did from 2005 and the years before. Everyone wants to go solo after a couple memorable vocals and are shocked when their album flops, that's what disappoints me.

CM PRINCE #2 on: January 08, 2020, 21:32

• View Profile
I've been a loyalist to Fally Ipupa since Droit Chemin, but I do enjoy Ferre and a little bit of Fabregas. Heritier should be bigger than what he currently is, but he doesn't promote his music with the same aggression that Fally, Ferre, and even Werra do.

My main issue is that these guys don't give their band the opportunity to shine like groups leaders did from 2005 and the years before. Everyone wants to go solo after a couple memorable vocals and are shocked when their album flops, that's what disappoints me.
You've spoken nothing but facts.

congo-243 #3 on: January 09, 2020, 00:09

• View Profile

Facts. Not everyone is made to be a leader.

Cavalier Solitaire #4 on: January 09, 2020, 05:40

• View Profile

Facts. Not everyone is made to be a leader.
Like Bill Clinton. Ki leadership naye ebebi.

bencuri #5 on: January 09, 2020, 19:20

• Administrator
    • View Profile

This is because the economic situation of Congolese musicians. I am often among musicians in the UK, I see what's going on. In the Zaire era, the system was something like that sponsorships were many, that bands heavily relied on, and (just like it is still nowdays in Congo), being a musician was a chance to get out of poverty. Now the Zaire era ended, in the new era musicians have to earn money from the music market, that is unfamiliar to them after the old system. And this new era is not favourable for big bands either. Especially abroad. In London, for example, migrated musicians first start in a band like those in Congo. But bands dissolves sooner or later, because financially you cannot maintain a big band abroad. Also, in abroad, earning for a big family is difficult. In Africa if you have a big family, it is hard, but kind of okay, but in a place like UK, if you have a big family, you have more serious responsibilities required by the government as a parent, so if you want to have a big family, you need more money, and this is not possible with a big band or in a way that you are only a musicians but not having a second job besides. So bands become reduced in size, then what happens is that they are abandoned, and musicians go solo, because it means everybody can be a boss, can handle the finances themselves. But on the others side this degrades the quality of music. A singer, tho is good on a band record, is not sure will be able to make a good album alone, because they won't have the required ability to play instruments. So they will mostly rely on computer instruments, will hire musicians who may not be that motivated to play something good for small budget, and the result is what you can see. And, for many musicians going solo, Awilo is strong example to follow and inspirating to go to Afrobeat.  This is also tempting because for Afrobeat you can simply rely on computer instruments too, so your job will be much more easy. And this way the Congolese music we got used to is disappearing. Congolese musicians are in bad financial situation, and this means lack of motivation, putting money to first place in priority that often results in what I mentioned, less artistic value. I don't blame musicians for this, when you come from Congo it is inevitable, but for you to see what's happening, this is the situation. This age is profitable for solo acts, that are more conformed to Afrobeat. Not everybody is successful though, but some are, but mostly in a way that they conform to international styles and leave Congolese behind. In London, there are some Congolese like bands, that are very successful. But none is Congolese in a way as we like it, like Zaiko, for example. They mostly play fusion world music, because this is how they can get a good salary and exist in the international market. This situation would only change if there would be rich people who would offer big money for a group of musicians, making it required for them to play Congolese music only. Because then band members would be paid, and they could do Congolese music.

shamala #6 on: January 10, 2020, 06:49

• View Profile
The economic and social media are the greatest bane of Congolese music. Musicians are unable to navigate this. The government or music stakeholders have also not come in to take the slack.

In my country Kenya athletics is a booming industry. Alot of international sports companies have set up training camps that cater for local and international athletes plus talent spoting . A recent downside of this has been due to intense competition some international coaches have introduced performances enhancing drugs. Currently the government is cracking hard on these coaches. A proposal is being floated to jail athletes who dope. Such intervention ensure continuity.
 Sadly in the two Congo music has been left to informal structures. It saddens me given the massive talent that can contribute to the economy. (employment and all)
Lastly Kagame built a world-class basketball arena. One of the top Kenyan coaches was poached to Rwanda. At the end of this season he has returned to recruit Kenyan players to proceed to Rwanda on professional assignments.

Only and if only DRC government intervened...
PORTE-PAROLE NON OFFICIEL DE JB MPIANA ET WENGE BCBG.