Author Topic: Summer 2000 was really hot with those albums  (Read 5084 times)

Mfumu Vata on: May 23, 2021, 20:35

• View Profile
TH who came out somewhere in June 2000. It was JB Mpiana's second album. The album was a huge succes with songs like 48 Heures Gecoco, Walay Danico, Grace a Toi Germain, Education, Kinshasa, Sultan de Bruneil Kaskinto, etc. JB Mpiana would receive several prices with this album in Congo (Best Star of the year, best singer of the year,  best album of the year, best song of the year &  best songwriter of the year)

In July 2000, King Kester Emeneya finally released his long awaited solo album Longue Histoire. The album was able to get drop Magic Sytem's 1er Gaou out of number one spot at the Kilimadjaro music charts of Radio Africa N1 (presented by Robert Brazza). The dances Kiwanzenza & Tchaku Libonas, who were already "stolen" by all bands (Quartier Latin, Wenge BCBG and Wenge Maison Mere) took Kinshasa and a big part of Africa by storm. There was a concert at La Madeleine and a little planned towards the end, who never came and resulted in a conflict within the band who were fed to wait.

The Maison Mere wasn't sleeping when JB Mpiana released TH and they decided to support Adricha Tipo Tipo with his album H.T., which was made to fight JB's album. It's release created alot buzz and also controversy because of it's album title. The album had several guest-stars Werrason, King Kester Emeneya, Tabu Ley, Bill Clinton Kalonji, Roi Babel and Manda Chante.

The old veterans of Zaiko, Papa Wemba, Bozi Boziana, Evoloko and Gina Efonge, who reunited in 1998 together for an album Grand Job. Decided to record a new one, after some criticism that Grand Job wasn't well promoted and quickly recorded. They also invited big maestro Pepe Felly Manuaku, which made them give the album title +1.

General Defao, who fired his whole band after touring in USA, recorded his a solo album with session musicians. The came out in the first days of september 2000. It was well received, while he didn't even promote it through concerts. The album was Defao's last succesful album and start of problems. I still not understand why he didn't return to Kinshasa immediatly to boost his succes.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 20:39 by Mfumu Vata »

Mopao195 #1 on: May 23, 2021, 21:21

• MM
    • View Profile

CM PRINCE #2 on: May 23, 2021, 21:30

• View Profile
What about force de frappe ?
That came out in late 2000 like most Koffi releases back then he would often release towards the end of the year.

Grandpretre #3 on: May 24, 2021, 02:44

• View Profile
Why def fired his musician? Montana especially

242 #4 on: May 24, 2021, 03:11

• View Profile
What about Embargo by Patrouille des Stars , it dropped in the beginning of September 2000 and they were nominated in the Kota Awards ?

Mfumu Vata #5 on: May 24, 2021, 13:09

• View Profile
To be fair. I didn't knew Patrouilles des Stars back then and also didn't hear any of their songs back then on the few parties of people from Brazzaville in Paris where I was invited. They were mostly putting music from DRC and Extra Musica, their traditional music, Theo Blaise Konkou & Pamelo Mounka being the only of their coutry that they were putting. I think that themselves also didn't knew about them. I also don't remember to having heard them on Africa N1. I discovered Patrouilles des Stars very late,  in 2011 when a friend of my who's from Brazzaville, posted a videos on facebook about a beef going on against Roga Roga . It's from there that I started to do some research on them. In the same period, I learned that Dede Djascko, who sung on Fally's Droit Chemin and many G-5 albums, also used to be with them, through an interview he made with Addy Londole to promote his album.

BienMat23 #6 on: May 24, 2021, 16:21

• View Profile
What about Embargo by Patrouille des Stars , it dropped in the beginning of September 2000 and they were nominated in the Kota Awards ?
Fire album one of my all time faves like @Manzambi said I didn’t hear them for a while but when I listened to it I haven’t stopped, definitely in the debate for top 3 albums of 2000

Mfumu Vata #7 on: May 25, 2021, 00:02

• View Profile
Fire album one of my all time faves like @Manzambi said I didn’t hear them for a while but when I listened to it I haven’t stopped, definitely in the debate for top 3 albums of 2000

lol are you serious ? Maybe for Brazzaville-albums. 2000 had also albums like A La Une, Force de Frappe & Jeu Muke who all came out towards the end of 2000.

Mfumu Vata #8 on: May 25, 2021, 00:07

• View Profile
Why def fired his musician? Montana especially

Bandmembers refused to go with him to Uganda, because they feared that it would create problems for them (Congo was back then in war against Rwanda and Uganda who supported the rebel-groups RCD of Wamba dia Wamba & MLC of Jean Pierre Bemba), since that they all saw how people were burned on the streets and killed in Kinshasa when the war started. General Defao was furious that they were refusing, so at some point he was fed up and decided to fire the whole band when they came for a concert in Laussane. After it he went to France for a few concerts with session musicians, the recordings of Nessy de London and went immediatly to Uganda for concerts joined by Big Stars-members who were staying in Nairobi at that time (the of Mbetenge, Tshotsholi and co). The most of the musicians who were fired went to settle to UK (because they had still the visa in their passeports), some went to the US, Kabose already left a few weeks before and joined Anti Choc and Montana went to record his own album before joining Koffi's Quartier Latin.

masatomo #9 on: May 25, 2021, 21:19

• View Profile
TH who came out somewhere in June 2000. It was JB Mpiana's second album. The album was a huge succes with songs like 48 Heures Gecoco, Walay Danico, Grace a Toi Germain, Education, Kinshasa, Sultan de Bruneil Kaskinto, etc. JB Mpiana would receive several prices with this album in Congo (Best Star of the year, best singer of the year,  best album of the year, best song of the year &  best songwriter of the year)

In July 2000, King Kester Emeneya finally released his long awaited solo album Longue Histoire. The album was able to get drop Magic Sytem's 1er Gaou out of number one spot at the Kilimadjaro music charts of Radio Africa N1 (presented by Robert Brazza). The dances Kiwanzenza & Tchaku Libonas, who were already "stolen" by all bands (Quartier Latin, Wenge BCBG and Wenge Maison Mere) took Kinshasa and a big part of Africa by storm. There was a concert at La Madeleine and a little planned towards the end, who never came and resulted in a conflict within the band who were fed to wait.

The Maison Mere wasn't sleeping when JB Mpiana released TH and they decided to support Adricha Tipo Tipo with his album H.T., which was made to fight JB's album. It's release created alot buzz and also controversy because of it's album title. The album had several guest-stars Werrason, King Kester Emeneya, Tabu Ley, Bill Clinton Kalonji, Roi Babel and Manda Chante.

The old veterans of Zaiko, Papa Wemba, Bozi Boziana, Evoloko and Gina Efonge, who reunited in 1998 together for an album Grand Job. Decided to record a new one, after some criticism that Grand Job wasn't well promoted and quickly recorded. They also invited big maestro Pepe Felly Manuaku, which made them give the album title +1.

General Defao, who fired his whole band after touring in USA, recorded his a solo album with session musicians. The came out in the first days of september 2000. It was well received, while he didn't even promote it through concerts. The album was Defao's last succesful album and start of problems. I still not understand why he didn't return to Kinshasa immediatly to boost his succes.

I always thought Longue Histoire was released in June 2000. I saw the booklet of Mboka Mboka (released in May 1998) and Longue Histoire was already announced back then. Why it took Emeneya so long to record and release that album ? Was it a label issue ? 

Mfumu Vata #10 on: May 26, 2021, 01:37

• View Profile
In the same period of TH anyways. It was supposed to come out in 1999. But when he released the EP "Never Again Plus, Plus Jamais" (which had a song dedicated to the late Pepe Kalle, one for Congo who was in war and a remix of his Viva La Musica hit Teint de Bronze), recordlabels started to doubt because he was asking big money for the album, while the EP flopped very hard.So he and his close friends (JDK Decor and co) went to record Longue Histoire on their own fees in Kinshasa. The album had first 10 song, then 13 songs with the time going the demand from donors were growing and Emeneya couldn't reject, because he needed that money and it suited also well to its album-title. Then when he wanted to release the album towards start of 2000, he received a phone-call in Kinshasa that their was a new dance (Tchaku Libondas) who was hot in Kinshasa at the same time Didi Kinuani and his friends wanted a song dedicated to Bana Lunda, the friends they lost when looking a for a better life in at that time  dangerous diamond-province of Angola and hard time they had before coming rich (the song was called Basali Nteke) and another song next to it, which made it 17 songs in total. When Emeneya arrived in Kinshasa they added Tchaku Libondas next to animations also Bill Clinton's new cri at that time (Bana bazo lia te). Drummer Signora Depatra Uomo asked if Emeneya couldn't make a remix of the Victoria Eleison Anthem of 1982, which made them record But na Filet, it wasadapted to their team of 2000 and the cri's of atalaku's. When finally finishing recording Longue Histoire in Kinshasa, he went to the US with Guy Moller and Mbuta Bass, Zoe Bella. But for whatever reasons, Emeneya decided to abandon them in New York, while they had to tour there for some months and went directly to Paris. Guy Moller, Zoe Bella and Mbuta Bass were sent away from their hotels when the tour-promoter discovered that Emeneya ran away and they had to sleep for 2 days on the streets. Emeneya mixed Longue Histoire in Paris and released the album later in two volumes (volume 1 & volume 2). He made some big money, but after a few months his friend JDK Decor ran away with a part of the money, which made him not being able to promote the album more after the succes. JDK became suddenly close to Papa Wemba and became his concertpromoter for his event at Bercy. Not long after that more problems occured in his band and became worser when Guy Moller and Zoe rejoined in the band in Kenya with also a conflict with his friend Mambo de Panama when arriving in Kinshasa with the band, after that Victoria Eleison spent like 8 or 6 months in Kenya (they had a hard time there).

The original version of But na Filet. It was played since Victoria Eleison's birth in 1982 at the start of their concerts and in 1984 released on disc and each year adapted in concerts with new cri's.

Emeneya in Kinshasa when recording Longue Histoire in 1999 with the new dance Kiwanzenza. The dance Tchaku Libondas wasn't arrived yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:55 by Mfumu Vata »

BienMat23 #11 on: May 26, 2021, 01:40

• View Profile

lol are you serious ? Maybe for Brazzaville-albums. 2000 had also albums like A La Une, Force de Frappe & Jeu Muke who all came out towards the end of 2000.
I’m not saying it’s definitely top 3 I’m just saying that based on quality it can be in that conversation because it’s not crazy to compare it to some of those top albums.

Wenge1995 #12 on: May 26, 2021, 07:12

• View Profile
In the same period of TH anyways. It was supposed to come out in 1999. But when he released the EP "Never Again Plus, Plus Jamais" (which had a song dedicated to the late Pepe Kalle, one for Congo who was in war and a remix of his Viva La Musica hit Teint de Bronze), recordlabels started to doubt because he was asking big money for the album, while the EP flopped very hard.So he and his close friends (JDK Decor and co) went to record Longue Histoire on their own fees in Kinshasa. The album had first 10 song, then 13 songs with the time going the demand from donors were growing and Emeneya couldn't reject, because he needed that money and it suited also well to its album-title. Then when he wanted to release the album towards start of 2000, he received a phone-call in Kinshasa that their was a new dance (Tchaku Libondas) who was hot in Kinshasa at the same time Didi Kinuani and his friends wanted a song dedicated to Bana Lunda, the friends they lost when looking a for a better life in at that time  dangerous diamond-province of Angola and hard time they had before coming rich (the song was called Basali Nteke) and another song next to it, which made it 17 songs in total. When Emeneya arrived in Kinshasa they added Tchaku Libondas next to animations also Bill Clinton's new cri at that time (Bana bazo lia te). Drummer Signora Depatra Uomo asked if Emeneya couldn't make a remix of the Victoria Eleison Anthem of 1982, which made them record But na Filet, it wasadapted to their team of 2000 and the cri's of atalaku's. When finally finishing recording Longue Histoire in Kinshasa, he went to the US with Guy Moller and Mbuta Bass, Zoe Bella. But for whatever reasons, Emeneya decided to abandon them in New York, while they had to tour there for some months and went directly to Paris. Guy Moller, Zoe Bella and Mbuta Bass were sent away from their hotels when the tour-promoter discovered that Emeneya ran away and they had to sleep for 2 days on the streets. Emeneya mixed Longue Histoire in Paris and released the album later in two volumes (volume 1 & volume 2). He made some big money, but after a few months his friend JDK Decor ran away with a part of the money, which made him not being able to promote the album more after the succes. JDK became suddenly close to Papa Wemba and became his concertpromoter for his event at Bercy. Not long after that more problems occured in his band and became worser when Guy Moller and Zoe rejoined in the band in Kenya with also a conflict with his friend Mambo de Panama when arriving in Kinshasa with the band, after that Victoria Eleison spent like 8 or 6 months in Kenya (they had a hard time there).

The original version of But na Filet. It was played since Victoria Eleison's birth in 1982 at the start of their concerts and in 1984 released on disc and each year adapted in concerts with new cri's.

Emeneya in Kinshasa when recording Longue Histoire in 1999 with the new dance Kiwanzenza. The dance Tchaku Libondas wasn't arrived yet.

It's the trip to NY that I struggle to understand, why would he just abandon Guy Moller and others like that? He fell out with Mambo De Panama because he didn't appreciate how Kester was disrespecting his group and spending months in Europe. I feel like Kester stop taking his career seriously, because a lot of bad mistakes he was making

Mfumu Vata #13 on: May 26, 2021, 10:53

• View Profile
I think that Emeneya just wanted to copy what Papa Wemba used to do with him, when being in his band Viva La Musica (1977-1982) and still continued to do until 2003 when he got arrested. But Emeneya not having the luck like Wemba and doing it on wrong moments.

When coming back to Kinshasa just before the release of Longue Histoire, he gave the reason that he  disagreed with the tour promoter that he only could tour with a few musicians of Kinshasa joined by them former Victoria-musicians (Huits Kilo's, Mbuji Mayi, Malembe Chant, Auguy Lutula, etc.). Saying that the whole band would soon join Guy Moller, Zoe Bella and co in the US through Kenya, which didn't happen. They went to Kenya, but the tour went wrong and Emeneya ended up by abandoning the band there for months without money, before rejoining them again after 6 months recording quickly along Mbuta Likasu and Victoria the VHS "Ba Nganga na Bango Bakufi" and after that they went to Tanzania, where they recorded the clips of Longue Histoire. But the tou didn't go well  because the tour-promoter ran away with the money, so they were forced to have some more concerts to pay some debts they had to the hotel where they were staying. At that same time tensions growed in the band, when Emeneya announced that they won't tour in Europe anymore and that they had to wait for next year. Giving the reason that if they would tour there, that they would return without cars and peannuts, because of the tour just being for 3 months. The musicians on their side thought that Emeneya not wanted to bring them to  Europe, because they were since 1998 waiting for a tour and their rivals of Nouvelle Ecriture and Quartier Latin mocking them and stealing their sidechicks with their expensive cars. Guys like Zoe Bella and Guy Moller who rejoined the band in Kenya, were also mad, because Emeneya still hadn't gave them the money, he promised to give for the tickets they paid to rejoin the band. So it made them the musicians think about forming a their own band, when arriving in Kinshasa.

When they finally arrived in Kinshasa after some concerts in Zambia and Lubumbashi. Emeneya changed his version about the cancelled tour in the US, saying that tthe our promoter used to bring ngulu's to the United States and wanted to use his band for it, which made him refuse to tour in the US (but that's not a reason to bring 3 musicians and abandon them there)Anyway, it created alot problems for the tour promoter (I don't remember his name) when Emeneya decided to not respect his contract and also for other artists who already negotiated for another tour. General Defao for example wasn't able to finish his tour, because he was stuck in Kenya, since that they embassady refused to give him visa's.

CM PRINCE #14 on: May 26, 2021, 16:44

• View Profile

I’m not saying it’s definitely top 3 I’m just saying that based on quality it can be in that conversation because it’s not crazy to compare it to some of those top albums.
You’re on your own on that one.