Author Topic: Zaiko Langa Langa/Papa Wemba  (Read 3555 times)

BrazzaBoy on: February 06, 2018, 08:40

• View Profile

Any ndekos up for a translation ? Wish there were more documentaries on these guys but this seems like an important pice of history right there

Congolitude #1 on: February 06, 2018, 12:52

• View Profile
I provide you the translation in a few moments bro

Congolitude #2 on: February 06, 2018, 13:22

• View Profile
I will try to translate the bigger one. Papa Wemba begins by saying that his father was against making music because being a musician is seen as a thug, a hemp smoker.
Before arriving in Zaiko, he was in the orchestra of a guy named Jarmin. He says Jarmin sings like Grand Kalle. At that time his father was still alive.

At that time, Wemba was still at school and it was the evening after school with the help of his mother that he left the house to go to music, she opened the window when he left and returned. When his father knew it, he made him sleep outside for a whole day.

At the age of 15/16, his father died, so he stayed with his mother, who was totally in favor of making music. Shortly after, he joined Lita Bembo's Stukas group and says that he taught Lita Bembo to sing.

Shortly thereafter, Wemba stuttered Stukas and founded Zaïko and he reveals that it is he who gave the name Langa-Langa. He says that Zaïko was a Belgian orchestra, but it was written "Zaïco". They are brothers of the Mongombe family who were the owners of this group. Bolowa Bonzakua asks him "who are the founders of Zaïko?", Wemba says there is not really "a true founder"

It was one day, he was with two brothers of the Mitcho family, Baudoin and the other I did not really hear his name. These two brothers had just come back from Europe, they came to get Wemba home and told him "Jules let's go, we go to our Tata Mwasi in Popokabaka at number 10 in the commune of Kasa-Vubu (formerly Dendale) They're coming into a house and at the back there's a band that's been rehearsing, and the two guys who were with Wemba were talking to their Tata Mwasi and out of curiosity Wemba went to the window and to start listening to the orchestra repeat and ask them "Ba ndeko nakokoka koyemba nzembo moko te?" (Brother, can I just sing a song) and they answered "yes you can there is no problem." Wemba does not remember any more the song he sang but the title is "Desespoir Jules" and the one who remembers well is Jossart.

After finishing the song, the Mitcho brothers had finished their disccusion so they took the road again and left with Wemba. Once in Molokai, one of the guys from the band who saw Papa Wembz sung came to see him in Molokai and said, "Little, I liked how you sang in the orchestra earlier, it possible that you come back tomorrow? " and this guy was D.V Moanda. The next day, Wemba returns there but we learn that the group that was repeating yesterday was dislocated and that they kept only Manuaku Waku (Wemba says that it is him who gave him the name of "Grandpa Felly") and Zaïko began from there with only Wemba and Pepe Felly.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 13:30 by Congolitude »

BrazzaBoy #3 on: February 06, 2018, 14:22

• View Profile
I really appreciate you ndeko. It can be tough being a fan of this music with every important interview being in lingala. I wish our leaders realized that our music birthed african sound and is followed on the entire continent and beyond

Manzambi94 #4 on: February 06, 2018, 16:05

• View Profile
I really appreciate you ndeko. It can be tough being a fan of this music with every important interview being in lingala. I wish our leaders realized that our music birthed african sound and is followed on the entire continent and beyond
I can understand, man try to search some sites English/Lingala or search for some Congolese people who can teach you lingala, because not many musicians know English, and they are smart yes, but do not really take in consideration English for talking to fans in East and West Africa. One of the few guys who can speak English well between artist is Koffi. But rarely uses in public interviews.

BrazzaBoy #5 on: February 06, 2018, 16:36

• View Profile
You right my brother lingala doesnt seem as complicated as learning arabic or mandarin