Author Topic: Loi or Effrakata  (Read 5471 times)

jasoncurie on: June 18, 2021, 19:34

• View Profile
Which album do you prefer ??

Jeffrey Sirjeza Sibanda #1 on: June 18, 2021, 20:04

• View Profile
Mmm thats a tough one for me as generique only fan both albums had good generiques despite being repeated on every song.

Mfumu Vata #2 on: June 18, 2021, 22:00

• View Profile
Effrakata no doubt.   

People rate Loi high because of it has Koffi's most danced generique on the album. Although it has the classic rumba's S.O.S., Phaseur, Airways and the hitsong Micko, the songs on Loi aren't on the level of his previous albums V12, Noblesse Oblige & Koweit Rive Gauche. If you compared the songs of Loi to the last three mentioned, you will see that Koffi regressed very hard on the term of the lyrics. It's like he hadn't the time to write or review the songs before recording, which is also understandable, because he toured alot because of the succes V12 and the recordings of Wake Up. Koffi Olomide didn't also introduce something new on Loi. But Loi is still a good album, but not better than Effrakata. Like when Quartier Latin released Magie, he would get strong criticism when releasing Loi, for wanting to copy Wenge and stealing their animations and not being the same Koffi of the 80s and the early 90s. Koffi would get an angry call from Werrason, who was mad that he stole Kaludji's new cri's (bayeba te somo, kubanza ya moyo) which Quartier Latin never used to animate in concerts and Marie Paul was also mad that Koffi took his cri of his atalaku Bizima (kuzana mpimpa). Koffi even talked about it on Trace TV without mentioning Werrason, when talking about the generic Loi. R.I.P. to Lebou Kabuya who played lead on this legendary generic. I will never forget his angry face in the videoclip, when having to  Koffi who was acting like a king and Koffi standing on the balcony with the dancers (the late Mireille and Kamono laughing about Sam, Lebou, Do Akongo, Babia, Champion, Suzuki and co who were making a fool of themselves).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4631lEvX

Effrakata on his side is a masterpiece. The songs like Effervescent, G.B. Gros Bébé, Logique and Washington are very poetic. Koffi also didn't only focus on subject (love) like most albums, he also about work/perseverance on the songs Rien à Signaler & Bilan and  praised himself on Suivez le Guide. The album has also like Attentat a big involvement of Quartier Latin-singers Bouro Mpela, Fally Ipupa, Lola Muana, Montana Kamenga, Michaux Chamberton, Deo Brondo, Soleil Wanga, Jordan Kusa & Jipson Butukondolo, which is normally not the case since Quartier Latin started participating on Noblesse Oblige until Loi, the singers having just vocals on 2 or 3 songs max. In Effrakata there also alot of solo guitar on rumba's (G.B. Gros Bebe, Logique, Babou & Destination), whereas on Loi you got it only on Vicky. The contribution of drummer Ile de Cambodge with his "double roulage" parition on the generics Effrakata & Génération Bercy and the sebenes of Gilba and R.A.S. brought something new. No wonder that Quartier Latin was nominated as "best group" at the Kora Awards of 2002 for this album, but seeing Makoma going away it, Nevertheless Koffi still won 4 at the edition of 2002. On Effrakata, arranger Philphe Guez gave everything, I think that it's were the best arrangements he did on a Koffi album. They started working with each other on Koweit Rive Gauche until B.E.K. (even on Quartier Latin except Danger de Mort). All songs on Effrakata were magic because of him (Choc, Effevescent, Medecin de Nuit, Robot, Babou, etc.). He even played keyboards on the two generics of the album. I wonder why Koffi never invited him for a concert in Paris to play keyboard, because they hadn't a keyboard player for Europe-concerts until 2004.

Seben_Maniac #3 on: June 19, 2021, 02:47

• View Profile
Definitely Effrakata. I think Loi is way too overrated, especially the generique. I always preferred Ultimatum over Loi despite it being a group Album

CM PRINCE #4 on: June 19, 2021, 03:03

• View Profile
I love both albums dearly but Effrakata is much better. The only advantage Loi has over Effrakata was the chorus of Sam, Modogo, Suzuki and Bouro. But everything about Effrakata was better than Loi, Loi Generique is the most famous generique of all time and if Congo were serious about royalties like in the states, UK and everwhere else than guys like Mboshi, Somono, Lebou, Champion, Binda Bass and Pathy would never have to work again in their life and could easily live off the generique from royalties because of how its on replay and so on.

masatomo #5 on: June 19, 2021, 19:49

• View Profile
Effrakata no doubt.   

People rate Loi high because of it has Koffi's most danced generique on the album. Although it has the classic rumba's S.O.S., Phaseur, Airways and the hitsong Micko, the songs on Loi aren't on the level of his previous albums V12, Noblesse Oblige & Koweit Rive Gauche. If you compared the songs of Loi to the last three mentioned, you will see that Koffi regressed very hard on the term of the lyrics. It's like he hadn't the time to write or review the songs before recording, which is also understandable, because he toured alot because of the succes V12 and the recordings of Wake Up. Koffi Olomide didn't also introduce something new on Loi. But Loi is still a good album, but not better than Effrakata. Like when Quartier Latin released Magie, he would get strong criticism when releasing Loi, for wanting to copy Wenge and stealing their animations and not being the same Koffi of the 80s and the early 90s. Koffi would get an angry call from Werrason, who was mad that he stole Kaludji's new cri's (bayeba te somo, kubanza ya moyo) which Quartier Latin never used to animate in concerts and Marie Paul was also mad that Koffi took his cri of his atalaku Bizima (kuzana mpimpa). Koffi even talked about it on Trace TV without mentioning Werrason, when talking about the generic Loi. R.I.P. to Lebou Kabuya who played lead on this legendary generic. I will never forget his angry face in the videoclip, when having to  Koffi who was acting like a king and Koffi standing on the balcony with the dancers (the late Mireille and Kamono laughing about Sam, Lebou, Do Akongo, Babia, Champion, Suzuki and co who were making a fool of themselves).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4631lEvX

Effrakata on his side is a masterpiece. The songs like Effervescent, G.B. Gros Bébé, Logique and Washington are very poetic. Koffi also didn't only focus on subject (love) like most albums, he also about work/perseverance on the songs Rien à Signaler & Bilan and  praised himself on Suivez le Guide. The album has also like Attentat a big involvement of Quartier Latin-singers Bouro Mpela, Fally Ipupa, Lola Muana, Montana Kamenga, Michaux Chamberton, Deo Brondo, Soleil Wanga, Jordan Kusa & Jipson Butukondolo, which is normally not the case since Quartier Latin started participating on Noblesse Oblige until Loi, the singers having just vocals on 2 or 3 songs max. In Effrakata there also alot of solo guitar on rumba's (G.B. Gros Bebe, Logique, Babou & Destination), whereas on Loi you got it only on Vicky. The contribution of drummer Ile de Cambodge with his "double roulage" parition on the generics Effrakata & Génération Bercy and the sebenes of Gilba and R.A.S. brought something new. No wonder that Quartier Latin was nominated as "best group" at the Kora Awards of 2002 for this album, but seeing Makoma going away it, Nevertheless Koffi still won 4 at the edition of 2002. On Effrakata, arranger Philphe Guez gave everything, I think that it's were the best arrangements he did on a Koffi album. They started working with each other on Koweit Rive Gauche until B.E.K. (even on Quartier Latin except Danger de Mort). All songs on Effrakata were magic because of him (Choc, Effevescent, Medecin de Nuit, Robot, Babou, etc.). He even played keyboards on the two generics of the album. I wonder why Koffi never invited him for a concert in Paris to play keyboard, because they hadn't a keyboard player for Europe-concerts until 2004.

Effrakata is better even thought Loi is good.
Koffi was getting strong critics after Magie ? I thought that album was very well received and a big success in Africa, Europe and USA. Maybe it was because of the electric guitar and Beevans copying Ekokota ?

Mfumu Vata #6 on: June 19, 2021, 20:06

• View Profile
Magie was a huge succes in Kinshasa, but people and the press were critizing Koffi for wanting to copy Wenge by letting Beevans animate like Ekokota and the album having agressive sebenes, losing his old Tcha-Tcho roots. I remember him having a press-conference which was like a trial, where he had to defend himself and also to explain about Schola's departure.

Jeffrey Sirjeza Sibanda #7 on: June 20, 2021, 08:21

• View Profile
Yeah true Loi generique is the most played dance song in Africa, followed by Awilo's Karolina.

SoukousFan #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:19

• View Profile
LOI is Koffi's 90s hit. Effrakata is Koffi's 2000s hit

hihihi

dany #9 on: June 22, 2021, 15:09

• Music is therapy
    • View Profile
Loi is crap, I never rated it. The album was poorly executed it had no continuity unlike his previous solo efforts, the sebene on most songs sound monotonous even the lyrically content on rumbas are somewhat shallow and vague. Loi will never compete with Effrakata as it hasn’t aged well with time.

CM PRINCE #10 on: June 22, 2021, 16:00

• View Profile
Loi is crap, I never rated it. The album was poorly executed it had no continuity unlike his previous solo efforts, the sebene on most songs sound monotonous even the lyrically content on rumbas are somewhat shallow and vague. Loi will never compete with Effrakata as it hasn’t aged well with time.
Are you serious??? First you say Sanction is a crap now Loi is crap and hasn’t aged well?? Lord what are you gonna say next

Monsieur Congo #11 on: June 22, 2021, 16:27

• View Profile
Are you serious??? First you say Sanction is a crap now Loi is crap and hasn’t aged well?? Lord what are you gonna say next
Kiekiekie he clearly doesn’t know music don’t mind him.

dany #12 on: June 22, 2021, 20:27

• Music is therapy
    • View Profile
Kiekiekie he clearly doesn’t know music don’t mind him.

Loi and Sanction are not great albums as some claim in this forum. They have some weak points as I have pointed out in my comments. You lads will just have to live with my opinion, I have listened to these albums and nothing jumps out especially Sanction, the vocals are ok but the keyboard and guitar work is poor, I will never listen to Sanction again even if they paid me. Loi will never compare to Effrakata.

Jeffrey Sirjeza Sibanda #13 on: June 22, 2021, 22:18

• View Profile
kkkkkkkkkkkkkk lol

SLK97 #14 on: June 22, 2021, 23:05

• View Profile

Lol, knowing him, he'll probably say that Solola Bien and Kibuisa Mpimpa are overrated. And the hottest take'll be rating Mayi ya Sika and Techno Malewa over both albums.