Author Topic: What happened to Franco Pépé Kalle's channel?  (Read 1855 times)

BercysFinest98 on: March 16, 2022, 07:26

• View Profile
I was looking for a good quality version of 72 Minutes De Silence by Extra Musica and it turns out that his channel is gone?

Mfumu Vata #1 on: March 16, 2022, 09:55

• View Profile
I only know that he had many songs of Syllart on his channel. It could be that Binetou Sylla the daugther of the late Ibrahima Sylla who's the now the head of Syllart Records, made the channel close by making copyright claims on videos. If I remember well, a youtube channel gets closed if more than 3 videos on the channel are reported. Franco Pépé Kalle had  separated songs of Avis de Recherche and Gardez Votre Souffle of Pepe Kalle (both produced by Syllart Records) on his channel, which may have created the bad luck of his channel being closed. It is not fair, because he started putting songs on his channel since 2010/11, Syllart wasn't on youtube yet.

Syllart made many channel being removed and videos taken down. She also took videos of Ingenieur's channel and put it on her channel, only removing the bottom side of the video to have Ingenieur name being removed from the video. Also making claims on original vinyl tracks on youtube of Dr Nico and Tabu Ley and just putting the cd-version of compilation albums on youtube.

Wenge1995 #2 on: March 16, 2022, 23:50

• View Profile
I only know that he had many songs of Syllart on his channel. It could be that Binetou Sylla the daugther of the late Ibrahima Sylla who's the now the head of Syllart Records, made the channel close by making copyright claims on videos. If I remember well, a youtube channel gets closed if more than 3 videos on the channel are reported. Franco Pépé Kalle had  separated songs of Avis de Recherche and Gardez Votre Souffle of Pepe Kalle (both produced by Syllart Records) on his channel, which may have created the bad luck of his channel being closed. It is not fair, because he started putting songs on his channel since 2010/11, Syllart wasn't on youtube yet.

Syllart made many channel being removed and videos taken down. She also took videos of Ingenieur's channel and put it on her channel, only removing the bottom side of the video to have Ingenieur name being removed from the video. Also making claims on original vinyl tracks on youtube of Dr Nico and Tabu Ley and just putting the cd-version of compilation albums on youtube.

What would be of Pepe Kalle if he never died? Would Cocktail still be successful? I feel like Delta Force got a boost, because of his passing. Could he actually compete against QL, Wenge, and Wemba?

Franco Pepe Kalle #3 on: March 17, 2022, 02:13

• View Profile
Hello guys. What Mfumu said is true. It was Binetou Sylla who took my channel. I had tons of songs that I wanted to promote such as songs of Koffi Olomide, Papa Wemba, Extra Musica, Franco, Pepe Kalle, and others. I wanted people to know their music. But indeed Binetou Sylla was behind shutting my channel down due "Copyright" strikes even I stated the artist, the composer, the song and the photo of that artist. Funny enough I am Facebook friends with her too. I used to talk her quite a bit and I would even show the songs of those artists that her father produced. I always gave respect to those I promoted. But then again, business is business.

That is what happened.

Mfumu Vata #4 on: March 17, 2022, 08:52

• View Profile

What would be of Pepe Kalle if he never died? Would Cocktail still be successful? I feel like Delta Force got a boost, because of his passing. Could he actually compete against QL, Wenge, and Wemba?

I am not a witchdoctor to know what would be if Pepe Kalle never would die, lol.

Delta Force didn't get a boost because of his death. The recruitment of new dancers and singers, created already polemic and people in Empire Bakuba being unhappy. The press claiming that Pepe Kalle was about to kill Empire Bakuba, etc. He was invited by Club des Stars to react to all questions journalists and fans had about the recruitment of those making part of Delta Force, but he didn't show up. The singers would make a short appearance with Djuna as dancers at Stade des Martyrs for the "Tokufa Pona Congo-event".

Of course he could compete against Wenge, Wemba and QL. In the period of 1992-1995  they were on the top with the release of albums Diviser par Deux, Mamie Music Clarification, Maman Mapassa and Gardez Votre Souffle. Djuna Mumbafu who upgraded his game, they newly recruited Lofombo who brought something new with his way of playing bass, solist Rolls Papillion, etc. Empire Bakuba was largely superior to Quartier Latin who was new in the game.  Papa Wemba was a little bit weak back then because being more focused on world-music, the split of Viva La Musica that made him  to rely on Reddy and Stino's succes, despite the succes of Foridoles.

Manzambi94 #5 on: March 17, 2022, 18:14

• View Profile

I am not a witchdoctor to know what would be if Pepe Kalle never would die, lol.

Delta Force didn't get a boost because of his death. The recruitment of new dancers and singers, created already polemic and people in Empire Bakuba being unhappy. The press claiming that Pepe Kalle was about to kill Empire Bakuba, etc. He was invited by Club des Stars to react to all questions journalists and fans had about the recruitment of those making part of Delta Force, but he didn't show up. The singers would make a short appearance with Djuna as dancers at Stade des Martyrs for the "Tokufa Pona Congo-event".

Of course he could compete against Wenge, Wemba and QL. In the period of 1992-1995  they were on the top with the release of albums Diviser par Deux, Mamie Music Clarification, Maman Mapassa and Gardez Votre Souffle. Djuna Mumbafu who upgraded his game, they newly recruited Lofombo who brought something new with his way of playing bass, solist Rolls Papillion, etc. Empire Bakuba was largely superior to Quartier Latin who was new in the game.  Papa Wemba was a little bit weak back then because being more focused on world-music, the split of Viva La Musica that made him  to rely on Reddy and Stino's succes, despite the succes of Foridoles.
I always hear Lofombo mentioned in the bassism section but I want to know why, because I am not keen enough to distinguish from different type of bassist the way I am to distinguish the guitar licks what has Lofombo brought of special, I don't know if it was him I think not but I remember a guy probably from Maison Mere in a Ado Yuhe's or Comgomikili in general interview who said that he brought a new way to play bass, which was to play it like a guitar can't remember his name

Mfumu Vata #6 on: March 17, 2022, 22:30

• View Profile
Aaah oyebi Mimiche Bass (RIP) te

I don't know what problem Mimiche Bass had with Lofombo, but in the few interviews he made, he was always ignoring him or minimise him, while he used to be one of his many understudies. I don't if Werrason thought WMM members to ignore and minimise their former mentors, because I saw that it is often the case with members of the 1st Maison Mere generation (Bill, Ferre, Lacoste, Adjani,..).

When Lofombo left Dymanique Asha, Mimiche was the one who replaced him. When Shora Mbemba's band split, he joined the camp of those who decided to leave Shora Mbemba. They recruited him, because he knew Lofombo's style and Lofombo often always participated in albums of his big brother Shora Mbemba. The same Mimiche Bass replaced Lofombo in Empire Bakuba when he left with Djuna Mumbafu and the guys of Delta Force after Pepe Kalle's death.

Mimiche Bass said that Lofombo was only playing one string and him playing bass like kingongolo, which was false. Yes, Lofombo was often playing one string like many bass-players of that time, since that it was a trend set by Oncle Bapius of Zaiko Langa Langa. But it was Lofombo who brought that style letting the bass talk during the sebene, following the voice of atalaku's, etc. Mimiche was just the person who copied that style. But he butcouldn't really impose it in Wenge, because of Flamme Kapaya not liking it, wanting to have less bass in sebenes.

With playing bass with one string I mean this (Lofombo didn't play on this show, but just to let you hear what I mean)

Lofombo's way of playing sebene (I just that I didn't Empire follow much, not knowing titles of many songs, so I did not pick the best songs where he really exposed his style). Try to listen the whole tracks

from 4:20 min (Espe Bass played this in Freddy Nelson and Motingia Tunga in one of the Zaiko tracks)

Wenge1995 #7 on: March 18, 2022, 00:50

• View Profile

I don't know what problem Mimiche Bass had with Lofombo, but in the few interviews he made, he was always ignoring him or minimise him, while he used to be one of his many understudies. I don't if Werrason thought WMM members to ignore and minimise their former mentors, because I saw that it is often the case with members of the 1st Maison Mere generation (Bill, Ferre, Lacoste, Adjani,..).

When Lofombo left Dymanique Asha, Mimiche was the one who replaced him. When Shora Mbemba's band split, he joined the camp of those who decided to leave Shora Mbemba. They recruited him, because he knew Lofombo's style and Lofombo often always participated in albums of his big brother Shora Mbemba. The same Mimiche Bass replaced Lofombo in Empire Bakuba when he left with Djuna Mumbafu and the guys of Delta Force after Pepe Kalle's death.

Mimiche Bass said that Lofombo was only playing one string and him playing bass like kingongolo, which was false. Yes, Lofombo was often playing one string like many bass-players of that time, since that it was a trend set by Oncle Bapius of Zaiko Langa Langa. But it was Lofombo who brought that style letting the bass talk during the sebene, following the voice of atalaku's, etc. Mimiche was just the person who copied that style. But he butcouldn't really impose it in Wenge, because of Flamme Kapaya not liking it, wanting to have less bass in sebenes.

With playing bass with one string I mean this (Lofombo didn't play on this show, but just to let you hear what I mean)

Lofombo's way of playing sebene (I just that I didn't Empire follow much, not knowing titles of many songs, so I did not pick the best songs where he really exposed his style). Try to listen the whole tracks

from 4:20 min (Espe Bass played this in Freddy Nelson and Motingia Tunga in one of the Zaiko tracks)

That's crazy that Flamme of all people didn't like Lofombo's style of bass, why? Because he wants the attention mostly on his solos or does he find that basslines too distracting. It seems like Japonais and Burkina Faso didn't mind

Mfumu Vata #8 on: March 18, 2022, 08:52

• View Profile
It's not that he didn't like Lofombo. Flamme Kapaya wanted to mantain Wenge 4x4's style of having not to much bass. Altough Wenge 4x4 was a band to dance, they didn't  have the same basslines like Empire Bakuba and Zaiko. Didier Masela was more into Pinos of Viva La Musica's line, which was less having bass. Sometimes he would also mix a little bit with Oncle Bapius's style. But it was not that he was playing alot of demonstrations. That's also why some people were calling him a faux-bassist. Because the 90s was an era were most bass players used to play with crazy bassline partitions.

Michel Bass was before joining Wenge Maison Mere used to play like Lofombo. When he was about to join Wenge Maison Mere as Mimiche's back up, he rehearsed some  weeks with Flamme in private, who required him to abandon Lofombo's style and play bass with less bassline paritions.

Manzambi94 #9 on: March 19, 2022, 12:25

• View Profile

Ooooh so that was the poor Mimiche Bass I see, it is true now that I think about it WMMM never had aggressive basses in the Kapaya era the only aggressive bass that I can think of is the Zenga Luketo Song dven tho Batandu/BaJojgo Folklore style Is built on traditional instruments and bass, anyway, I will watch the videos and listening.to the songs you have posted carefully and then after a few days I will make my commentary, I want to be more knowledgeable of bassists the way I am of guitarists