Author Topic: Booklet; Bozi Boziana - Les Réfoules de Schengen (1997)  (Read 699 times)

Mfumu Vata on: June 03, 2023, 20:10

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 20:15 by Mfumu Vata »

Mfumu Vata #1 on: June 03, 2023, 20:14

• View Profile
Seeing Rigo Makengo giving Djonolo special thanks next to Rigo Star and Nene Tchakou makes me even suspect him more for being the original author of the Nemiala de Berlin, Ba Ngambo ya la Vie, Les Refoules de Schengen and Vendredi Noir. The arrangement of the songs and way of singing in these songs were totally his style.

Drumstar98 #2 on: June 03, 2023, 21:03

• View Profile
Seeing Rigo Makengo giving Djonolo special thanks next to Rigo Star and Nene Tchakou makes me even suspect him more for being the original author of the Nemiala de Berlin, Ba Ngambo ya la Vie, Les Refoules de Schengen and Vendredi Noir. The arrangement of the songs and way of singing in these songs were totally his style.

Thanks for posting the booklet, I suspect the same thing as you described the songs were written in Djo Nolo, on another note the CD kind of reminds me of the V12 CD.

Mfumu Vata #3 on: June 04, 2023, 00:00

• View Profile
Its a typical mid-90s booklet of African artists.

I feel like 5/4 songs in this album being fillers. Koffi Olomidé is an artist who needs to be congratulated because of recording solo-album of 10, 11 & 12 songs for a long period without having fillers in it. I wonder if it was really Bozi's intention to record a solo album in this period. Bana Saint Gabriel is a better album.  It was in this period that Interpol of Kofi Alibaba, Sadico, Trocadero and Micha Brown got created right ? Their album interpellation was a succes in Europe but now its impossible to find it back.

Its a shame that Bozi didn't let his whole band participate to his album and the following one. This would have more fire if he brought Lapino instead of punishing him. It was from here that he wasn't brining the whole band anymore to Europe and mostly bringing ngulu's. In the credits there are only Deo Brando, Janvier Okota, Mi-Flo and Betty Biss as bandmembers the rest being session artists. Anyway, its only these day that I'm really paying attention to his albums of the 1990s. Back in the days I only focused on la carré magique, Big Stars, El Paris, Nouvelle Generation and a little bit Empire.

Drumstar98 #4 on: June 04, 2023, 00:33

• View Profile

I feel like 5/4 songs in this album being fillers. Koffi Olomidé is an artist who needs to be congratulated because of recording solo-album of 10, 11 & 12 songs for a long period without having fillers in it. I wonder if it was really Bozi's intention to record a solo album in this period. Bana Saint Gabriel is a better album.  It was in this period that Interpol of Kofi Alibaba, Sadico, Trocadero and Micha Brown got created right ? Their album interpellation was a succes in Europe but now its impossible to find it back.

Its a shame that Bozi didn't let his whole band participate to his album and the following one. This would have more fire if he brought Lapino instead of punishing him. It was from here that he wasn't brining the whole band anymore to Europe and mostly bringing ngulu's. In the credits there are only Deo Brando, Janvier Okota, Mi-Flo and Betty Biss as bandmembers the rest being session artists. Anyway, its only these day that I'm really paying attention to his albums of the 1990s. Back in the days I only focused on la carré magique, Big Stars, El Paris, Nouvelle Generation and a little bit Empire.

Interpol was created back in 1996. That period Koffi Alibaba, Micha Brown, and Trocadero had already left Anti Choc it's a shame that the files of their next they recorded at M'eko were deleted and I hope someone uploads Interpellation gets uploaded along with the videoclips. It's shame that leadership issues have crumbled the band Sadiko and Trocadero ended joining Zaiko Langa Langa, Micha Brown travelled and settled in Angola he played on Lutchiana Mobulu's album "Balayage."

It was also Deo Brondo last album, I think after the recording and release of the album is when Bozi returned  because I watched an interview of Deo Brondo whether with Papy Gene or Marcel Landu of Sekele. He said that he was abandoned in Kenya which led him to join Zaiko Langa Langa. From then Bozi bought Lady Miyembe, Bello Bongo, the keyboard player (I don't know his name), and drummer Charly and the ngulu's.

In my opinion I think "Les Refoules De Schengen" and "Bana Saint Gaberial" were last good albums I never paid to the albums he released after those two because I felt he lost the great stars of his group such as (Scola Miel, Koffi Alibaba) not mention the passing of late Wally Ngonda and late Fifi Mofude.

Mfumu Vata #5 on: June 04, 2023, 01:06

• View Profile
According Koffi Alibaba it was that the album was finished and Rigo Makengo who had to produce it listening to it, saying that their solist was weak and that they had to correct some lines. But when coming back to the studio Meko all files already being erased by the sound engineer, which is really sad. In an interview Koffi Alibaba did with Mbuta Likasu he said that they had the chance to record a second album with label that did their first album. But the label only sending them 10 visa’s to record a new album in Europe, them refusing wanting to bring the whole band they had in Kinshasa. Thinking about it, it was a huge mistake by missing that opportunity. They had success in concerts, even Wenge Musica started to respect them and mentioning them interviews saying that they are the only band in Kinshasa next to them to have succes (just to piss Wenge El Paris off).

Position Eyebani was not bad. It was a good album although being recorded in Kinshasa. Film Ebaluki (1999) which Bozi did with Theo Mbala, Michaux Chamberton, Lokombe, Coreen Polystar was also good. I had the album Jeu Muke (2000) the past years often on repeat.There’s no Bozi that I listened so much like that one.  It's a shame that the two albums weren’t well promoted.

SLK97 #6 on: June 04, 2023, 01:10

• View Profile

Les Refoules de Schengen was a good album, I didn't think there was any filler. I get what you mean though; the last three tracks kind of felt out of place on the album, but despite the lack of guitar (apart from half of Mina Plaisir), they didn't feel rushed. Michel Lorenz put a lot of effort onto these songs. Maybe Bozi understood that the album slowed down a bit, because Philippe Guez did all of Bana Saint Gabriel and it's considered to be one of his classic albums.

Longbluesquid #7 on: June 04, 2023, 02:21

• View Profile

Mfumu Vata #8 on: June 04, 2023, 02:22

• View Profile
The album is on YouTube and all digital platforms

Drumstar98 #9 on: June 04, 2023, 09:19

• View Profile
According Koffi Alibaba it was that the album was finished and Rigo Makengo who had to produce it listening to it, saying that their solist was weak and that they had to correct some lines. But when coming back to the studio Meko all files already being erased by the sound engineer, which is really sad. In an interview Koffi Alibaba did with Mbuta Likasu he said that they had the chance to record a second album with label that did their first album. But the label only sending them 10 visa’s to record a new album in Europe, them refusing wanting to bring the whole band they had in Kinshasa. Thinking about it, it was a huge mistake by missing that opportunity. They had success in concerts, even Wenge Musica started to respect them and mentioning them interviews saying that they are the only band in Kinshasa next to them to have succes (just to piss Wenge El Paris off).

Position Eyebani was not bad. It was a good album although being recorded in Kinshasa. Film Ebaluki (1999) which Bozi did with Theo Mbala, Michaux Chamberton, Lokombe, Coreen Polystar was also good. I had the album Jeu Muke (2000) the past years often on repeat.There’s no Bozi that I listened so much like that one.  It's a shame that the two albums weren’t well promoted.

A great opportunity missed sadly.