Author Topic: The economics of Congolese music  (Read 3201 times)

Kanda South Africa on: May 23, 2017, 14:02

• View Profile

When I saw the inside of the home that Kakol and Linda live in, it did not strike me as being of a standard one would expect from such a prominent musician and long-serving member of WMM. Some may say Kakol is just a modest man, but I doubt that very much.

This made me interested in exactly how much each member of a prominent band like QL, WMM, WBCBG earns.

From the big guys themselves all the way to the dancers. Are they paid per gig or do they have contract that pay a fixed amount for a certain period.

I know from previous posts that major artists sign contracts with beer companies to be "brand ambassadors", which may entail penning a generique in praise of that beer, and that this is a huge source of income for the artists concerned.

I just wonder how much share of this booty would end up in the hands of someone like Brigade/Bibicia/Zambrotta etc.

I would also like to know what would be the average price of concert ticket for one of those leading bands in Kinshasa (not overseas)

Manzambi94 #1 on: May 23, 2017, 19:46

• View Profile
I don't know about the money, but except Fally, Koffi and JB. The leaders don't give any contract

archos #2 on: May 23, 2017, 20:11

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
officially there are three bands in drc who pay on regular basis,quartier latin,cultura and f victeam band
cultura and quartier latin  on monthly basis(unless on some individual cases the humor of the boss goes against one  or two members)
i dont know if it still the case but quartier latin used to have contracts while on cultura's side wazekwa opened account for his 45 employees who receive their money on account each month(even though sometimes he misses out when away for too long)
f victeam are paid at every concert in general
other groups either have the category of chefs who are granted something every month or the whole first team are paid once in a while (like them employees say,when the boss is too happy)
 most of the paid musicians earn max 500 dollars a month
the average price for a concert has dropped in the last two years  in the past musicians played 50 dollars concerts for fun,now even the top ones are more around 30 40 or some  still go for 50 100 with one rich donor paying loads of tickets for them to offer to people just so that hall is filled

Jdog #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:22

• View Profile
Getting payed after every concert is nice when you're actually participating in the concerts cause there's many members of those groups who didn't even go abroad so they miss out on the revenue from the concerts.
Or moto asala le monde eza yo Nzambe tata, Kita okata po mokili trop matata, kata- Fally Ipupa

Kanda South Africa #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:03

• View Profile
I just wonder if the other band members are being fairly compensated for their hard work. How can you be buying Bentley and Porsche when your employees can barely make ends meet, or get paid when you are feeling generous. No wonder Papy Kakol cant even afford a decent house furniture never mind a house. We cant be enslaved by the white men and the black men too.

Manzambi94 #5 on: May 24, 2017, 14:06

• View Profile
I just wonder if the other band members are being fairly compensated for their hard work. How can you be buying Bentley and Porsche when your employees can barely make ends meet, or get paid when you are feeling generous. No wonder Papy Kakol cant even afford a decent house furniture never mind a house. We cant be enslaved by the white men and the black men too.
Is not about white or black enslavement, it is about respect, I mean like for Werra the guy has an unlimited amount of cars houses and so on while on the band he barely sings, since the beginning Werra vocals wasn't that special and at the time Ferré, Celeo, Bill was struggling for living.