Author Topic: The Brutal Death of Vocal Balance & Baritone singers (article)  (Read 5976 times)

NEWSIDE96 on: August 13, 2015, 14:45

• View Profile
Introduction:

Modern day music in Congo has been vastly which is completely acceptable as things in the world change, on a positive note there has been good improvements more accessibility with receiving music easier, new sounds coming of new machines (technology upgrade) and much more freedom concerning artists leaving and create their own bands which is progressive much more younger leaders.
Although there has been positives of many kinds I believe traditional Congolese music whether it would be Soukous, 4/4 or Rumba's I strongly believe there has been a death massive death as important criteria's has been abolished and abandoned.

Main Points:

Balance: Vocal arrangements has been attacked and changed in this decade. Why I think this important to state because it obvious without balance life would be strange in life itself there's ups and downs, in football there is a balance also (Goalkeeper, defence, midfield, attack), let's take deeper look in midfield Defensive midfielder, deep-lying play-maker, box to box midfielder, right or left midfielder, attack play-maker and no. 10's, each department plays a significant role in football especially in midfield each of the departments decide and dictates a approach of  a team as it balance out whether the team will attack or defend, now my point is from the late 2000's there has a massive disorder with vocal arrangements and balance of chorus and hooks, I'll give an example of the past group like Quartier Latin had 2nd voiced singers in Modogo and Suzuki, mid-point voiced singer in Sam Tshintu and 1st/Tenorist in Geco Mpela and late Chokoro a perfect balance of voices you get the 2nd voice, mid-point and 1st voice this makes hooks and chorus more audible as voice as a whole are stronger and clear plus each member brings a different flavour to the table.

The Death: Currently there is a death in that department of balance, many groups use too many mid-point singers and 1st voice singers this can be seen in BCBG choruses are too soft there is no deep powerful voice being exploited, I'll give an example a team like Arsenal or Barcelona often criticized for not having a complete radical defensive midfielder but rather a deep-lying playmaker to play in that role this is seen Arteta or Busquets they are not robust or too defensive (proper defensive are oftenly benched example Flamini or Song) similarly this is seen Congolese music somebody like Kibens or JDL in my opinion are mid-point singers even they are considered 2nd voice well they are 2nd lighted voiced singers I don't think they are good enough or equipped to play the role of the 2nd voice in choruses. Same in Fally group choruses are too mellow they are not strong.

The Death of the 2nd Voice: This is something noticed after watching most groups of today 2nd voiced singers are not exploited enough once again look at the past how much quality robust 2nd voiced singers existed: (RIP) Madilu, Pepe Kalle and King Kester Emeneya. Reddy Amisi, Modogo Abrambwa, Suzuki,  Blaise Bula and Serge Mabiala proper robust strong second voiced singers (heavy heavy voice) I believe this type of voices are lacking in Congolese music strongly, I believe this role has been replaced with light second voiced singers like: Kibens, Cappuccino (in his Maison Mere days), Arabe Youssouf and many others who cannot sing to deeply as others. apart from Fabregas there are no real stars that 2nd voiced: Fally, Ferre, Heritier, Brigade, Chai and many others are first voiced.

Leaders Have no Comprehension: I believe group leaders are to blame for not having deep Awareness for each department and for overlooking 1st voice and mid-point singers. Midpoint singers are good and it is rare nowadays to get versatile midpoint singers I can only name a few Vibration, Echappe, Eboa-Lotin (although his voice can't go to deep) they can do it very well but not all like Nicodeme in my opinion his not a reliable 2nd voiced singer, I'll give an example in BCBG since they lost Blaise Bula and Richard Mukena there has been a big void and Kibens and JDL can't cover it why I'm stating them because they are so privileged whilst singers like Abel de Charmes, Atshuda or Sakoko (partly) are benched and not exploited enough because they are able to bring that balance and strong voice in choruses. Leaders like Werrason and the late Kester are to blame also Victoria has too much 1st singers although they have quality 2nd voiced singers but they let 1st dominate too much.

To finish off I think there has to be a professional arranger to cite this problems and also to listen past music to get a sense of how much balance are being destroyed plus Second voiced singers have to be used more frequently and some need to improve e.g. Fabregas he can sing 2nd voice very well listen to him covering Deplik he does it very welll but now he chooses to sing weirdly too fast and it's like he mumbles and another problem 2nd voiced trying to sing on a higher pitch no stay low this is seen Koffi he was good natural calm singer he either shouts (EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH), mumbles to quick or talks or speak sing he is a legend but he needs to improve although his done a lot in music be his role model he needs to leave good legacy especially in current day.

Thank you I google translated from french to english if you don't understand what I mean please feel free to comment also share views I'm happy to here what you have to say thank you very much (Couldn't wrap my thoughts too highly but I hope you understand what I'm trying to convey thank you)   :)

Jdog #1 on: August 14, 2015, 20:25

• View Profile
Abel de Charme can do a chorus very good listen to Djiki Djiki and Excess d amour and in Arsenal Fally had a good chorus but in Libre Parcours it wasn't that good. Fally has a singer Dady Masudi who is a dert good second voice singer and he should be used in chorus more often and that might help the chorus.
Or moto asala le monde eza yo Nzambe tata, Kita okata po mokili trop matata, kata- Fally Ipupa

NEWSIDE96 #2 on: August 14, 2015, 20:33

• View Profile
Abel de Charme can do a chorus very good listen to Djiki Djiki and Excess d amour and in Arsenal Fally had a good chorus but in Libre Parcours it wasn't that good. Fally has a singer Dady Masudi who is a dert good second voice singer and he should be used in chorus more often and that might help the chorus.

I agree I must say that Exces D'Amour vocal is very very strong we need to hear more of that.

mampenza #3 on: August 14, 2015, 22:57

• View Profile
I feel that Adjani were the best secondo voice of the new generation (Ferrè, Bill Celeo and so on) and Abel de Charme is really good apart the title you said evcen in Mbua of Chai Ngenge he does excellent vocal 

bencuri #4 on: August 14, 2015, 23:11

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Regarding vocals, Extra Musica is a very good example for the opposite I think. They always had perfect vocals and choruses, and they still have it. I would recommend many Congolese band leaders to take them as an example. Regarding polyphonic singing, they Are maintaining a high standard. Their guitar solos might have become boring, but vocals are still 1st class. For me they are the kings when it comes to vocals and vocal arrangements.

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #5 on: August 14, 2015, 23:49

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good points. Will give my opinion tomorrow but as pointed out by jdog, Abel de Charme has bddn doing a good job in that role at BCBG and to some extent Zulema and Atshuda fall in that class too but yes in choruses BCBG has been failing to utilise musicians effectively.

Ferre has got Chico, Fally also had a good singer for that role can't remember the name of Fally's chap,can't remember if its Matsudi or something like that.

I think once these musicians begin to do more solo vocals things will change otherwise its kind of natural that tenorists steal the limelight.
LE BIG BOSS