Author Topic: Robert Ekokota  (Read 5384 times)

BrazzaBoy on: April 24, 2019, 02:19

• View Profile
Did Robert Ekokota single handedly revolutionize the Sebene as we know it today? Yay or Nay ?

Franco Pepe Kalle #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:36

• View Profile
Now you got a good debate going. I am going to say not necessarily but he allow the sebene to become more useful for bands and even older bands like Bana OK. He was the one who created some great animations that other bands would copy and his voice made other bands get animators like him. Case in point Koffi Olomide. He got a Ekokota copycat with Quartier Latin. I forgot his name but he sounded like Robert Ekokota.

BrazzaBoy #2 on: April 24, 2019, 02:46

• View Profile
Okay lets try to decipher it a bit. Lets look at sebenes before and sebenes after. What were some really good sebenes of the late 80s guys?

mvulusi96 #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:58

When you are talking about revolutionizing sebene are then talking about guitarists or atalaku's ?

mvulusi96 #4 on: April 24, 2019, 02:58

No, because Nono Monzuluku & Bebe Atalaku were the first atalaku's in the Congolese music-scene joining Zaiko in 1982. They came from Bana Odeon and came with those Humbu-animations. Then you had Ditutala of Choc Stars who came also from Bana Odeon.

Djuna Mumbafu was the man who came with a new style and he was the first atalaku who really knew how to dance. He joined Empire Bakuba in the late '80s and from then Pepe Kalle came with the concept that he know today as generique. It's also because of him that the ACMCO came with "the best atalaku of the year" category. I can understand why he used to furious for not getting a medal from mérite des arts, sciences et lettres back in 2015 when other artists used to get in Kinshasa.

Robert Ekokota had the same style of Djuna Mumbafu.

mvulusi96 #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:06

Okay lets try to decipher it a bit. Lets look at sebenes before and sebenes after. What were some really good sebenes of the late 80s guys?

Each band had is own style of playing sebene in the 80s. You had TPOK Jazz, Zaiko Langa Langa, Victoria Eleison, Choc Stars, Viva La Musica, Afrisa, Empire Bakuba, etc. It wasn't like in the late 90s when almost every band in Kinshasa had the same style of playing sebene. I don't which style you like, but if you like to dance alot then I would choice Zaiko for you.

Wenge1995 #6 on: April 24, 2019, 04:18

• View Profile
@mvulusi96

Wouldn't Somono Dolce be in that era of atalaku? He was with Zaiko before Quartier Latin.

Bundes36 #7 on: April 24, 2019, 09:21

• View Profile
Now you got a good debate going. I am going to say not necessarily but he allow the sebene to become more useful for bands and even older bands like Bana OK. He was the one who created some great animations that other bands would copy and his voice made other bands get animators like him. Case in point Koffi Olomide. He got a Ekokota copycat with Quartier Latin. I forgot his name but he sounded like Robert Ekokota

the Quartier Latin Ekokota copycat must Beinvenue Beevans Rappeur...lol.....he did everything in Ekokota style....just like Djikapela Estetique was a Titina Al Capone copycat.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:23 by Bundes36 »

Ingénieur Paulo #8 on: May 02, 2019, 10:39

• View Profile
Now you got a good debate going. I am going to say not necessarily but he allow the sebene to become more useful for bands and even older bands like Bana OK. He was the one who created some great animations that other bands would copy and his voice made other bands get animators like him. Case in point Koffi Olomide. He got a Ekokota copycat with Quartier Latin. I forgot his name but he sounded like Robert Ekokota.

That would be Bivens Bienvenue Rappason I think.

SLK97 #9 on: May 02, 2019, 14:19

• View Profile
Yeah, that is him.