Author Topic: BRIGADE THREATENS TO TAKE WERRA TO COURT  (Read 906 times)

archos on: January 04, 2024, 23:42

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/KGeniusSA/status/1743034395924304197

He is at the french copyright company,possibly to claim copyright of 'sima ekoli" which was sampled in a very viral song of a franco congolese rapper,and by his reaction was surely told that only werra could claim that song so he is sending a warning that he is disappointed but he'll fight in any possible way that he can

Franco Pepe Kalle #1 on: January 05, 2024, 00:27

• View Profile
oh boy, Werrason better be prepared. Brigade is coming after you. Oh boy, hopefully we don't hear a word from Sankara or Pi Roger. I know these men would be come and attack. Brigade better be prepared for attacks from Werrason's spokesmen if this goes through.

Localh #2 on: January 05, 2024, 03:27

• View Profile
I hope he wins the case & other animators follow because i feel like animators aren’t respected enough. I think he might go after koffi as well.

archos #3 on: January 05, 2024, 10:37

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
Yes its actually both,he's noticed that there is nothing credited to him

CM PRINCE #4 on: January 05, 2024, 12:29

• View Profile
CNN spoke about this in his interview with Ado Yuhe, how is it only now Brigade found out he isn’t credited? Atalakus aren't credited for their work. For example guys like Mboshi and Somono realistically could be millionaires off of royalties by Loi alone with how many times that’s been played, sampled etc. The music industry is a dirty business especially Congolese genre.

archos #5 on: January 05, 2024, 13:00

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
yeah like the visas aswell,they should get a certain type of visas which they never get because its already  an open path to longterm papers and if all the group has long term papers they can rebel at any moment
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 13:06 by archos »

Nkosi #6 on: January 05, 2024, 18:00

• View Profile
This is interesting: By law, when an Atalaku works under a leader, my understanding is that it is the songs that are copyrighted and not calls or vocals and these are copyrighted under the leaders. Sima ekoli was a call under a generique produced by Werrason. The owner of the generique is Werrason and many people played on it starting from Lobeso, instrumentalists and other back end guys. In this case, will the instrumentalist also stop everyone from using their sima ekoli instrument sounds?

If I'm employed under Microsoft and the company produces an innovation I worked on as an employee, do I own it? It would be good to understand how copyright works  when it comes to music, otherwise we will have a whole chain of instrumentalists also claiming they played the sound. They will go ahead and stop all band leaders from playing songs they played a role in without acknowledging them or getting permission from them....sounds awkward!

Anyway, I stand to be corrected, Im not an expert in copyright law.

Manzambi94 #7 on: January 05, 2024, 18:19

• View Profile
This is interesting: By law, when an Atalaku works under a leader, my understanding is that it is the songs that are copyrighted and not calls or vocals and these are copyrighted under the leaders. Sima ekoli was a call under a generique produced by Werrason. The owner of the generique is Werrason and many people played on it starting from Lobeso, instrumentalists and other back end guys. In this case, will the instrumentalist also stop everyone from using their sima ekoli instrument sounds?

If I'm employed under Microsoft and the company produces an innovation I worked on as an employee, do I own it? It would be good to understand how copyright works  when it comes to music, otherwise we will have a whole chain of instrumentalists also claiming they played the sound. They will go ahead and stop all band leaders from playing songs they played a role in without acknowledging them or getting permission from them....sounds awkward!

Anyway, I stand to be corrected, Im not an expert in copyright law.

Even tho I don't agree with this law but tbh Brigade can't do much, first except maybe for Prince no one of them signed a contract so if Werra recorded an album funded the studio and got the album out the copyright of the writing goes to Werra, no matter who you are Brigade, Heriter etc plus Brigade is an Atalaku at least singers can claim that they co wrote songs or are credited in album groups as after compositeur but from Instrumentalists to Atalaku they won't get nothing in court cause their name aren't credited anywhere, usually in  Europe when you record a song if you are independent both singers and instrumentalists decide if the instrumentalists gets credited or not if you are under a label usually writer of the labels get credited as songwriters getting the pubblishing money while singers receive a part of the Royalties and most of the show money, with me I make beats and wrote by myself but last year I started to work with a beat maker and we will see how to agree on rights, Imma push for 100% rights on my side given how I have paid  studio hours, beats and mix, it would be weird to me if in 10 years thus beatmaker would come out and say that I owe him money. For Brigade I think he doesn't stand a chance with Werra, same with Koffi he spoke to Ado Yuhe about when he wanted to cone back to QL he bought his father to ask Koffi for a contract but Koffi acted as a huge friend of his father to make him forget about the contract, so yes, he will be wasting his money In lawyers senselessly

Wenge1995 #8 on: January 05, 2024, 20:36

• View Profile
CNN spoke about this in his interview with Ado Yuhe, how is it only now Brigade found out he isn’t credited? Atalakus aren't credited for their work. For example guys like Mboshi and Somono realistically could be millionaires off of royalties by Loi alone with how many times that’s been played, sampled etc. The music industry is a dirty business especially Congolese genre.

If the lawsuit is successful, does that open the doors for musicians to collect payments from their songs from group albums ?

CM PRINCE #9 on: January 05, 2024, 21:49

• View Profile

If the lawsuit is successful, does that open the doors for musicians to collect payments from their songs from group albums ?
Maybe. Because I know Fally and some former QL musicians had to fight to get the rights to their songs in group albums. Ferre and some maison mère members too. But some musicians still fear their former bosses so I don’t know if they’ll bother doing it.

archos #10 on: January 11, 2024, 11:05

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile

lobeso was asked about him and he said that apart from the fact that he is a bit of a hypocrite as friend he is a top atalaku and that indeed he talked to him about that situation and brigade confirmed that he was taking werra to court and that he already knows the amount he would get as compensation and that its serious money for his level and lobeso adds that he would not sue werra in court that way he'd try first to contact werra and solve it peacefully but he understands brigade's position

Mukulu #11 on: January 11, 2024, 14:22

• View Profile
Sima Ekoli is not his own, why is he pretending?

CM PRINCE #12 on: January 11, 2024, 15:24

• View Profile
Sima Ekoli is not his own, why is he pretending?
It’s his voice bruh and his likeness.

archos #13 on: January 11, 2024, 15:37

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
i think what mukulu said is what will be werra's defence,that animation was done by brigade but not created or brought by him,lobeso even gives in that interview the example of that lelelele bizarrely succesful thing lol(there is about two three animation like that which always got me wondering how it got viral) which they took from somebody outside kinshasa in their national primus tour and brigade did it being the main man
its like in bcbg aswell sometimes levieux mavuzi or somebody else would go to jb pres yoka bord oyo then genta inherits it as the main man,thats where the ownership conflict starts because the leaders consider themselves author since they are the ones who adopted it then gave it to their star atalaku and both the real creator and the atalaku who is just the performer of the creation are screwed

Nkosi #14 on: January 11, 2024, 15:56

• View Profile
It doesn't work like that. Sima ekoli is not a song, it is a call on werrason's song. That call was sung by Brigade working as Werrason's employee. Werrason has full rights to that call as he owns the song and paid for its production. It is just like Bill Gates, he is not the scientist who works on the innovations but an employee cannot sue him claiming to own the innovation even if he is the one who came up with it. If Brigade patented the call before he joined werrason, he sold it the moment he added the calls to Werrason's song. He then can only sue Werrason if he signed a contract restricting how the call is used. At this point, it is just ignorance at play.