Author Topic: The new Papa Wemba album review  (Read 33126 times)

Longbluesquid on: October 28, 2016, 07:35

• View Profile
This review I did on my Instagram account. Many do t know Congolese music that's why I'm quite general.

It still hurts to know that the great Papa Wemba is gone. The one I grew up listening to as a kid, still to this day Congolese music is a big part of my life. "Forever de generation en generation" is not like your typical Wemba album. This is more like pop/r&b with one rumba track. It is very beautiful although short. Wemba has a wide catalog and has ability to appeal to any musical genre, I feel this album is more like "Emotion"  which was produced by Peter Gabriel (check that one out). This album although without the fire sebenes is quite excellent in singing and a stellar lineup of featurings. Rated: highly recommended Check out: ingratitude feat Nathalie Makoma, Azanga feat Sekouba Bambino and Rumba originale feat MJ30

Matebu #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:34

• View Profile
Agreed, Wemba's ability to cover so many genres and do it so well, over the course of decades will never be matched.

To give this album context: Back in 2009-10, Wemba stated that there was to be a Notre Père Rhumba, which was released that year, and a Notre père World, which ended up being shelved. Wemba started working on Maître d'école instead, releasing a maxi-single in between. So this is technically Notre père World, but rebranded and with a few songs added.

Just got the album myself, so Ill be giving it a good listen. Finally a Congolese artist has collaborated with my favorite West African artist, Sekouba Bambino (along with Salif Keita & Youssou). He's an exceptional vocalist

For those looking for generiques and sebene songs, this is not the album for you 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:40 by Matebu »

Longbluesquid #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:48

• View Profile
Well said Matebu. Wemba is such a flexible artist. If I asked him to go collab and make rap album you would get results. One thing I miss wemba which was quite critical in Congolese music. He allowed band members to produce albums with the backing band viva la musica. That is huge, if it wasn't for that stino , reddy amisi , bendoson or alpatchino ( I know the last 2 were novelle) but the point being that Wemba wasn't selfish. That period there was many powerful albums just cause of wemba.

archos #3 on: October 28, 2016, 13:55

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
maaaaannnn we lost a massive singer,he said on tv that he actually also recorded an album of hip hop rnb songs and some jazz songs because he wanted to challenge himself and have fun aswell
when listening to song with sekouba bambino i say to myself that mandingue music is kinda close to konono in terms of rhythm
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 13:57 by archos »

Toolz #4 on: October 28, 2016, 16:26

• View Profile
Salif and Youssou are top on my list while Sekouba and Oumou follow respectively.

Matebu #5 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22

• View Profile
The top artists and other leaders highly recommend the album:

Werra, Awilo & Fenellon

Alsafro Traore

Dieumerci Mbokani

MJ30 & Nathalie

Vieux Djonyco Agbepa "Marc Bolan"

The never aging legend, Manu Dibango

Fan Club Papa Wemba Japon- Over 30 years of support

Diamond Platnumz
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 08:34 by Matebu »

MwanaMokili #6 on: November 22, 2016, 17:50

• View Profile
Once in a very long while, there emerges an artist, who extends the borders of the known genres, who is not afraid to experiment.
Such artists either make it very big, or flop big time.

Papa Wemba was such an artist who took his music wherever his spirit led.

His collaborations with different artists and genres infused into his music made sure that he got a very big fan base outside of Kinshasa.

He was a great spotter of talent ( Olomide and Wazekwa among others ) and he was always looking to promote upcoming musiscians. His leagcy lives on....

Matebu #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:11

• View Profile

Toolz #8 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24

• View Profile
I don't  know if anyone can fill the void he left behind... I am not sure really.  Smh.
Watching Singular get emotional on The Voice Afrique Francophone when 2 contestants sang Papa's Ye Te Oh really hit home hard!  Smh...

Longbluesquid #9 on: December 12, 2016, 14:52

• View Profile
Papa Wemba was in a different class. He was one of the main pioneers of creating congolese music. He will never be replaced even if someone tried. He will be missed.