Author Topic: IMPACTS OF ARTIST ON CONGOLESE MUSIC: KOFFI "Mopao" & QUARTIER LATIN  (Read 12393 times)

NEWSIDE96 on: March 22, 2014, 16:40

• View Profile
Nowadays I look on olden success which have shaped up the modern day Congolese music, Now not going to old Koffi & Quartier Latin has  had some success over the last few days even though now it is a bit diabolical artistically speaking. I'm going to speak about the pro's and con's of Koffi & Quartier Latin's impact on modern Congolese music, fellow bloggers please feel free to add your views upon this article.

Pro's:

1. New expansion in discography releasing 2CDs:
- In 1999 before the millennium Koffi was responsible for influencing artist to release albums in 2 discs (along King Kester who was recording Longue Histoire series), with 14 tracks a bit lower than future albums but it shaped up a good releases in future albums such as the milestone TH, Longue Histoire series and Kibuisa Mpimpa. Even less notiable albums such as K.O Carte Jaune, Affaire Tonya Tonya and others.

2. Consistent satisfactory in discography:
-Quartier Latin & Koffi "Mopao" where consistent with satisfying there fans with consistent discography releases at top top level because  till now Clan-Wenge are in control of Congolese music but Koffi was very competitive in all rounds (artistically and performing wise) trying to stay in the same wavelength with the Wenge's nonetheless they still released strong albums for example 1999 Attentat, 2000 Force de Frappe, 2001 Effrakata, Early 2003 Affaire D'Etat, 2004 Monde Arabe, 2005 Boma Nga Na Elengi and 2006 Danger de Mort. This impacted Congolese music heavily as other groups wanted to releases albums every to stay in massive relevances.

3. Fresh raw young talent being introduced:
Each and every year I was watching Quartier Latin there were always new artist coming in. Koffi's philosophy should be highly regraded (along with Werrason) because he finds young singers quickly trains them and introduces them into scene looking back over the years the always has been new artists being introduced not being snatched. Roi-Soleil, Gipson, Junior Kingombe, Asso Ngole, Mustafa Nkori, Chikito, Jordan Kusa, Chokoro, Bouro Mpela, Sam, Modogo, Fally, Kerozene, Brigade, Acide, Mboshi and others have all been introduced in quick succesion without any hesitation, looking JB Mpiana philosphy of recruitments his a bit slower with changes look how long Rio, Kibens, Seguin, Sunda, Fi-carre, Gentamicine and JDL has stayed for BCBG now competition and too much freedom which is not a problem a bit boring in disrespect to any of those musicians same with Felix Wazekwa. But this man was keen in making these artist stars and it work and influenced other groups to follow that style.

Con's:

1. Unordered pack of artists:
Koffi & Quartier Latin ruined Congolese music in this aspect strongly why the presence of people on stage and even songs for example having 8 artist, himself the leader, 2/3 animators, 4 guitarists, 6 female dancers, drummer, percussionist and keyboard player. This results to having 23 to 24 people on stage making an absolute calamity on stage before groups like Zaiko, Viva, Big Stars and the Wenge's they were always 4 mics or maybe 5 but since Quartier Latin's influence was strong  they influenced groups to have a immense amount of people on stage. Too messy on albums there would 6 to 7 singers singing a chorus sounding very messy too.

2. Rumba ratio taking over:
There's nothing I hate like this apart from the OK Jazz generation there has not been fully a successful album with rumbas (Droit Chemin was the only I heard quite impressive) but still Koffi and Quartier Latin are responsible for cutting down rumba-sebene's ratio to all rumba's since Monde Arabe and especially Danger de Mort. They have ruined Congolese music influencing groups to do that style.

3. Rumba's taken with no care:
Most rumba's of Quartier Latin and Koffi are so laughable and shit. Cut and Paste at is peak I think the rhythm guitarist job easy repeating the same licks and melody hailing from "Mokolo Nakokufa" of Tabu Ley's that same rhythm is repeated in every song of Koffi's song lately and other artists. The artistic levels of Congolese music has gone down the years of cut and paste and this is the reason why these calamitous rumba's which don't make any sense and adding sexual references (advisory stickers need to be added if song like this will be released to keep young children away from these songs) and mabanga songs making no sense.

Thank you guys for reading this add in your opinions if so. Look out for impact of Werra, JB and Fally soon thank you.

Jdog #1 on: March 22, 2014, 16:54

• View Profile
Koffi and Quatier Latin are responsible for rhumbas that change rhtymn in the middle of the song and they also brought some nice chrouses.....and in Monde Arabe they did have a lot of rhumbas that turn into sebene.....and Koffi did not bring new artists often he used mostly the same people from Effrakata to Danger De Mort in Monde Arabe Junior Kingombe was the only new voice we heard in 2 albums and in Boma Nga Elengi we heard Chella Mputu,Mirage,Asso and Ferre and in Danger De Mort only Ferre and Chella were used....and about the people on stage I never and still don't have a problem with it it should be 3 people on each side two animators and one drummer 4 guitarists (bass,lead,rhythm, mi-solo) and about 6 dancers on stage plus the leader. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 16:57 by Jdog »
Or moto asala le monde eza yo Nzambe tata, Kita okata po mokili trop matata, kata- Fally Ipupa

archos #2 on: March 22, 2014, 16:59

• Mighty Member
    • View Profile
hats off,well done,and i dont understand why werra jb and co blindly follow koffi with the strange rumba/sebene balance
but one think which is important to notice also is that koffi was not recruiting for the sake of recruiting,many of those guys mentioned came in because they either was matching the profile of artists koffi wanted,either direct or indirect replacement for those who leave
for example,fally was that massive dancer who could make fans forget about bouro and take over from depitsho
or junior kingombe who was  picked to replace bouro who had left
kero and brigade a replica of  bill celeo,mboshi somono in the same spirit as caludji ekokota aswell and so on...
i think there were 3 categories of recruits with koffi, the complete package one(fally bouro for example or sam),the naturally talented guys but limited(babia,tutsi,lola,deo brando),the very good dancers who were not really popular for their singing( jordan,depitsho for example)

Jdog #3 on: March 22, 2014, 17:04

• View Profile
Yes Brigade and kerozene were the Bill Celeo replica and Junior Kingombe sung Gecco's vocal in Inchallah perfectly (without sounding exactly like him) 4:37

Or moto asala le monde eza yo Nzambe tata, Kita okata po mokili trop matata, kata- Fally Ipupa

EMOVICTEAM #4 on: March 22, 2014, 17:39

• View Profile
we once indicated at some forum, that koffi came to destroy sebene because the heat of Jb vs werrason was too much for him. He succeeded because his two younger brothers have followed suit. Now ferre gola has taken koffis position in killing sebene further.

NEWSIDE96 #5 on: March 22, 2014, 17:51

• View Profile
....and about the people on stage I never and still don't have a problem with it it should be 3 people on each side two animators and one drummer 4 guitarists (bass,lead,rhythm, mi-solo) and about 6 dancers on stage plus the leader.

I see where your coming from but if you look at wenge, victoria, viva and all others look how clear and ordered everything is on stage, you can here bass, rhythm and lead easily along with keyboards, percussion and drums. nowadays there's 4/5 animators on the stage walloping, 10/8 singers how is the chorus meant to sound properly plus dedications and dedications of mabanga's it's not shows it's circus of amusement sometimes and plus the concert 7 to 8 rumba's no sebene unless intro for the instrumentalist to shine so rubbish.

masatomo #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:01

• View Profile
I totally agree with about the Rumba-ratio taking over Congolese Music that's why I hate Monde Arabe and I think Koffi's last serious album was Affaire d'Etat.
Nowadays I look on olden success which have shaped up the modern day Congolese music, Now not going to old Koffi & Quartier Latin has  had some success over the last few days even though now it is a bit diabolical artistically speaking. I'm going to speak about the pro's and con's of Koffi & Quartier Latin's impact on modern Congolese music, fellow bloggers please feel free to add your views upon this article.

Pro's:

1. New expansion in discography releasing 2CDs:
- In 1999 before the millennium Koffi was responsible for influencing artist to release albums in 2 discs (along King Kester who was recording Longue Histoire series), with 14 tracks a bit lower than future albums but it shaped up a good releases in future albums such as the milestone TH, Longue Histoire series and Kibuisa Mpimpa. Even less notiable albums such as K.O Carte Jaune, Affaire Tonya Tonya and others.

2. Consistent satisfactory in discography:
-Quartier Latin & Koffi "Mopao" where consistent with satisfying there fans with consistent discography releases at top top level because  till now Clan-Wenge are in control of Congolese music but Koffi was very competitive in all rounds (artistically and performing wise) trying to stay in the same wavelength with the Wenge's nonetheless they still released strong albums for example 1999 Attentat, 2000 Force de Frappe, 2001 Effrakata, Early 2003 Affaire D'Etat, 2004 Monde Arabe, 2005 Boma Nga Na Elengi and 2006 Danger de Mort. This impacted Congolese music heavily as other groups wanted to releases albums every to stay in massive relevances.

3. Fresh raw young talent being introduced:
Each and every year I was watching Quartier Latin there were always new artist coming in. Koffi's philosophy should be highly regraded (along with Werrason) because he finds young singers quickly trains them and introduces them into scene looking back over the years the always has been new artists being introduced not being snatched. Roi-Soleil, Gipson, Junior Kingombe, Asso Ngole, Mustafa Nkori, Chikito, Jordan Kusa, Chokoro, Bouro Mpela, Sam, Modogo, Fally, Kerozene, Brigade, Acide, Mboshi and others have all been introduced in quick succesion without any hesitation, looking JB Mpiana philosphy of recruitments his a bit slower with changes look how long Rio, Kibens, Seguin, Sunda, Fi-carre, Gentamicine and JDL has stayed for BCBG now competition and too much freedom which is not a problem a bit boring in disrespect to any of those musicians same with Felix Wazekwa. But this man was keen in making these artist stars and it work and influenced other groups to follow that style.

Con's:

1. Unordered pack of artists:
Koffi & Quartier Latin ruined Congolese music in this aspect strongly why the presence of people on stage and even songs for example having 8 artist, himself the leader, 2/3 animators, 4 guitarists, 6 female dancers, drummer, percussionist and keyboard player. This results to having 23 to 24 people on stage making an absolute calamity on stage before groups like Zaiko, Viva, Big Stars and the Wenge's they were always 4 mics or maybe 5 but since Quartier Latin's influence was strong  they influenced groups to have a immense amount of people on stage. Too messy on albums there would 6 to 7 singers singing a chorus sounding very messy too.

2. Rumba ratio taking over:
There's nothing I hate like this apart from the OK Jazz generation there has not been fully a successful album with rumbas (Droit Chemin was the only I heard quite impressive) but still Koffi and Quartier Latin are responsible for cutting down rumba-sebene's ratio to all rumba's since Monde Arabe and especially Danger de Mort. They have ruined Congolese music influencing groups to do that style.

3. Rumba's taken with no care:
Most rumba's of Quartier Latin and Koffi are so laughable and shit. Cut and Paste at is peak I think the rhythm guitarist job easy repeating the same licks and melody hailing from "Mokolo Nakokufa" of Tabu Ley's that same rhythm is repeated in every song of Koffi's song lately and other artists. The artistic levels of Congolese music has gone down the years of cut and paste and this is the reason why these calamitous rumba's which don't make any sense and adding sexual references (advisory stickers need to be added if song like this will be released to keep young children away from these songs) and mabanga songs making no sense.

Thank you guys for reading this add in your opinions if so. Look out for impact of Werra, JB and Fally soon thank you.

KAISARI #7 on: March 23, 2014, 18:21

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile
 I think Mopao just lucks serious competition if Franco and Pepe Kalle were still around then we would be singing to a different tune.
You do not beat a drum with one finger

shamala #8 on: March 23, 2014, 19:12

• View Profile
what about those he recruits to piss other leaders?
PORTE-PAROLE NON OFFICIEL DE JB MPIANA ET WENGE BCBG.

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #9 on: March 23, 2014, 19:25

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Good analysis, I will give my contribution on this sometime.
LE BIG BOSS

KAISARI #10 on: March 23, 2014, 19:35

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile
what about those he recruits to piss other leaders?
Because he can, none of those leaders can challenge him lyricly and vocaly; we saw how he woke up Mwalimu...
...look at how he schools Boitre noi...

...and here Yampanya clearly over shadows Rambo...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 19:46 by KAISARI »

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #11 on: March 23, 2014, 23:09

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Because he can, none of those leaders can challenge him lyricly and vocaly; we saw how he woke up Mwalimu...

Your comparisons are not logical because all these musicians are not in the same vocal categories. You cannot compare Papa Wemba against Koffi or Koffi against Ferre where vocals are concerned but Pepe Kalle yes because Pepe had the same vocal ranges as koffi, he could sing tenor,baritone etc just like Koffi does.
If you want to compare Papa Wemba with other singers then bring in names such us Pompon Miyake,Miel de Son,JB Mpiana,etc these are all in the same category.
LE BIG BOSS

KAISARI #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:15

• Soul Rebel
    • View Profile

Your comparisons are not logical because all these musicians are not in the same vocal categories. You cannot compare Papa Wemba against Koffi or Koffi against Ferre where vocals are concerned but Pepe Kalle yes because Pepe had the same vocal ranges as koffi, he could sing tenor,baritone etc just like Koffi does.
If you want to compare Papa Wemba with other singers then bring in names such us Pompon Miyake,Miel de Son,JB Mpiana,etc these are all in the same category.
The point I am trying to drive home is that none of the Musicians around now pose any threat to Mopao and if you put all of them on the same stage, Koffi will outshine them. You can't say the same about Yampanya who reduced Koffi to animation on that stage.

Ken Bilele #13 on: March 24, 2014, 13:42

• View Profile
Thank you KAISARI, I don't have technical know how about music but one thing that comes out clearly to me here is that at no one  point has Koffi attracted kind views here which has always made me wonder how bad he is. Koffi is not in the same age group as Werra and JB and he's managed to twist them round to his game. To me that tells a reason why he is the leader in the game.JB and Werra should have charted their own course but if they played Koffi's course then it should not be blamed on Koffi. Koffi is not a good dancer thus he may not have liked a lot of sebene and again in music you identify your type of fans which in this case he found serious mature people who don't go out to drink one bottle of skol and dance the whole night and that is not evil.

SLY PAPA NA KEVIN #14 on: March 24, 2014, 13:48

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The point I am trying to drive home is that none of the Musicians around now pose any threat to Mopao and if you put all of them on the same stage, Koffi will outshine them. You can't say the same about Yampanya who reduced Koffi to animation on that stage.
I see what you mean. Indeed he's been teaching them a lesson even with his lack of form because they want to follow what he does instead of being original.
LE BIG BOSS