Author Topic: Savenet Depitcho, why he never made it big ?  (Read 4549 times)

jeantwatwa on: March 07, 2019, 08:34

• View Profile
[][]

Can anybody explain why this talented vocalist never made it big with Quartier Latin, he's got a voice unlike any other  and the dance skills to match.

Manzambi94 #1 on: March 07, 2019, 18:58

• View Profile

Wenge1995 #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:49

• View Profile
@jeantwatwa

Depitcho was the most popular member of Quartier Latin when he first joined them in 1998. He had a loyal fan base in Europe due to his previous work with Wenge El Paris. Koffi and Werrason actively tried to recruit him, but Koffi's staff ended up being successful.

He was Koffi's favorite and fans adored him, just check out how crazy the crowd went for him during the Zenith concert of 1998 @ 6 min 38s.

Even when he left Koffi in 2000, the band was mocking him in interviews to down play his influence within the group. It was only when he left, Fally had the space to become the new favorite.

Depitcho will team up with his friends Cesar Loboko and JF Ifonge to form their band AGB Stars, but the music recieved mixed response from fans and the group quickly broke up. It was because JF Ifonge and Depitcho had a falling out over a woman they were both dating.

jeantwatwa #3 on: March 09, 2019, 07:48

• View Profile
@Wenge1995 , thanks for that eloquent analysis. I can tell the fans loved him. Mentored correctly I saw him having the qualities of a group leader, but, I guess his team is now long gone and past.

Wenge1995 #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:48

• View Profile
@jeantwatwa

You're welcome. From the 90s to the mid 2000s, the Wenge BCBG/QL/Wemba/Wenge MM were dominating album sales and promotion from journalist. If you remember, Alphatshino (RIP), Montana, Suzuki, Aimelia, and Fally Ipupa put out solo albums but were forced to join a big group when their albums flopped. The competition was too strong for one artist to be the face of an orchestra, especially when you leave your original band on bad terms.

Savanet should have picked better singers for AGB Stars; JF Ifonge was respected for his looks and his dancing abilities than as a vocalist. Just listen to his rehearsal video when they were preparing for Bercy of 99, he's very limited...and I'm being polite lol @ 3:16

Manzambi94 #5 on: March 09, 2019, 21:18

• View Profile
@jeantwatwa

You're welcome. From the 90s to the mid 2000s, the Wenge BCBG/QL/Wemba/Wenge MM were dominating album sales and promotion from journalist. If you remember, Alphatshino (RIP), Montana, Suzuki, Aimelia, and Fally Ipupa put out solo albums but were forced to join a big group when their albums flopped. The competition was too strong for one artist to be the face of an orchestra, especially when you leave your original band on bad terms.

Savanet should have picked better singers for AGB Stars; JF Ifonge was respected for his looks and his dancing abilities than as a vocalist. Just listen to his rehearsal video when they were preparing for Bercy of 99, he's very limited...and I'm being polite lol @ 3:16

It is weird of Koffi to have choosen a not excellent singer, usually he is very strict on those terms

CM PRINCE #6 on: March 09, 2019, 23:50

• View Profile
I actually don't find Depitcho a bad singer, I found him decent he just sometimes got lazy with his voice and didn't work on it as much in latino.

The reason why he didn't make it big is simply cause solo career is not for everyone, and the fact that he disappeared after leaving ql didn't help him. I always thought he left too early and I also thought it would've been better if he joined academia after he left it might have been better for him. But there are many examples of people who everyone thought would have excellent solo careers: The mpela boys, Blaine bula, aimelia, baby ndombe, soleil, sam tshintu.

Bohemian Rhapsody #7 on: March 11, 2019, 05:34

• View Profile
Is it me or does his voice sound very similar to Debaba of Choc Stars? Just wondering..

jeantwatwa #8 on: March 11, 2019, 11:22

• View Profile
[]

from 38 min , This is him at a memorial concert for Debaba, he was something of a protege for the Maestro.

jeantwatwa #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:34

• View Profile
[]

Can any of our esteemed Lingala Academics translate for us, I believe this is just after his departure from Quartier Latin