Author Topic: WHICH ARTISTS DO YOU THINK DESERVE THEIR OWN BIOPICS?  (Read 666 times)

Mwanayaafrica on: September 19, 2023, 01:11

• View Profile
Where it be their own movie, documentary, series, miniseries.
I think Koffi Olomide deserve his own biopic because he has 40 years of music career which has a lot of life-changing events that changed the trajectory of his career & a lot of drama was in his life too. I think it should be a series.

Matebu #1 on: September 19, 2023, 01:18

• View Profile
Koffi for sure - from at times struggling shy crooner to self proclaimed « Nzambe » his personality has done a complete 180 before our eyes

For the traditionalists I’d love to see a technical TPOK Jazz biopic

Manzambi94 #2 on: September 19, 2023, 01:54

• View Profile
Papa Wendo Kolosoy
Franco and Tabu Ley, Zaiko
Papa Wemba, Koffi, Pepe Kalle
Wenge Musica 4x4 as a whole so The group itself with Werra, JB, etc.
Fally, Ferre, Bill then after them at least from the 80s and 90s I really struggle to say a name I dont remember how Defao and Bozi were perceived cause I was too little but I trend to think that maybe Defao might deserve one. For the 50s to 90s period I dont really remember many bands/leaders so I have might have elft some very good groups or leader

Mfumu Vata #3 on: September 19, 2023, 03:34

• View Profile
Verckys Kiamuangana
Grand Kallé Jeff
Dr Nico
Abeti Masikini
Mpongo Love
Tshala Muana
Franco Luambo Makiadi
Tabu Ley Rochereau
Koffi Olomidé
Papa Wemba
King Kester Emeneya
Zaïko Langa Langa of Les Quatro (1971-1974)/Isifi Lokole/Yoka Lokolé
Wenge Musica 4x4
Zaïko Langa Langa of the moment when they were in conflict with Verckys and became broke until the split during the peak of their succes (1981-1988)
JB Mpiana
Werrason
Academia
Ferre Gola
Fally Ipupa
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 03:40 by Mfumu Vata »

Mfumu Vata #4 on: September 19, 2023, 03:37

• View Profile
I think that that of Koffi, Franco, Verckys, Tabu Ley,  Mpongo Love and Abeti would be the most interesting. The saddest would be that of Dr Nico, especially his last years and the way he died and maybe also that of JB for the way people were fighting his career from the Wenge split and his dark years (2002-2009)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 03:39 by Mfumu Vata »

Wenge1995 #5 on: September 19, 2023, 07:16

• View Profile
I think that that of Koffi, Franco, Verckys, Tabu Ley,  Mpongo Love and Abeti would be the most interesting. The saddest would be that of Dr Nico, especially his last years and the way he died and maybe also that of JB for the way people were fighting his career from the Wenge split and his dark years (2002-2009)

Yes, the story of Dr. Nico was very sad at the end. All those years of alcoholism finally caused kidney failure, among other ailment (some people say AIDS). I remember watching a BBC documentary that talked about Nico's visit to the United States for medical treatment from March to May of 1985, but they never disclosed what his problem was. All I know is that he died broke and alone in a Belgium hospital. I believe his drinking problem was a result of his failed marriage and his inability to establish a career outside Afrisa.

As for Mpongo Love, that woman was absolutely beautiful! I'm not sure what happened to her, I've read it was cerebral meningitis, heart attack, or that she contracted AIDS from one of Mobutu's sons (it's crazy how almost all his sons died of AIDS and all before their father – he must have been heartbroken, that's too much pain for a parent to handle).

All I know is that a lot of stories for Congolese musicians from 1950 to 1990 has really sad endings. I wish the Ministry of Culture would take an active role in ensuring our legends live decently. Too many die impoverished

Wenge1995 #6 on: September 19, 2023, 07:22

• View Profile
Verckys Kiamuangana
Grand Kallé Jeff
Dr Nico
Abeti Masikini
Mpongo Love
Tshala Muana
Franco Luambo Makiadi
Tabu Ley Rochereau
Koffi Olomidé
Papa Wemba
King Kester Emeneya
Wenge Musica 4x4
Zaïko Langa Langa of the moment when they were in conflict with Verckys and became broke until the split during the peak of their succes (1981-1988)
JB Mpiana
Werrason
Academia
Ferre Gola
Fally Ipupa

No love for Papa Wemba? The man lived an amazing life! Slept with a lot of beautiful women too, except for the rumors about sleeping with men. That's disgusting and I hope it's not true

Mfumu Vata #7 on: September 19, 2023, 07:36

• View Profile
I don’t think that you read the list well.

CM PRINCE #8 on: September 19, 2023, 08:14

• View Profile
Verckys Kiamuangana
Grand Kallé Jeff
Dr Nico
Abeti Masikini
Mpongo Love
Tshala Muana
Franco Luambo Makiadi
Tabu Ley Rochereau
Koffi Olomidé
Papa Wemba
King Kester Emeneya
Wenge Musica 4x4
JB Mpiana
Werrason
Academia
Ferre Gola
Fally Ipupa

No love for Papa Wemba? The man lived an amazing life! Slept with a lot of beautiful women too, except for the rumors about sleeping with men. That's disgusting and I hope it's not true
Bro Papa Wemba is right there under Koffi

CM PRINCE #9 on: September 19, 2023, 08:18

• View Profile
Koffi Olomide
Quartier Latin (it being focused more on the group and the conflicts and so on rather than just Koffi himself)
Wenge 4x4
Werrason
Jb Mpiana
Fally Ipupa
Ferre Gola
Wenge Maison Mère (lol with the amount of drama that’s gone on in that group it would be borderline impossible not to make one lol)
Quartier Latin Academia (the whole story from the creation all the way to the split sounds like a movie already)
Zaiko  Langa Langa
Papa Wemba
Pépé Kalle

Manzambi94 #10 on: September 19, 2023, 09:27

• View Profile
Are there any books about Congolese music artists out there?

Mfumu Vata #11 on: September 19, 2023, 17:03

• View Profile
Not really and those who are out, aren't distributed by big publishers. I know that journalist Foshino Ntumba Mukundulu a book for Papa Wemba in 2001 called "l'Odyssée", for Werrason he wrote "La Rage de Vaincre" in 2010, JB Mpiana "Ma part de Vérité" in 2005 and in 2017 "La Flamme d'un idéal" for Nyoka Longo & Zaiko Langa Langa. But they are nowhere to be found.

Books who are sold through internet are mostly books about the history of Congolese music, but not biographies focused on one person, for example Rumba on the River, The Politics of Dance Music in Mobutu’s Zaire, etc

shamala #12 on: September 20, 2023, 10:03

• View Profile
Not really and those who are out, aren't distributed by big publishers. I know that journalist Foshino Ntumba Mukundulu a book for Papa Wemba in 2001 called "l'Odyssée", for Werrason he wrote "La Rage de Vaincre" in 2010, JB Mpiana "Ma part de Vérité" in 2005 and in 2017 "La Flamme d'un idéal" for Nyoka Longo & Zaiko Langa Langa. But they are nowhere to be found.

Books who are sold through internet are mostly books about the history of Congolese music, but not biographies focused on one person, for example Rumba on the River, The Politics of Dance Music in Mobutu’s Zaire, etc

Any links to these books?
PORTE-PAROLE NON OFFICIEL DE JB MPIANA ET WENGE BCBG.

Mfumu Vata #13 on: September 20, 2023, 18:00

• View Profile
https://www.amazon.com/Rumba-River-History-Popular-Congos/dp/1859843689

https://www.amazon.com/Rumba-Rules-Politics-Dance-Mobutus/dp/0822341123

I totally forgot. Vieux Roger Izeidi has a book on the market about what he witnessed in African Fiesta and Afrisa. But since that most Congolese people don't like to read, he tried to talk about for a small part through interviews he did with Chouna Mangondo.

https://www.amazon.fr/coulisses-musique-congolaise-lAfrican-lAfrisa/dp/2842200616

Wenge1995 #14 on: September 20, 2023, 21:12

• View Profile

You know what, I think I'll write something about Congolese music. What do you guys think I should write about? Give me some ideas