Author Topic: Did Djolina join Zaïko around 2001-02?  (Read 787 times)

Sydo on: February 20, 2023, 08:16

• View Profile
    • YouTube
I saw his name on the booklet of Eureka (2002)
Formerly Musiquezairoise

Mfumu Vata #1 on: February 20, 2023, 16:17

• View Profile
Apparently he joined Zaiko, because I remember one of former Zaiko-members (must be Nono, Jimmy Yaba or Papy Cocaine) mentioning Djolina when talking about musicians that were left behind for Zenith 2002.

I had really bad luck. No wonder that he became a brother in christ for moment when coming in South Africa. I hope that Wenge 4x4 this time thinks about him and invites him for their concert at Ndolo Aiport coming summer.

Mfumu Vata #2 on: February 20, 2023, 16:28

• View Profile
I was also surprised when I his name when watching the booklet of Eureka on youtube. I didn't knew that the album was for a big part recorded. I guess that they started recording in Kinshasa after the first canceled Zenith that was planned for July 2001, when the apply for visa's got rejected which created alot of polemic, one bandleader and journalist being cited among the guys who were behind it.

I must relisten Eureka to hear the differences. I never listened properly to Eureka because of not liking the new Zaiko-team, I had only the generique and Ngoma of Bidjana on repeat.

Btw, what was the song where Papy Cocaine's animation refered to the time they spent in jail in Tanzania ? "I am call centro" or something like that.

Sydo #3 on: February 20, 2023, 23:03

• View Profile
    • YouTube
I was also surprised when I his name when watching the booklet of Eureka on youtube. I didn't knew that the album was for a big part recorded. I guess that they started recording in Kinshasa after the first canceled Zenith that was planned for July 2001, when the apply for visa's got rejected which created alot of polemic, one bandleader and journalist being cited among the guys who were behind it.

I must relisten Eureka to hear the differences. I never listened properly to Eureka because of not liking the new Zaiko-team, I had only the generique and Ngoma of Bidjana on repeat.

Btw, what was the song where Papy Cocaine's animation refered to the time they spent in jail in Tanzania ? "I am call centro" or something like that.

The song with the jail cri is Vertige (Marcel Bakenda). It’s a good album despite Nyoka Longo barely placed his voice. My fav tracks are Choix, Délestage, Criminel d’amour, Révélation and Vertige.

I guess Djolina played acoustic guitar in Délestage
Formerly Musiquezairoise

Mfumu Vata #4 on: February 21, 2023, 00:58

• View Profile
Papy Cocaine would earn more respect if he was in Quartier Latin or in Clan Wenge. He did a good job in Zaiko, but the legacy Nono and Doudou left by animating for like 20 years is to big. I think that some even don't know his name. There are even people who dont follow Zaiko, credit his cries to Nono (Lisolo ya niama zamba, nazelaka muana akola, etc.)

No disrespect, but I've always to laugh hard when hearing Delestage thinking about the way Sai Sai used to imitate Nyoka Longo's voice. I first never really paid attention to the existence of  Delestage, knowing only the remix-version of "Empreinte" until hearing the original version more than 15 years ago on Radio Okapi. I prefer the remix-version.

Sydo #5 on: February 21, 2023, 08:55

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Lol their mimicks are always funny  ;D
Formerly Musiquezairoise

Wenge1995 #6 on: February 21, 2023, 14:44

• View Profile

What was wrong with the  new team? In your opinion, did they lack charisma like the old singers? I remember you said a lot of people didn't want to join Zaiko, because they saw them as a group for old people. People only joining to go to Europe

Mfumu Vata #7 on: February 21, 2023, 15:03

• View Profile
The old singers didn't lake charisma. That's massive disrespect towards Adamo who contributed alot to Zaiko and continuted the line of Likinga Redo (RIP), They were just old (most of them being in the 30s). Music of back in the days was different than today. Bands were mostly recruited musicians based on their competences and the generation they are. In TP Ok Jazz for example it was rare to see young musicians. Things started to change from the moment Papa Wemba made Nouvelle Ecriture, King Kester Emeneya forming Dream Team Dream Band, etc. them recruiting musicians who were in the 20s and wanting to be back in the race for the n1 place by fighting Wenge. Zaiko Langa Langa doing the same thing by recruiting Deo Brondo, Willy Bula, Lassa Lacolyte, Daniel 6000 and Papy Cocaine.

They critized Zaiko very hard after the flop of Sans Issue and Backline Lesson One. Fans and the press calling the singing line-up and atalaku's incompetent. This made the admin fire the whole singing-line except Adamo and instead of recruiting singers of their age they went for young singers.

The team of Nous Y Sommes and Poison was good. But those coming after Poison didn't had the spirit of Zaiko. They were just there, because of being there. At that time many didn't like the new team of recruited singers (including me although not following Zaiko alot) and some even turned their back to Zaiko for a moment, especially during their time in Europe (2002-2009) which was a hard time. People started to say that Zaiko is dead and the youngsters messed the band up, etc. Nyoka Longo often being asked to who would he leave Zaiko the day he will not be there anymore, etc.