Author Topic: Koffi Olomide Cape Town,South Africa Concert cancelled  (Read 3612 times)

salim masoud #1 on: June 19, 2019, 15:53

• View Profile
Cape Town — Popular Congolese Rhumba and Soukous maestro Koffi Olomide who was set to perform at the Shimmy Beach Club in Cape Town on June 30, has had his show cancelled.

Shimmy Beach Club released a statement saying "Please note that Shimmy Beach will no longer be hosting Koffi Olomide. We made the decision to cancel the show last week."

This follows protests and calls by a group known as Stop Koffi Olomide to bar the musician from performing in the country after he was found guilty of statutory rape of one of his former dancers when she was 15. He had been on trial in France for sexually assaulting his dancers between 2002 and 2006. The dancers said they were detained by three men at a villa in Asnieres-sur-Seine, Paris, while Olomide was touring or recording, and had their passports and phones confiscated.

The group said "allowing him to perform in South Africa would undermine the victims, which cannot be tolerated or allowed. South Africa already has a Gender Based Violence crisis and should not be rewarding perpetrators with platforms such as this."

The popular singer is no stranger to controversy as he was declared persona non-grata in 2016 and deported after he kicked one of his female dancers at Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Kenya.

Olomide is also the subject of a judicial process in Zambia, where he was previously barred from entering after he slapped a Rwandan photo-journalist in Lusaka in 2012.

Mirobexx #2 on: June 19, 2019, 18:06

• View Profile
South Africans are generally accepting .Koffi should chill and apologise for his actions and prove he is a changed man.

Jdog #3 on: June 21, 2019, 03:43

• View Profile
At least it's not those combattants.
Or moto asala le monde eza yo Nzambe tata, Kita okata po mokili trop matata, kata- Fally Ipupa

shamala #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:06

• View Profile
With a lot of restrain I wish to weigh in.

I think Koffi should quickly find a way to deal with gender activists. Though they are in the minority and probably not even music lovers the are quite vocal. Koffi invitation to Kenya suffered a similar fate. After the judgment he was quick to misrepresent the ruling and didn't show remorse. He can even pick a CSR project.

This activism is something he quickly needs address otherwise they will always make noise whenever he has a concert outside DRC. 
PORTE-PAROLE NON OFFICIEL DE JB MPIANA ET WENGE BCBG.

Matebu #5 on: June 21, 2019, 05:35

• View Profile
I guess Zambians had sudden amnesia a year ago when he got a Presidential welcome when he was there for concerts. Now he has to be careful not to be extradited if he goes to a Southern African country

Cavalier Solitaire #6 on: June 21, 2019, 17:22

• View Profile
With a lot of restrain I wish to weigh in.

I think Koffi should quickly find a way to deal with gender activists. Though they are in the minority and probably not even music lovers the are quite vocal. Koffi invitation to Kenya suffered a similar fate. After the judgment he was quick to misrepresent the ruling and didn't show remorse. He can even pick a CSR project.

This activism is something he quickly needs address otherwise they will always make noise whenever he has a concert outside DRC.
I can't agree more. I had tough time explaining this to a friend of mine a die hard Koffi fan that, these issues will keep haunting Koffi if he doesn't change his approach. For these activists, it does not matter whether he was exonerated by the French authorities, the fact that there is evidence of violence against women (the Kenya incident) they will keep using it for their own interests. The best Koffi can do is apologize, not this thing where he is going round saying the French courts acquitted him when in fact not.

@Matebu in Zambia, he was actually banned the first time after the Kenyan incident after the a similar campaign by rights activists. He was suppose to come for some festival and after protests by women groups he was replaced by Werrason, then the following year it was Ferre who instead came. That third attempt was also almost canceled but for intervention of some politicians who are his fans. It would be interesting to know what would happen now that there is even a judgement by the French authorities. In any way you look at it Koffi's PR team need to change their way of handling his issues because they will keep popping up from time to depending on which country it is.