Congo Vibes
Music => Congolese Music => Topic started by: Manzambi94 on August 06, 2018, 22:50
-
I don't know what place to visit can you help ?
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
That’s not a nice way to talk about our country...it’s not all bad
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
That’s not a nice way to talk about our country...it’s not all bad
That’s why I made sure to add “it pains me to say”. I went on road trip with some friends a few years ago between Kin-Kikwit-Kanaga- Mbuji Mayi- Mwene-Ditu and back. Overall, it was sad to see the country in dispair. We almost got robbed a few times as well
(https://s22.postimg.cc/483z7ldep/94_AFE0_F4-_A2_A9-4_E27-_B78_E-9_E42_DF3_DB148.jpg) (https://postimages.org/)
(https://s22.postimg.cc/cqdfbxrn5/D384_B98_C-6_B6_D-4420-9_CE1-29_D3_BB1_C2047.jpg) (https://postimages.org/)
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
That’s not a nice way to talk about our country...it’s not all bad
I second that... I went a few years ago it really wasn't that bad
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
It is my first time actually it will be my first time in Africa and I think I will rent an hotel since you know how Congolese families are when they know.you live in Europe, I wish to see the cool parts of the country, you like Daisy Simonini (Donor of JB'sdaughter) did when she came there, only see the good parts
-
My boss and some of my colleagues have been working on a project in Kinshasa for close to two months now and I do not think the city is that terrible. This would not be their first time of going there. If it is that bad, they would not have continued with the project they went to do there. I guess what matters is knowing where to go or be per time.
-
Some parts are excellent,some parts are good some are bad,the biggest issues power cuts whiçh can happen anytime and which can be quite long,and gangsters,now in kinshasa the gangster business if we give it the honour to call it like that has developped seriously,only God can make you have a 100 per cent safe trip
as for where to visit,i'd suggest the swahili parts in general,lubumbashi and its region or goma uvira bunia butembo and co,you will not believe your eyes at times in terms of beautiful landscapes
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
It is my first time actually it will be my first time in Africa and I think I will rent an hotel since you know how Congolese families are when they know.you live in Europe, I wish to see the cool parts of the country, you like Daisy Simonini (Donor of JB'sdaughter) did when she came there, only see the good parts
8 Things to Remember:
1. Assuming that you're Congolese-American, keep in mind, you will ALWAYS get visitors. Even from people you don't know and they WILL ask you for money. Be prepared for that.
2. Make sure to carry minimal cash. You're going to need it to pay people who do services for you. ESPECIALLY when you leave the airport into Kinshasa.
3. Your hotel room is not your hotel room. Yes you may have paid for it, but remember point #1, you will always get visitors. Your family members may even come and spend the night without your permission and there's nothing you can do about it.
4. Be sure to tour the city with a family member that you know and trust.
5. Always drink and brush your teeth with bottled water. Don't drink or eat anything unless it's packaged or you know what it is or what's in it. Obviously for sanitation purposes but for other reasons I won't get into. (Trust me on this).
6. American street smarts are different from Congolese street smarts. Keep your eyes open and always be vigilant.
7. Congo is an "election year" right now so tensions are extremely high. Be sure to let the US embassy know that you're there in case you need to be evacuated.
8. There will be some instances where you may want to experience night life, concerts, night clubs etc. Seeing that you're in town, your may family/friends want to share that experience with you and most of the time they won't have any money. Be prepared to pay their way.
My post may sound harsh but there's a bit of satire in it. These are situations that happened to me while I was there and I do plan on going back in maybe 3 years. All in all, have fun and be safe.
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
It is my first time actually it will be my first time in Africa and I think I will rent an hotel since you know how Congolese families are when they know.you live in Europe, I wish to see the cool parts of the country, you like Daisy Simonini (Donor of JB'sdaughter) did when she came there, only see the good parts
8 Things to Remember:
1. Assuming that you're Congolese-American, keep in mind, you will ALWAYS get visitors. Even from people you don't know and they WILL ask you for money. Be prepared for that.
2. Make sure to carry minimal cash. You're going to need it to pay people who do services for you. ESPECIALLY when you leave the airport into Kinshasa.
3. Your hotel room is not your hotel room. Yes you may have paid for it, but remember point #1, you will always get visitors. Your family members may even come and spend the night without your permission and there's nothing you can do about it.
4. Be sure to tour the city with a family member that you know and trust.
5. Always drink and brush your teeth with bottled water. Don't drink or eat anything unless it's packaged or you know what it is or what's in it. Obviously for sanitation purposes but for other reasons I won't get into. (Trust me on this).
6. American street smarts are different from Congolese street smarts. Keep your eyes open and always be vigilant.
7. Congo is an "election year" right now so tensions are extremely high. Be sure to let the US embassy know that you're there in case you need to be evacuated.
8. There will be some instances where you may want to experience night life, concerts, night clubs etc. Seeing that you're in town, your may family/friends want to share that experience with you and most of the time they won't have any money. Be prepared to pay their way.
My post may sound harsh but there's a bit of satire in it. These are situations that happened to me while I was there and I do plan on going back in maybe 3 years. All in all, have fun and be safe.
Wow, I am Italian/Angolan/Congolese and I think the welcoming will be the same, I hate to do it, but I will not inform my Uncle and his family in Kin, and since Kin is having a lot of gangsta I have chosen to go to Lubumbashi or the Swahili part, in Haut Katanga I will try to eat my food for as much as possible.
I will go there with a lady that is a Swahili speaker and has been there before so I am fine with that, the problem I am fearing is that someone might Robb me or getting spiritual attacked, I think I will find some church to go to and for the cheques asking for money I honestly don't know how to handle it.
I don't know if there is an Italian embassy in Congo but I think I could not visit if it is because it will be surely located on Kin, for the nightclubs I really think I will go there but I will not go for concerts especially La Zamba and so, my trip will be one week long and I am planning 5o do it next year from July to August, I am making this trio because I think that it is important to understand where you come from even though I know I will not.like some things I need to go there thanks a lot for the advices to you all
-
Wow, I am Italian/Angolan/Congolese and I think the welcoming will be the same, I hate to do it, but I will not inform my Uncle and his family in Kin, and since Kin is having a lot of gangsta I have chosen to go to Lubumbashi or the Swahili part, in Haut Katanga I will try to eat my food for as much as possible.
I will go there with a lady that is a Swahili speaker and has been there before so I am fine with that, the problem I am fearing is that someone might Robb me or getting spiritual attacked, I think I will find some church to go to and for the cheques asking for money I honestly don't know how to handle it.
I don't know if there is an Italian embassy in Congo but I think I could not visit if it is because it will be surely located on Kin, for the nightclubs I really think I will go there but I will not go for concerts especially La Zamba and so, my trip will be one week long and I am planning 5o do it next year from July to August, I am making this trio because I think that it is important to understand where you come from even though I know I will not.like some things I need to go there thanks a lot for the advices to you all
Apologies for the American assumption, but you're right. Europeans get the same treatment just like Americans. In regards to spiritual warfare, this is why I say to be cognizant of what you put in your mouth, what you put on your skin and who you meet in the streets. That nkisi shit is real. I have never been to Lubumbashi, but I hear it's cleaner than Kinshasa? I believe Kin's issue with the trash and cleanliness is the overcrowding and the lack of governing which is extremely sad. For the most part you'll be fine. I went there for the first time to bury my dad who was there visiting with my mom and died in Johannesburg some 8 years ago. After the ceremonies, I did have a good time but you will experience some culture shock.
-
Great tips from @Tata Nkiadi. Was going to mention tips already listed. These advices may seem harsh, but it's better to be over-prepared than culture-shocked.
- Get recommended shots at the doctor.
- For you first trip, I reccomend visiting Kinshasa and getting a hotel in a nice part of town like Gombe, Bon Marche, Lingwala, etc that way you get have some Western comforts to balance you first African experience.
- New hotels like Hotel Beatrice and Hotel Invest are actually reasonable priced for a few days stay and really nice places to be. If you have middle to upper class family living there, there may be no need for a hotel.
- Make sure to always travel with someone like family because you many think you know how to handle yourself on the streets but thieves see foreigner from a mile away, doesn't matter you skin color. If you make friends with a taxi driver, then you'd get a good taste of places to see in the cities as well as nice beaches and what not.
* Keep valuables in your hotel room and carry a bit of cash in the event you are forced to pay a bribe (starting at N'jili Airport often times) or if you are (god-forbid) robbed. It's better to give them a few bucks and let them go rather than be stuck up with a weapon near your head.
- Buy a cheap cell phone to use for obvoius reasons.
To be honest like @Tata Nkiadi said this is election period and can almost guarantee there will be bloodshed in the very, very near future. I'd might even go as far as to say hold off until next year. You'll have to answer many questions at your local embassy to get a visa. Also, Congolese in the diaspora often get detained at the airport because they randomnly think you are a combattant returning. I know ex-head of police Gen Kanyama used to enforce that so much. Probably still the same now
----
- On your later trips ... if you bring a decent amount of money $100-200 to Matonge, you could put a full band together in one day and become a band leader yourself. Something I would like to do in the future.
- My cousin always goes to La Zamba and Hertier's public reptitions at a bar, so if you get the address from a local you can attend since it's a weekly thing. Really cool experience.
-
- On your later trips ... if you bring a decent amount of money $100-200 to Matonge, you could put a full band together in one day and become a band leader yourself. Something I would like to do in the future.
@Ndeko Matebu you always crack me up with this. It has now gone down from $500 to $200 to put up a band. ;D ;D ;D.
-------------
I have also been seriously contemplating making the voyage to DRC, Kinshasa to be specific in the near future, seeing that my Grandmother (only sad part is she died while i was young) on my mother's side was from Lubumbashi, Minga area and i have a number of relatives there. These pointers will definitely come in handy.
-
- On your later trips ... if you bring a decent amount of money $100-200 to Matonge, you could put a full band together in one day and become a band leader yourself. Something I would like to do in the future.
@Ndeko Matebu you always crack me up with this. It has now gone down from $500 to $200 to put up a band. ;D ;D ;D.
kiekie, the way our artists pay our musicians I figured the price could be lowered :D
Remeber the sensation Kilebu from Maison Mere? He did just that and put out a fire generique and few songs. He's a school teacher in the states. To me this better than all the generiques released this summer. Shout out to him
He's the drummer too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-bLOWQx2g&frags=pl%2Cwn
He even tells the story here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJMg6f46Fo
-
- On your later trips ... if you bring a decent amount of money $100-200 to Matonge, you could put a full band together in one day and become a band leader yourself. Something I would like to do in the future.
@Ndeko Matebu you always crack me up with this. It has now gone down from $500 to $200 to put up a band. ;D ;D ;D.
kiekie, the way our artists pay our musicians I figured the price could be lowered :D
Remeber the sensation Kilebu from Maison Mere? He did just that and put out a fire generique and few songs. He's a school teacher in the states. To me this better than all the generiques released this summer. Shout out to him
He's the drummer too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-bLOWQx2g&frags=pl%2Cwn
He even tells the story here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJMg6f46Fo
Oh my God I am dying of laughter, h3 is the guy to contact if you want to make a vacation in the states.
-
kiekie, the way our artists pay our musicians I figured the price could be lowered :D
Remeber the sensation Kilebu from Maison Mere? He did just that and put out a fire generique and few songs. He's a school teacher in the states. To me this better than all the generiques released this summer. Shout out to him
He's the drummer too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-bLOWQx2g&frags=pl%2Cwn
He even tells the story here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJMg6f46Fo
I remember seeing this man in Nairobi when WMM played at the Carnivore. Just before the band took to the stage we were having some drinks, Werrason came in to the pub area with his entourage, accompanied by this 'mzungu' man who proceeded to converse in Lingala to the astonishment of all the other patrons around. Later during the performance he got on stage and proceeeded to dance to the beats like no white man has ever done....
This Generique was also very good.
Do you know who was the soloist in this?
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
It is my first time actually it will be my first time in Africa and I think I will rent an hotel since you know how Congolese families are when they know.you live in Europe, I wish to see the cool parts of the country, you like Daisy Simonini (Donor of JB'sdaughter) did when she came there, only see the good parts
8 Things to Remember:
1. Assuming that you're Congolese-American, keep in mind, you will ALWAYS get visitors. Even from people you don't know and they WILL ask you for money. Be prepared for that.
2. Make sure to carry minimal cash. You're going to need it to pay people who do services for you. ESPECIALLY when you leave the airport into Kinshasa.
3. Your hotel room is not your hotel room. Yes you may have paid for it, but remember point #1, you will always get visitors. Your family members may even come and spend the night without your permission and there's nothing you can do about it.
4. Be sure to tour the city with a family member that you know and trust.
5. Always drink and brush your teeth with bottled water. Don't drink or eat anything unless it's packaged or you know what it is or what's in it. Obviously for sanitation purposes but for other reasons I won't get into. (Trust me on this).
6. American street smarts are different from Congolese street smarts. Keep your eyes open and always be vigilant.
7. Congo is an "election year" right now so tensions are extremely high. Be sure to let the US embassy know that you're there in case you need to be evacuated.
8. There will be some instances where you may want to experience night life, concerts, night clubs etc. Seeing that you're in town, your may family/friends want to share that experience with you and most of the time they won't have any money. Be prepared to pay their way.
My post may sound harsh but there's a bit of satire in it. These are situations that happened to me while I was there and I do plan on going back in maybe 3 years. All in all, have fun and be safe.
Wow, I am Italian/Angolan/Congolese and I think the welcoming will be the same, I hate to do it, but I will not inform my Uncle and his family in Kin, and since Kin is having a lot of gangsta I have chosen to go to Lubumbashi or the Swahili part, in Haut Katanga I will try to eat my food for as much as possible.
I will go there with a lady that is a Swahili speaker and has been there before so I am fine with that, the problem I am fearing is that someone might Robb me or getting spiritual attacked, I think I will find some church to go to and for the cheques asking for money I honestly don't know how to handle it.
I don't know if there is an Italian embassy in Congo but I think I could not visit if it is because it will be surely located on Kin, for the nightclubs I really think I will go there but I will not go for concerts especially La Zamba and so, my trip will be one week long and I am planning 5o do it next year from July to August, I am making this trio because I think that it is important to understand where you come from even though I know I will not.like some things I need to go there thanks a lot for the advices to you all
I think there is good in informing your uncle. August next year is 12 months ahead you can make money to entertain your uncle plus your cousins back home. Congo is in a stage that will not last forever, one day it shall rise and I can smell it from far. If I were you, I would be more interested with opportunities Congo can offer more that good scenes to visit. Congo has endless opportunities for you to think about. If I'm honest with you, you will enjoy life and be more valued in Congo than in Rome and any other major cities of Europe and America. Start thinking of how you can come up with an empire in Congo when finally it gets peace with itself.
-
Before I give advice, two questions... Is it your first time visiting the country?
Are you looking for a scenic, nice trip or the authentic DRC experience? Sound like a silly question, but the country is as miserable as it gets in all common parts of cities it pains me to say ... the poorest people you’ll ever see, garbage everywhere and associated smells, foods that’ll make you sick for days because it’s so unsanitary, etc.
It is my first time actually it will be my first time in Africa and I think I will rent an hotel since you know how Congolese families are when they know.you live in Europe, I wish to see the cool parts of the country, you like Daisy Simonini (Donor of JB'sdaughter) did when she came there, only see the good parts
8 Things to Remember:
1. Assuming that you're Congolese-American, keep in mind, you will ALWAYS get visitors. Even from people you don't know and they WILL ask you for money. Be prepared for that.
2. Make sure to carry minimal cash. You're going to need it to pay people who do services for you. ESPECIALLY when you leave the airport into Kinshasa.
3. Your hotel room is not your hotel room. Yes you may have paid for it, but remember point #1, you will always get visitors. Your family members may even come and spend the night without your permission and there's nothing you can do about it.
4. Be sure to tour the city with a family member that you know and trust.
5. Always drink and brush your teeth with bottled water. Don't drink or eat anything unless it's packaged or you know what it is or what's in it. Obviously for sanitation purposes but for other reasons I won't get into. (Trust me on this).
6. American street smarts are different from Congolese street smarts. Keep your eyes open and always be vigilant.
7. Congo is an "election year" right now so tensions are extremely high. Be sure to let the US embassy know that you're there in case you need to be evacuated.
8. There will be some instances where you may want to experience night life, concerts, night clubs etc. Seeing that you're in town, your may family/friends want to share that experience with you and most of the time they won't have any money. Be prepared to pay their way.
My post may sound harsh but there's a bit of satire in it. These are situations that happened to me while I was there and I do plan on going back in maybe 3 years. All in all, have fun and be safe.
Wow, I am Italian/Angolan/Congolese and I think the welcoming will be the same, I hate to do it, but I will not inform my Uncle and his family in Kin, and since Kin is having a lot of gangsta I have chosen to go to Lubumbashi or the Swahili part, in Haut Katanga I will try to eat my food for as much as possible.
I will go there with a lady that is a Swahili speaker and has been there before so I am fine with that, the problem I am fearing is that someone might Robb me or getting spiritual attacked, I think I will find some church to go to and for the cheques asking for money I honestly don't know how to handle it.
I don't know if there is an Italian embassy in Congo but I think I could not visit if it is because it will be surely located on Kin, for the nightclubs I really think I will go there but I will not go for concerts especially La Zamba and so, my trip will be one week long and I am planning 5o do it next year from July to August, I am making this trio because I think that it is important to understand where you come from even though I know I will not.like some things I need to go there thanks a lot for the advices to you all
I think there is good in informing your uncle. August next year is 12 months ahead you can make money to entertain your uncle plus your cousins back home. Congo is in a stage that will not last forever, one day it shall rise and I can smell it from far. If I were you, I would be more interested with opportunities Congo can offer more that good scenes to visit. Congo has endless opportunities for you to think about. If I'm honest with you, you will enjoy life and be more valued in Congo than in Rome and any other major cities of Europe and America. Start thinking of how you can come up with an empire in Congo when finally it gets peace with itself.
I would already have gone away from Italy and went to France, Congo, Angola or whatever country but the problem is that I have a lot of business here but in the future I will contact UA to ask them what good projects I can make on African Bantu soil, and no I will not inform him, because even if I hate to say it my uncle.in Congo used to literally call for everything, everything, clothes, money, wherever he needed something he was asking that to us, and I was mad at my parents for always giving him things when we were in need, so you can imagine if he knew that his nephew from Europe with Italian citizenship just came to kin, can you imagine the chaos he will bring? Plus with whole these spiritual staff and with the testimony of many even family members unfortunately are the one you need to be keeping an eye on, I will wait for election and hope that things get normal at least with no blood involved and then go.