@Matebu The first half of Bill Clinton's rhumba for Les Marquis was surprisingly really good, he held his own as a vocalist. It remains of my favorites, although I'm not sure what you mean by "wesh parody music"?The second half of that song did get a little strange, his vocals at that point reminded me of a dancehall MC. To be fair, Bill Clinton's rough voice would make a singing career difficult, same goes for Kerozene and others with similar vocal range.Even with your example of Tutu Caludji and CNN, their solo careers didn't exactly go as successful as planned.
@MatebuThanks for the translation! Djouna Mumbafu may be the only atalaku that's transitioned into a solo artist successfully, in my opinion. Much of that may have to do with fan sympathy for Empire Bakuba when Pepe Kalle passed away, which further increased fan support of Djouna well after Kalle's death in 1998.The impact of Tonnerre De Brest is proof of loyalist fan base over a period of time, that album was poised for success. I'm surprised he never followed up afterwards with another album...I'm surprised archos hasn't done a biography for Pepe Kalle? He was a pretty influencial guy in Congolese music.
@archosThat is very true, never really realize how long Koffi's career is...I'm surprised that there is no comprehensive documentary about congolese music, it's a rich history.